• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Adventurous An Eater Are You?

What would you eat?

• Pig feet

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • Blood based foods

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Offal/Organ meat

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • Durian fruit

• Century Egg

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • One or more of any type of insect

• Raw fish

Votes: 11 68.8%
  • Raw other meats

Votes: 8 50.0%

• Total voters

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I have to admit that after some travel and deep diving into international recipe books for a while leaves me feeling that American food is, in a way, incredibly limited on ingredients and preparation types.
Even most Western countries outside of the US commonly use things like pig feet, beef knuckles, organ meat, and a wide variety of fermented foods outside of just fermented grains.

What are some unusual foods you've tried or positive experiences with food outside your comfort zone?

For me, I buy chicken feet fairly regularly because it's an inexpensive way to make really, really good chicken stock with lots of collagen and bone minerals.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I voted for none, however as I learn to cook I will be willing to try more things. My experiences with food have not always been pleasant, and very often its not the ingredients that matter but how they are prepared.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I have to admit that after some travel and deep diving into international recipe books for a while leaves me feeling that American food is, in a way, incredibly limited on ingredients and preparation types.
Even most Western countries outside of the US commonly use things like pig feet, beef knuckles, organ meat, and a wide variety of fermented foods outside of just fermented grains.

What are some unusual foods you've tried or positive experiences with food outside your comfort zone?

For me, I buy chicken feet fairly regularly because it's an inexpensive way to make really, really good chicken stock with lots of collagen and bone minerals.
I changed and voted for one or more insect types. I would be willing to try chocolate covered ants and maybe scorpion on a stick.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I love pickled pigs feet. Not much meat but for what's there it's awesome at least for my taste buds.

I heard fried grasshoppers taste like sardines which I might try if I ever get the opportunity if it has a salty smoky taste.

I draw the line at balut. I'm not too keen on eating fetus/ducklings inside the shell no matter how delicious people say it tastes.

I also will never try eating eggs boiled in children's urine or any egg in urine for that matter.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
I’ll try just about anything.

In addition to much of the above, I’ve had pig brains (love it with ketchup, lol), alligator, rattlesnake, meal worms, crickets, frog legs (not too strange), black ants, octopus....others, but I can’t remember right now.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Roman recipe: a pajata (calf intestine and tomato sauce)

The mere idea of sushi makes me puke

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I’ll try just about anything.

In addition to much of the above, I’ve had pig brains (love it with ketchup, lol), alligator, rattlesnake, meal worms, crickets, frog legs (not too strange), black ants, octopus....others, but I can’t remember right now.
Did you also select blood based foods? I imagine that was before becoming JW.

Actually quite like alligator. I noticed that it does have a different taste depending on if it's being fed mostly a fish based diet or chicken based diet and prefer the latter.
I haven't tried brains yet but I have had insects before. Much of what you've described. I am curious to try grubs in various dishes.

Jumi

Is it still adventurous if some of those are things people eat regularly where you live? :) Stuff like liver in various pastes or foods, raw fish and blood sausages are quite common here. Some eco folk have been trying to add insect to people's menu for a few years.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
As a kid at school we all had to try "bush tucker" which included a type of insect called "widgety grubs." Not sure I spelt that right but there you go.
My mum has always cooked with chicken feet and being Fijian/Indian has used ingredient that would make Westerners do a double take. So I kind of grew up eating all sorts.

Earthling

David Henson
I loved pickled pigs feet when I was a kid. And head cheese. Liver. I've had and liked beef, pork, chicken and snapping turtle livers. I've had chicken and turkey heart, gizzard which I didn't care for. They were like rubber. I will usually try different foods, but things like you sometimes see that are not common to American cuisine are just gross. Like the smell of the Durian Fruit. Raw fish and meats, the Century Egg . . . My grandma turned me on to head cheese and pickled pigs feet when I was a kid. But she used to eat brain and tongue and I had to draw the line there.

To me it seems Americans are really uptight about what meat they eat. Pork, beef, chicken, lamb, turkey, and fish. If you're country folk rabbit, squirrel, frog, deer . . . but alligator, snake, and other meats are left to the more adventurists.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Is it still adventurous if some of those are things people eat regularly where you live? :) Stuff like liver in various pastes or foods, raw fish and blood sausages are quite common here. Some eco folk have been trying to add insect to people's menu for a few years.
I know, right?
stereotypes and rumors say u guys use whale fat instead of olive oil...
I hope it's just a rumor:D

I think I've eaten all of the things listed, one of my favourite foods is heart (especially chicken), kidney is also good, but stomach (tripe), and intestines aren't (unless they are surrounding sausages)

Also, fertilised duck egg containing a duck embryo that, unsurprisingly looks like a mini duck chick which is quite nice. Tried snake, which is unremarkable, and drank snake blood mixed with whisky, which was rank. There's actually a snake cafe round the corner from my apartment.

Durian is rank as are those old eggs. Crickets are crunchy and pretty flavourless.

Would eat most things once, although have been offered deep-fried tarantula and I drew the line at that. Also wouldn't eat penises, testicles or monkeys

Jumi

I know, right?
stereotypes and rumors say u guys use whale fat instead of olive oil...
I hope it's just a rumor:D
Never heard of such stereotype, people are up in arms about whale rights if such topic comes up. So whale oil rumor is false... :)

Audie

Veteran Member

I have eaten all on the list except for meat.

Mindmaster

Premium Member

I'll eat anything if I have to if it qualifies as food, that's about it. Despite what people think raw food is mostly fine in the USA, and certain things taste better that way. (Prime rib, roast beef, etc are way better rare. Lamb and pork roast, ditto.) Most of the contaminates are on the outside of the meat and a good hard washing eliminates any problems. In the USA, all meats are tested for parasites so this typically isn't something you have to worry about "cooking out". I've ate raw seafood and it was no big deal, either. I've never been hungry enough to eat a bug unless it was a lobster, shrimp, or crawdad, but I imagine it could happen, in a survival situation, and I wouldn't give it a second thought. If it's me or the bug, I'm gonna be around, lol.

Though, there are some I don't like. I'm pretty whatever on broccoli and canned spinach (I taste the can, fresh, I love), lol

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I think I've eaten all of the things listed, one of my favourite foods is heart (especially chicken), kidney is also good, but stomach (tripe), and intestines aren't (unless they are surrounding sausages)

Also, fertilised duck egg containing a duck embryo that, unsurprisingly looks like a mini duck chick which is quite nice. Tried snake, which is unremarkable, and drank snake blood mixed with whisky, which was rank. There's actually a snake cafe round the corner from my apartment.

Durian is rank as are those old eggs. Crickets are crunchy and pretty flavourless.

Would eat most things once, although have been offered deep-fried tarantula and I drew the line at that. Also wouldn't eat penises, testicles or monkeys
As an ingredient stomach can be quite tasty. Try menudo at a good quality Mexican restaurant. It is basically cow stomach soup.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I see you left off antelope chitterlings (chitlins to us southern types). Everyone should have the distinct pleasure of eating at least one of these devils once in their lives.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
As an ingredient stomach can be quite tasty. Try menudo at a good quality Mexican restaurant. It is basically cow stomach soup.
I've had fish stomach.
It's OK, as are fish eyes.
Btw, fish eggs are heavenly.
Chicken & duck feet aren't so great.