• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Homosexual Marriages (Again)

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
YmirGF said:
More importantly WHY should I care just what the Bible says?
I haven't a clue. What you think about the Bible is wholly irrelevant to me. Furthermore, as a naturalist, my ethics are in no way based on Scripture. Finally, I fully and vigorously support same-sex marriage.

pdoel

Deut. 10:19 said:
I am not quoting the Bible to say that homosexuality is wrong but, rather, quoting where the Bible says that homosexuality is wrong. Learn the difference.
And I gave Bible verses to show where your verses would no longer be relevant. You decided to make a comment that had nothing to do with what I said.

Why turn a good debate into something so petty?

Deut 13:1

I'll take up the debate with you on 20:13.

I'll await your response, note, I won't bother reading Mark or Mathew, or John, or Billy, or Bob, or Luke, or whoever the other apostles were wrote.

Ceridwen018

But throughout the scriptures God has repeatedly said homosexuality is wrong.
If I'm remembering correctly, God doesn't actually say a whole lot in the Bible. He is quoted a few times, and lots of people presume to speak for him, but I can't recall any instance in which God, personally, states that homosexuality is wrong. Just a thought...

gnomon

mormonman said:
It doesn't matter what gender you become after you are born, God made you male or female. If a male has a sex change he's still a man. I've heard some people that have said that God created them gay. But throughout the scriptures God has repeatedly said homosexuality is wrong. If God did create them this way, then He is a hypocrite. God can't be a hypocrite, because he is perfect. So if homosexuality is religiously wrong, there shouldn't be any question that gay marriage is wrong.
Your first point is in fact not true. Many people are born neither male nor female by the traditional sense of the terms. As well, from a genetic perspective, some people are not clearly male or female.

And I'm not talking about transgenderism. Look at a few sites about intersex. As far as genetics and human gender, look at some sites about mosaicism, xy gender females, xx gender males and much more. Our understanding about human nature and sexuality is still not complete enough to assert that a Creator makes us male or female and that is it.

standing_on_one_foot

In the OT, anyway, G-d seems to be awfully quiet about female homosexuality...so perhaps lesbian marriage is fine? And if we're talking NT, G-d also seems to change His mind about various rules (keeping kosher being a good example)...does that make G-d a hypocrite?

You think about it, having gay marriage means that at least homosexuals (well, those who marry) wouldn't be having sex outside of marriage. You practically halve your sins that way! (I realize this is a dumb arguement. 'Tis a joke. Sort of.)

Now, there's only a few mentions about homosexuality throughout the Bible, but I do recall Jesus being pretty clear about his feelings on divorce (funny how not as many people are up in arms about allowing divorce in this country). Which makes you wonder...if we allowed gay marriage (which would, supposedly, be sinful), would gay divorce be really, REALLY bad?

pdoel

standing_on_one_foot said:
Now, there's only a few mentions about homosexuality throughout the Bible, but I do recall Jesus being pretty clear about his feelings on divorce (funny how not as many people are up in arms about allowing divorce in this country). Which makes you wonder...if we allowed gay marriage (which would, supposedly, be sinful), would gay divorce be really, REALLY bad?
This is the point that just makes me laugh so much. People are so up in arms about the thought of gay marriage, and will quote every Bible verse they can find to say why it's wrong.

Yet, these same people say NOTHING about divorce. And MANY of them have HAD divorces. A bit of "Do as I say, not as I do", huh? Makes me sick the type of hypocrits that are most outspoken on the matter.

:banghead3

longbowshooter

A secular reason would be Social Security benefits. Once we allow two consenting adults to join in a Civil Union we open the system to parents and children. A 20 minute operation could take care of the birth defect through incest issue. Once co-joined the child would be quallified for lifelong benefits. Once one child could gain benefits, it would be discrimination to not allow all children to access the same. The system would bankrupt in a year.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
longbowshooter said:
A secular reason would be Social Security benefits. Once we allow two consenting adults to join in a Civil Union we open the system to parents and children. A 20 minute operation could take care of the birth defect through incest issue. Once co-joined the child would be quallified for lifelong benefits. Once one child could gain benefits, it would be discrimination to not allow all children to access the same. The system would bankrupt in a year.
So, you're going under the assumption that civil marriage for same sex couples will lead to parents and children having sex? You must really think low of the love that two adults, who just happen to of the same sex, can have for each other in that is your conclusion.

mr.guy

crapsack
I didn't know conjoined twins were exclusively caused by incest. I learn really useful stuff here.

pdoel

longbowshooter said:
So co-joined twins are the only issue with incestual offspring? What about retardation or other birth defects?

Unfortunately, I don't see any relevance to your reasoning.

As it is now, people with disabilities qualify for government aid, welfare, social security. So I don't see that changing as a result of a civil union. Also, a civil union or a gay marriage would not be for a mother and her child. Or a father and his child. Or even two siblings. The same rules would apply as do now for an opposite sex marriage.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Longbowshooter, you assert:

longbowshooter said:
Once we allow two consenting adults to join in a Civil Union we open the system to parents and children.
But you fail to demonstrate how legalized incest would necessarily follow from civil unions for homosexuals. On the contrary, there doesn't seem to be any reason why society would have to legalize incest if it legalized homosexual unions, or even homosexual marriage.

Okay, I guess no one wants to debate scripture, so everyone here agrees that according to G-d, homosexual ACTS are wrong and shouldn't be partaken in.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Through the last few months, through knowledge and understanding, I've had a change of heart form my past stance. Let gays marry. Straight men wrote the Bible, from what they thought God said to them. God created all, and everyone of God's creatures have a right to happiness. It took awhile for my wife to get it through my thick, Christian raised head.. But she did. ;)

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Binyamin said:
Okay, I guess no one wants to debate scripture, so everyone here agrees that according to G-d, homosexual ACTS are wrong and shouldn't be partaken in.
Not me. I don't think that bigoted Scripture has anything whatsoever to do with God(s).

Deut. 10:19 said:
Not me. I don't think that bigoted Scripture has anything whatsoever to to with God(s).
Well, that's a different debate. ;)

Let me rephrase my comment, according to the Torah, which is given by G-d from our point of view, homosexual acts are wrong and should be avoided.

mr.guy

crapsack
Binyamin said:
I would sooner agree that god's law is frequently manhandled by his p.r. people.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Binyamin said:
The case could be made for that if you are Jewish or Christian, but since I am neither I am not interested your interpretation of your religion's scripture. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt... and still haven't changed my mind or my sexuality. Thanks. ;)