• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Historical Jesus

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Yeah......
But this thread is surely titled 'Historic Jesus' and not 'Historic Christ'

Christ, Christians, Christianity never surfaced in the life or mission of Jesus, surely?

Historic Jresus is surely all about a Jewish handworker who extended John the Baptist's movement of righteous treatment for poor working folks, as demonstrated by his vocation to achieve the Remission of Sins by Immersion in water and confession...?

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
If I can interject, I'm really not sure that this is really a "problem" as each does place personal experiences/observations, etc, over any kind of blind faith (I'm not accusing you of the latter, btw). As the Dalai Lama has said, if science goes against the scriptures, go with science as the scriptures were written at a time when we knew far less about a lot of things, plus they often contain superstition.

Now you can return back to your regularly scheduled program. ;)

Thank you metis for the light relief. It certainly is worth considering. I see all these beautiful people from different faiths so I'm not too keen to write them off because religionists see their scripture literally, when an allegorical meaning is intended. Similar with science. Once science has definitively established something to be true, then we need to rethink the scripture. I've been to two talks given by the Dalai Lama now. Somehow I don't think we will need to be sending lengthy posts to each other to be on the same page.:)

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
The bible is officially historical biographies', however to consider any of the accusations you made, I must consider one example at a time. Please post you first verse, story, or teaching and what it is your accusing it of.

Accusation sounds hostile. I'm a friendly person. The Gospel of John was written to inspire the faithful. John 20:31
I think its going to be a hard sell presenting the Gospels as like history books. They have history in them, but they have an entirely different approach, style, and purpose.

The biblical God is always exclusive, but so is truth. We may want drone cameras, DNA, and court transcripts but the bible said God sent Jesus in the fullness of time. If you look at a population curve for the last 100,000 years or so it was almost linear and rose very gently until about 2000 years ago. God sent Christ the moment a common language was spoken over much of civilization, the population literally exploded into an exponential curve, writing materials were at least accessible for many, an empire existed which linked most areas with good roads for the first time in history. 40 plus extra biblical authors recorded the explosion of a faith based on a physical resurrection for it's leader. At least 5 independent authors made extremely consistent claims about Christ. The dozens of Gallic wars combined with decades of Peloponnesian wars do not have as much documentary evidence as Christ. Where are you getting your standards, for the time period we have an embarrassment of riches.

I think what you are saying is that because Christianity was so successful then the physical resurrection must have happened. Should we believe everything Muslims believe about Muhammad on the same basis?

For the Baha'i there must be an infinitude of meanings, because the only way your teachings can survive is everyone's scriptures are endlessly malleable.

Not at all. I've covered this in post#133.

This is not an explanation of Paul's conversion. He is not talking about himself, or Christ, he is not even talking about salvation.

Christ did not say they would not be given a miracle (and that was merely one group, at one place, at one time) he said they would only be given the greatest miracle God would ever perform. If you think a dead guys remaining dead is more convincing that a dead man eating, walking, and talking 3 days after he died I am at a loss for words.

Acts 9 is the best account of Pauls conversion. It was several years after the so called appearances over 40 days, and his encounter with Jesus certainly doesn't sound like an encounter with the a living man. Yet he refers to this experience as Jesus appearing to him and likens it to the other conversion experiences. I'm sure we've covered this.

I hear all the time that science and faith are at odds, but in my experience I use science more than anything else to argue for God. If there is anything in science that is a defeater for my faith I wish someone would post it.

The science to me is the overwhelming argument against a physical resurrection. Having accepted this the bible has become so much easier to understand.

We may just have to agree to disagree.:)

Unless you have any new evidence? Thank again for your considered thoughts Robin.

Repox

Truth Seeker
I had a dream about Paul walking on a dirt road. Suddenly, a bright holy cloud covered him. From the cloud the Lord's voice said, "Come up to heaven with me." Paul waved his hands in the air as he walked away saying, "First, I must evangelize the world."

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Time for some more writing @1robin. The Holy Quran? Muhammad was positive about the Jews and Christians and urged His followers to respect these people. Sure, they deviated but how did Christians go with following their Messiah?
I didn't say anything about whether Muhammad liked or disliked Jews and Christians. However, since you brought it up Muhammad slaughtered and enslaved an entire tribe of Jews called the Banu Qurayza. The Quran says that on one occasion Muhammad beheaded Jews until he was so physically exhausted he had to stop, he had all their bodies thrown into a trench.

Muhammad united a disparate group of Arab herdsmen. Like Moses He taught them not to worship Idols and to worship the One True God. Amazing the similarities between the two Gods really. His people needed education about some of the great men of God that had come before who were of course prophets and men of the OT Jewish history. In regards to the Surah about Christ's crucifixion, its just another way of saying they didn't kill His spirit. The Muslims take it literally of course as the Christians take the resurrection literally. No scissors and glue required. Just a case of removing the log from our eyes so we can see clearly scripture as our Lord has instructed.:)
Much of that is true. Muhammad came from one of many independent Arabic tribes, he envied the unification between Jews and Christians based on their common faith. He apparently set out to reproduce a similar faith but he mangled the job horrifically. I believe his uncle had learned of Christianity and Judaism from heretics that were expelled from Israel. So he combined heretical Abrahamic teachings, Arabian fables, known Gnostic texts like the infancy Gospel, and stuff he apparently just made up. That is why the Quran gets dates, names, places, mathematics, philosophy, and concepts so wrong.

That Surah does not contain the word spirit, you had to add that in to make your faith's claims work out. That is what I have said about the Baha'i over and over. They have to make contradictory things seem consistent. So they mangle everyone else's scriptures until they are unrecognizable, and then pronounce them all consistent. I do not understand why you would gamble your soul on such an effort. I have heard dozens of Muslim apologists comment on that surah in different ways, never in the way you did.

As a mathematician you like to play the numbers game so we have a religion with nearly 25% of the worlds population and the fastest growing religion in the world. If Pew research is true then the number of Muslims is set to exceed Christians by the end of this century.
I do have 2 degrees in math but I do not like doing it. However what your talking about isn't math, its a philosophical fallacy. I think it is called the popularity fallacy. If the number who believe determined what was true then Christianity would win, but to suggest that is simply irrational.

BTW The baby's of Muslim parents are counted as Muslim before they know enough about anything to have faith in anything, the birth rates in Muslim countries are far higher than in Christian nations, and in many nations leaving Islam is a capital offense. With that set up I would expect them to have surpassed us centuries ago. Christianity exploded despite persecution, Islam exploded by persecuting.

You are welcome to show me specific parts of the Quran you take exception to you. I didn't grow up a Muslim though. I grew up a Christian.
Well let's start at the beginning I guess. Are you familiar with the details of Muhammad's initial experience with "Gabriel" in the cave.

Once again we will need quotes. The problem with Buddhist and Hindu texts is that even their adherents are uncertain about their authenticity so probably not the most useful discussion for us. From a Baha'i perspective reincarnation is not to be literally understood. It sounds remarkably similar to the Christian concept of being born again. Yes, a symbolic interpretation again.o_O I'm getting predictable.
My coming back as a cow sounds nothing like being baptized into Christ. The Bible says:
Hebrews 9:27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment.
Hinduism has us dying and coming back over and over and over.

Why do you want scriptural quotes from sources you say are unreliable?

Baha'u'llah's 'spiritual resurrection' had the same affect on His believers.
No one can see a spiritual resurrection, that is why I didn't mention it. We can see a dead man come back to life, we can read prophecies and see if they came true, that is why I mentioned them.

I agree that Jesus fulfilled prophecies from the OT but it is not nearly as clear as you make out. 2,500 maybe a little overkill, don't you think? Baha'u'llah fulfilled many prophecies too but we'll leave that for another time.
Roughly 2500 hundred prophecies are made in the bible, they are not all about Christ, I did not claim they were.

You may have more Christians than Baha'is now but how many did you have after 170 years? That would be a better comparison, don't you agree?
Actually all arguments from popularity should be avoided.

If we are having a debate I will need to call 'foul' as you have omitted any mention of the wars and atrocities committed by Christians. Your reading of history is conveniently selective.:eek:
There is no debate about this. I already said that men (including Christians) have done more harm than good. There is not enough room in the forum to list the atrocities of Christians. That is why I do not see God in the general conduct of most men. I do not see God in the crusades, the inquisitions, the Christian conquistadors, nor in the Stalins, Hitlers, Pol Pots, Roman emperors, or Greek generals. The bible says Satan is the prince of this world, and that is what I see most of the time.

Not quite what I meant by my personal friends and associate from different cultures. My faith encourages me to love, forgive, and see the good in people. I know your faith does as well. As with all the wars, sometimes its hard to remember Jesus core message to really love people, even when it comes to your enemies.
My faith gives moral perfection as a goal but not a destination any mortal will ever reach in life.

Do you agree that world peace is prophesised in the OT for example Isaiah?
The bible does say that peace will reign at some future point. It will reign because of God and despite man.

The fallen world seems overly dark and pessimistic. However I agree evil exists like he absence of light. Communism is seen by Baha'is as one of the great evils of the 20th century. Had the Tsar Alexandra II heeded Baha'u'llah's admonitions in the 19th century communism would never have taken root.
If true that would only mean Baha'ism was better than communism, however the truth is that all forms of government fail. That is because they are all composed of fallen men.

That's right. Erected again....spiritually:rolleyes:
Are you saying Christ's spirit existed, died, and was erected again? How does God die? Didn't you say that the Surah above says that they didn't kill Christ's spirit?

What you believe appears to me so far off the realm of being possible, that it is essentially impossible. I can see how important it is for Christians including yourself to believe in a physical resurrection. I know I'm unlikely to change your mind as you are mine. However it needs to be appreciated that there is another way of looking at Christ's resurrection that is biblically based, and Christians should not fear being branded as heretics because they refuse to accept this. Too late for me though as I've gone off to the dark side with those Baha'is:cool:
How do you know what is possible or impossible concerning supernatural events or entities? The only impossibilities I can think of are things that are logically incoherent, like a square circle or a married bachelor.

There are many ways of considering anything. However there is only one best conclusion.

As previously stated I do not recognise bible scholars as having anymore, or any less authority than you and I. If we are truly concerned with science and evidence then we see that often long established models need to be challenged and sometimes thrown out. Einstein's theory of relativity surpassed Newtonian physics with its accompanying world that ran like clockwork. The Baha'i have a new theological worldview that sees the NT in a different light as Jesus cast new light on the OT.
So those with the most training, most experience, and access to the most evidence are equal to their opposites. I do not think any company in human history has hired on that basis.

I don't think a consensus of the popular vote would go in your favour if we included all the worlds population. The sample is biased in that you choose only people who think as you do, and then when they don't they are cast out as non believers and unfaithful.
I do not know if I or you introduced popularity but we should both cease from using it as an argument.

Talk to the Jewish scholars and believe me, they will have a mountain of scripture called the OT to counter anything you say.:)
Christians have the bulk of Judaism's scripture, I have debated some of their brightest, and I have found them the most capable (if not ultimately successful) group of non-Christians there are.

However I agree with the Christians that Jesus was the Jewish Messiah.

Isn't it nice to finish so positively:rolleyes:

More to follow
If you agree with me about the messiah, then what is it in Judaism you are calling my attention to?

I consider Baha'ism to be among the least justifiable theologies in history, but IMO the Baha'i's style of debating surpasses all other groups (including me and my group). I treat debates as a war between ideas and doubt that Christ would approve of many of my posts. Thank God I am saved by grace, instead of merit.

Last edited:

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
The bible says Satan is the prince of this world, and that is what I see most of the time.

This is right! Jesus said it, and Revelation 12:9 reveals the extent of his deception.....religion is a big part of it! Jesus foretold that Satan's control would even extend to "many" calling themselves Jesus' followers. --Matthew 7:21-23. Question to consider: how were these ones, 'expelling demons and performing powerful works', if they didn't have Jesus' approval?

It's simply more deception, by God's Archenemy. Even within churches!

Makes you think.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Magic pajamas, huh? I'll have to see if I can get myself some of those. Strangely enough, in 68 years as a Mormon, I've never heard of such a thing.
I was half joking but the concept is real enough. Type in Mormon's magic pajamas and you will get 27 million hits, maybe you do not believe in them, but how on Earth could you have never heard of them?
Temple garment - Wikipedia

If what Joseph Fielding Smith said in his book can be supported by something in any of our Standard Works, it is indeed relevant. If it cannot, then it's merely his opinion.
Even if it is merely his opinion and even if that opinion was wrong my claim would still be true and yours wrong. I said Mormons taught it (I only require one), you said none of them ever have (you need to show that an unknowable universal negative is a fact). How have you had 27,000 debates and not learned to avoid claims about universal negatives?

Yeah, based on my past experiences with you, I kind of suspected it would be, but I didn't have anything really important that was pressing on me, so I figured I might as well post a response for the benefit of others who may be following this thread.
I do not remember you, probably because you have no distinguishable avatar.

I claimed what? Would you be so kind as to provide an exact quote of my claim, since what you are claiming I claimed makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
Ok, but you typed it, why do I have to find it?

I said that Mormon's taught that men can become Gods.
You replied with:
Mormons do not claim that "we come back as God's"
For me to be right I needed to show that a Mormon taught that, I gave 3. For you to be right you need to both know and show that no Mormon in LDS history ever taught that men can become Gods. I met my burden, you can't meet your.

No kidding.
Agreed, lets move on.

Well, that's your opinion. You're entitled to it.
Per the above my opinion reflect established fact.

I'm really sorry, Robin, but you really need to work on being able to articulate what you're trying to get across. I honestly can't follow your line of thinking here. Consequently, I'm not even going to try to respond to these three points. I believe my initial response to you made enough sense so that anybody who really wanted to understand Mormon theology would be able to. If you are finding my explanations to be confusing, I'm afraid we'll just have to shelf this discussion and try again some other time.
I re-read my 3 statements several times, if I could make them clearer I do not see how.

I don't know what you mean when you say they are "goals not destinations." I would totally agree that perfection is a goal. I would also agree that all men fall short, and that anyone who claims to be without sin is lying.
Then we are in agreement.

You're right about that. You don't.

And not only do you not "get it," but you "don't get" the rules of English punctuation and capitalization either. You have no idea how it grates on my nerves to see you write "God's" instead of gods. There should be no capital letter and no apostrophe. "God's" is either a possessive, referring to something that belongs to God, or it is a contraction of "God is." Neither is correct in the context in which you are using the word.
I agree that I am a grammatical train wreck, I do not agree that I am unclear, or that I have misrepresented anything you have said.

I ignore nothing that Brigham Young has said that is in line with official Church doctrine. However, on those occasions in which he has said something that is not in line with official Church doctrine, yes, I do ignore it. I'm not sure exactly what quote I ignored, but if you'd like to be more specific, I'll comment on it.
Who is it that is the final authority on LDS doctrine? Who determined they were? What standards were used? My original claims were not about what you believe or about "official" doctrines. They were about what Mormons have taught. Were Brigham Young and Joseph Smith not Mormons? Did they not teach what I quoted?

Yes. The current Church leadership does. You and others on this forum also apparently give it your best shot, but you don't always get it right.
Why are the current leaders more qualified to speak for LDS than those I quoted? Does LDS doctrine defy entropy and get more accurate (organized) over time? If so we should wait to the end of time, then see what it teaches.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Accusation sounds hostile. I'm a friendly person. The Gospel of John was written to inspire the faithful. John 20:31
I think its going to be a hard sell presenting the Gospels as like history books. They have history in them, but they have an entirely different approach, style, and purpose.
Accusation does not necessarily imply hostility. The Bible is among the core resources used by secular archeologists. There is more textual evidence for Christ than any other figure in ancient history.

I think what you are saying is that because Christianity was so successful then the physical resurrection must have happened. Should we believe everything Muslims believe about Muhammad on the same basis?
It is quite hard to explain the explosion of a faith despite persecution, based on a dead guy coming back to life, unless a dead guy actually came came back to life.

Let me quote one of (if not the) greatest expert on evidence and testimony in human history.
SIMON GREENLEAF DIED October 6, 1853. Born on December 5, 1783, Greenleaf was an agnostic, some say atheist, who believed the resurrection of Jesus Christ was either a hoax or a myth. No stranger to truth, and to the proof of the truth, Greenleaf was a principal founder of the Harvard Law School and a world-renowned expert on evidence.

As one after another was put to a miserable death, the survivors only prosecuted their work with increased vigor and resolution. The annals of military warfare afford scarcely an example of the like, heroic constancy, patience and unclenching courage. They had every possible motive to review carefully the grounds of their faith, and the evidences of the great facts and truths which they asserted; and these motives were pressed upon their attention with the most melancholy and terrific frequency. It was therefore impossible that they could have persisted in affirming the truths they have narrated, had not Jesus actually rose from the dead, and had they not known this fact as certainly as they knew any other fact.
Is Simon Greenleaf Still Relevant? - CSI

BTW all faith claims do not all stand of fall together. They are not a monolithic group composed of identical parts. Each claim must stand on it's own merits. I have given an example of my claims merits, you need to identify what claim about Muhammad your referring to, then supply it's merits.

Not at all. I've covered this in post#133.
The vast majority of Christians would disagree with the Baha'i concerning the bible, and the vast majority of Muslim would disagree with the Baha'i concerning the Quran.

Acts 9 is the best account of Pauls conversion. It was several years after the so called appearances over 40 days, and his encounter with Jesus certainly doesn't sound like an encounter with the a living man. Yet he refers to this experience as Jesus appearing to him and likens it to the other conversion experiences. I'm sure we've covered this.
You didn't quote Acts 9, you quoted 2 Corinthians 12. As for Acts 9 Paul had a conversation with either a dead guy or a living guy. The same guy you mention went on to say this:

1 Corinthians 15:35-58New Living Translation (NLT)
The Resurrection Body

35 But someone may ask, “How will the dead be raised? What kind of bodies will they have?” 36 What a foolish question! When you put a seed into the ground, it doesn’t grow into a plant unless it dies first. 37 And what you put in the ground is not the plant that will grow, but only a bare seed of wheat or whatever you are planting. 38 Then God gives it the new body he wants it to have. A different plant grows from each kind of seed. 39 Similarly there are different kinds of flesh—one kind for humans, another for animals, another for birds, and another for fish. 40 There are also bodies in the heavens and bodies on the earth.

The science to me is the overwhelming argument against a physical resurrection. Having accepted this the bible has become so much easier to understand.
If the God you believe in is bound by natural law you need to trade up. Supernatural issues are not governed by natural law, they transcend nature, they supersede nature, that why they are called "super" natural.

We may just have to agree to disagree.:)
About what? Do you actually believe in a God that is derivative and that science is primary?

Unless you have any new evidence? Thank again for your considered thoughts Robin.
No matter how many times anyone asks what 2 + 2 = the answer will remain the same. I have more evidence and arguments that I could ever hope to put in writing, but if you ask the same questions I can only give the same answers.

I do not know if your saying that you are done or not, but it was nice talking with you.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
This is right! Jesus said it, and Revelation 12:9 reveals the extent of his deception.....religion is a big part of it! Jesus foretold that Satan's control would even extend to "many" calling themselves Jesus' followers. --Matthew 7:21-23. Question to consider: how were these ones, 'expelling demons and performing powerful works', if they didn't have Jesus' approval?

It's simply more deception, by God's Archenemy. Even within churches!

Makes you think.
Hello HC.

Those are some of the verses I as of yet have never found an explanation of which were completely satisfactory. There are many stories and teachings in the bible I need to invest much more time in than I yet have. I went and read about a dozen commentaries on Mathew 7, I found most of them conflicting and / or confusing. The one that best fits into my overall understanding of the Bible stated:

Not every one that saith ... - The Savior goes on to say that many, on the ground of a mere profession such as he had just referred to, would claim admittance into his kingdom. Many would plead that they had done miracles, and preached or prophesied much, and on the ground of that would demand an entrance into heaven. The power of working miracles had no necessary connection with piety. God may as well, if he chooses, give the power of raising the dead to a wicked man, as the skill of healing to a wicked physician. A miracle is a display "of his own power" through the medium of another. An act of healing the sick is also a display of "his power" through the agency of another. In neither of these cases is there any necessary connection with moral character. So of preaching or prophesying. God may use the agency of a man of talents, though not pious, to carry forward His purposes. Saving power on the mind is the work of God, and he may convey it by any agency which he chooses. Accordingly, many may be found in the day of judgment who may have been endowed with powers of prophecy or miracle, as Balaam or the magicians of Egypt; in the same way as many people of distinguished talents may be found, yet destitute of piety, and who will be shut out of his kingdom.
Matthew 7 Barnes' Notes

Here is a site with a consistent but more detailed commentary on those verses.
Not Everyone Who Says "Lord, Lord" Will Enter the Kingdom - Matthew 7:21-23

However I have not spent enough time on those verses specifically to make any firm recommendations. I am a 100% grace and grace alone believer so I see everything through that lens. What do you think those verses mean?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I was half joking but the concept is real enough. Type in Mormon's magic pajamas and you will get 27 million hits, maybe you do not believe in them, but how on Earth could you have never heard of them?
Temple garment - Wikipedia
I have heard of magic Mormon pajamas, but never from an LDS source, as such an item does not exists, except in the small minds of people who find it entertaining to mock the religious beliefs of others. Throughout history, people of various religions have worn sacred clothing that is both special and meaningful to them alone. Often times, this clothing may be visible to others, because it is worn on top of other clothing. Examples of such sacred clothing are beads, shawls, and special head-coverings. In other situations, this special clothing may be worn under one's outer clothing, next to the skin. The Jewish tallit katan, for example, is a white garment worn under the clothing in remembrance of the Lord's commandments (see Exodus 19:6, Numbers 15:38 and Deuteronomy 22:12). It is similar in purpose to the LDS temple garment. I suspect that you wouldn't ridicule it as you do the LDS temple garment, but that's only because it's not cool to be anti-Semitic these days, while it is perfectly permissible to be anti-Mormon.

Adult members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints are encouraged to live in such a manner that they may be worthy of the privilege of attending one of the Church's more than 149 operating temples worldwide, and participating in sacred ordinances (i.e. religious ceremonies) there. Among these ordinances are a symbolic washing and anointing and an endowment ceremony which involves both instruction and the making of sacred covenants, or promises, with God. Once an individual has received these ordinances, he is to wear a special undergarment throughout his life. The purpose of this garment is to serve as a constant reminder of the covenants made in the temple, a little bit like a wedding ring is a reminder of the promises made to one's spouse as part of his wedding vows.

People outside our faith often refer to the temple garment as "magic Mormon underwear," or "magic Mormon pajamas" but you would never hear a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints do so. The garment is sacred to us. It is not magic in any sense of the word. While we are told that the garment will be 'a shield and a protection" to us, this protection is understood as being of a spiritual nature. When we are wearing the garment, we are conscious of the promises we made to God and are less likely to be tempted to break them. As a result of our obedience, we believe that God will bless us.

Even if it is merely his opinion and even if that opinion was wrong my claim would still be true and yours wrong. I said Mormons taught it (I only require one), you said none of them ever have (you need to show that an unknowable universal negative is a fact). How have you had 27,000 debates and not learned to avoid claims about universal negatives?
I'm sorry, I really don't know what you're trying to get at. You stated that you thought that the tenth president of the LDS church was relevant. I answered that any of his remarks that could be substantiated by the LDS "Standard Works," they were relevant, but that if they couldn't be, they were merely his opinion. I don't know how you managed to turn that answer into an accusation regarding "claims about universal negatives."

I do not remember you, probably because you have no distinguishable avatar.
Okay, well, it doesn't matter whether you remember me or not. I remember you, and it has nothing to do with your avatar (which is kind of cute, actually).

Ok, but you typed it, why do I have to find it?
You don't. I don't know which quote you're referring to, and if you don't want to help me out, we can simply forget I ever said what I supposedly said.

I said that Mormon's taught that men can become Gods.
You replied with: For me to be right I needed to show that a Mormon taught that, I gave 3. For you to be right you need to both know and show that no Mormon in LDS history ever taught that men can become Gods. I met my burden, you can't meet your.
Oh, but I did meet mine. I posted quite a lengthy post on our beliefs in this regard, and we most certainly do believe that we can, through the grace of God, attain godhood. I have never denied that. I was merely objecting to your comparison between Hindus (who believe we're reincarnated into new life forms) and Mormons (who believe we can progress to a point where we eventually have the same divine attributes as our God has). We don't believe in continual reincarnation, but in the growth and development of our unique spirits. I also quoted numerous early Christians -- not heretics or anything of the sort, but respected Church fathers -- who taught essentially the same thing as Mormons teach today. And finally, I quoted C.S. Lewis, whom you seem to have a certain amount of respect for. I'll repeat what he said, because I'm interested to know if you find his comments as offensive and disturbing as you find those of the LDS leaders you've quoted:

“The command Be ye perfect is not idealistic gas. Nor is it a command to do the impossible. He is going to make us into creatures that can obey that command. He said (in the Bible) that we were 'gods' and He is going to make good His words. If we let Him – for we can prevent Him, if we choose – He will make the feeblest and filthiest of us into a god or goddess, dazzling, radiant, immortal creature, pulsating all through with such energy and joy and wisdom and love as we cannot now imagine, a bright stainless mirror which reflects back to God perfectly (though, of course, on a smaller scale) His own boundless power and delight and goodness. The process will be long and in parts very painful; but that is what we are in for. Nothing less. He meant what He said."

Who is it that is the final authority on LDS doctrine? Who determined they were? What standards were used? My original claims were not about what you believe or about "official" doctrines. They were about what Mormons have taught. Were Brigham Young and Joseph Smith not Mormons? Did they not teach what I quoted?

Why are the current leaders more qualified to speak for LDS than those I quoted? Does LDS doctrine defy entropy and get more accurate (organized) over time? If so we should wait to the end of time, then see what it teaches.
The final authority on LDS doctrine can be found in the LDS "Standard Works," which are the Bible, the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine and Covenants, and the Pearl of Great Price. New revelation can be added to the Doctrine and Covenants from time to time, but this rarely happens. In order for any teaching or concept to become officially binding on the members of the Church and to become part of the LDS canon of scripture, there is a very specific process which must take place. God would have to reveal His word to the President of the Church (aka the Prophet). No one else would receive the information first, and it would probably not be given out of the blue, but in response to a prayer offered by the Prophet for guidance and direction. Once the Prophet believed God had spoken to him, he would present the revealed information to his two counselors and to the men who were members of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. Together, these fifteen men would fast and pray, and only when the Holy Ghost had witnessed to all fourteen of them that what the Prophet had said was truly from God, would the revelation become official doctrine, and would be added to the Doctrine and Covenants. We do not believe that any of these individual -- not even the Prophet -- in infallible. Any of them can have opinions or interpretations of the scriptures that come from their own powers of reasoning and not from God. That's why it takes a consensus in order for doctrine to be established.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
The Bible is among the core resources used by secular archeologists. There is more textual evidence for Christ than any other figure in ancient history.
Hmmmm...... No.
There is evidence for Yeshua the handworker, and there is evidence for the rise of Christianity but tghere is no clear evidence that Yeshua was a Meshiah.
This Thread is surely about Yeshua the Handworker, historically.
Christ has to be all about Faith, and Belief. That's why most Christians refer to their Faith rather than their certitude, surely?

So, yes, I would accuse you of being wrong about the above.

Repox

Truth Seeker
I had a dream about Paul in a village meeting. I was walking on a dirt street in an ancient village of stone and brick houses. After walking for a couple of blocks, I turned a corner and walked into a village square where people had gathered. I walked into a small building next to the square where there were about a dozen men sitting on benches. Paul, wearing a robe, held a bouquet of palm branches and flowers. As he walked round the room, he leaned over chatting with the men. Some of the men came over and gave him palm branches for his bouquet. There was something strange about Paul; he had a shiny baldhead with pieces of transplanted hair. When I awoke, I thought about his shiny baldhead with those hair transplants. It occurred to me they were symbols of his false epistles. From other dreams, I've learned that Jesus was God, not the son of God.

Last edited:

Indian

What facts about Jesus do we have, from a scientific point of view?
I think 3 authors mention him: Flavius Josephus, Tacitus and the 3rd I forgot.
What did Jesus really say and what is only attributed to him?
This is just like asking to provide proof of your great grandfather's great grand father existed ? I think you believe on this on the word of mouth correct? Although the question on if you are reading or following what Jesus really told can be debatable!!!! I am not defending or going against about something but purely logical...In hindusim we say this as sabda pramana..

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
This is just like asking to provide proof of your great grandfather's great grand father existed ? I think you believe on this on the word of mouth correct? Although the question on if you are reading or following what Jesus really told can be debatable!!!! I am not defending or going against about something but purely logical...In hindusim we say this as sabda pramana..
Your post led me to the Wikipedia entry on Pramana. Thank you.

whirlingmerc

What facts about Jesus do we have, from a scientific point of view?
I think 3 authors mention him: Flavius Josephus, Tacitus and the 3rd I forgot.
What did Jesus really say and what is only attributed to him?

There is a minimal facts approach that Gary Habermas uses
Jesus was crucified
The grace was empty
The disciples were convinced Jesus rose
Most historians grant those
see --> The Late Twentieth-Century Resurgence of Naturalistic Responses to Jesus' Resurrection

but there are more
The Romans made grave robbery a capital crime shortly after
The Jewish writings accused Jesus of being a magician and 'a gardener named Judas moved the body' suggesting a need to spin the story

and there are yet more than that and in the end the dospel writers remain a significant source for historians
Historically the apostles went to their deaths holding to the resurrection lordship messiah claim
even Richard Nixon's staff couldn't hold onto a story for like 30 days in the watergate affair in contrast

1robin

Christian/Baptist
I have heard of magic Mormon pajamas, but never from an LDS source, as such an item does not exists, except in the small minds of people who find it entertaining to mock the religious beliefs of others. Throughout history, people of various religions have worn sacred clothing that is both special and meaningful to them alone. Often times, this clothing may be visible to others, because it is worn on top of other clothing. Examples of such sacred clothing are beads, shawls, and special head-coverings. In other situations, this special clothing may be worn under one's outer clothing, next to the skin. The Jewish tallit katan, for example, is a white garment worn under the clothing in remembrance of the Lord's commandments (see Exodus 19:6, Numbers 15:38 and Deuteronomy 22:12). It is similar in purpose to the LDS temple garment. I suspect that you wouldn't ridicule it as you do the LDS temple garment, but that's only because it's not cool to be anti-Semitic these days, while it is perfectly permissible to be anti-Mormon.
I have to number my responses to make sure I hit everything and do so in a distinct response.

1. I said it was a joke. However several documentaries (with evidence, eyewitnesses, and historical sources) I have seen suggest that they still practice and teach about the temple garments but only at the higher levels of the church hierarchy.

2. Since you do not believe in them, then I will just drop the issue. I do not want to be judged by what others consider Christian doctrine, so I will try and return the favor. I will defend the bible and mainstream Christianity, will you do so with Mormonism and the book of Mormon?

3. There is no biblical parallel to what I was referring to. Of course it is cool to be anti-Semitic in the modern era. That is why their neighbors attack them and lose about once a decade, why our former excuse for a president shunned them openly, and why the Nazis tried to wipe them out all together. I however do not judge any group based on genetics. I simply judge issues. I do renounce the garment and entire the entire faith of Judaism because Christ did. God (not me) said Judaism was imperfect and warned all those who came to Christ from sliding back into it.

Since I was kidding and this was off topic I am willing to drop this subject here if you agree.

I will probably be forced to ask over and over but until I get a good answer I can't get to much of what you say. What or who is it that speaks for Mormonism? In my case it is the scriptures, my personal experiences with God, history, philosophy, and reason.

Adult members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints are encouraged to live in such a manner that they may be worthy of the privilege of attending one of the Church's more than 149 operating temples worldwide, and participating in sacred ordinances (i.e. religious ceremonies) there. Among these ordinances are a symbolic washing and anointing and an endowment ceremony which involves both instruction and the making of sacred covenants, or promises, with God. Once an individual has received these ordinances, he is to wear a special undergarment throughout his life. The purpose of this garment is to serve as a constant reminder of the covenants made in the temple, a little bit like a wedding ring is a reminder of the promises made to one's spouse as part of his wedding vows.

People outside our faith often refer to the temple garment as "magic Mormon underwear," or "magic Mormon pajamas" but you would never hear a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints do so. The garment is sacred to us. It is not magic in any sense of the word. While we are told that the garment will be 'a shield and a protection" to us, this protection is understood as being of a spiritual nature. When we are wearing the garment, we are conscious of the promises we made to God and are less likely to be tempted to break them. As a result of our obedience, we believe that God will bless us.
I can and will get to the bottom of any issue I raised but I can only do one or two at a time. I think my claim about becoming God's is by far the most important. That is the one I wanted to get to the bottom of. Do you wish to concentrate on the becoming God's, temple garments, the original Joseph Smith, the book of Mormon, or who is the primary authority on Mormon doctrine? We can do justice to all of them at once. Please select one or two of them.

I'm sorry, I really don't know what you're trying to get at. You stated that you thought that the tenth president of the LDS church was relevant. I answered that any of his remarks that could be substantiated by the LDS "Standard Works," they were relevant, but that if they couldn't be, they were merely his opinion. I don't know how you managed to turn that answer into an accusation regarding "claims about universal negatives."
I do not get this. This is the most simplistic thing we have discussed, your obviously intelligent, and I have went out of my way to post your own quotes.

1. I said Mormons have taught that men can become Gods. All I had to do to show my claim was true was quote a single Mormon. I quoted at least three so far. I fulfilled my burden and then some.

2. You said (and I have quoted you) that Mormons have not taught that men can become Gods. First, even if that was true you wouldn't know it. Second, if we pretend it is true, and that you can know it, you still couldn't show it. Third, even if we pretend it is true, we pretend you could know it, and we pretend you could show it, you still haven't. You have not done anything what so ever to meet your burden.

I am pretty sure you just made a sloppy claim, we all do from time to time, my goal was simply to get you to admit it so we can move on. You won't, so we can't. If you can't admit to a minor semantic mistake why should I believe you would follow the evidence about less obvious mistakes?

Okay, well, it doesn't matter whether you remember me or not. I remember you, and it has nothing to do with your avatar (which is kind of cute, actually).
No it doesn't, and I can't account for the "cuteness" of my avatar. I do not even remember where I found it.

You don't. I don't know which quote you're referring to, and if you don't want to help me out, we can simply forget I ever said what I supposedly said.
Ok, I will quote it one last time. I said Mormons taught that mortal men can become God's, you responded with:
Mormons do not claim that "we come back as God's
I have shown the claim I made was true, you can not show that your own claim (twice quoted) is true.

Oh, but I did meet mine. I posted quite a lengthy post on our beliefs in this regard, and we most certainly do believe that we can, through the grace of God, attain godhood. I have never denied that. I was merely objecting to your comparison between Hindus (who believe we're reincarnated into new life forms) and Mormons (who believe we can progress to a point where we eventually have the same divine attributes as our God has). We don't believe in continual reincarnation, but in the growth and development of our unique spirits. I also quoted numerous early Christians -- not heretics or anything of the sort, but respected Church fathers -- who taught essentially the same thing as Mormons teach today. And finally, I quoted C.S. Lewis, whom you seem to have a certain amount of respect for. I'll repeat what he said, because I'm interested to know if you find his comments as offensive and disturbing as you find those of the LDS leaders you've quoted:

1. No, you have met the burden for the claim men becoming God's is not officially Mormon doctrine. However that was not your original claim. Your original claim is what I quoted and bolded above. You need only admit you made a sloppy claim so we can concentrate on your additional claims.
2. Now I am really confused. After I addressed the first sentence above, the rest of it was confusing.
3. Now you seem to be saying that Mormons don't believe we can become Gods but we can attain Godhood? What distinction between the two would make any difference in this context?
4. According to LDS.org Godhood means: Man, Men—Man, potential to become like Heavenly Father
5. That emphatically suggests that mortal men can have the same attributes as God which is logically incoherent. Is that really what you want to defend?
6. I said Hindus have taught X, they have. I said that Mormons have taught Y, they have, and I quoted them. What is it your objecting to?

Your bringing up too many issues to cover any of them sufficiently. This forum will not even let me add even a cursory response to your claims in a single post. I am going to have to cut out much of what you said to leave enough charcters available for my reply.Lets start with a link to exactly what C.S. Lewis said, and exactly what your claiming he meant. However in Christian doctrines every Christian claim is required to submit to absolute judgment to the bible. The Christian doctrine of infallibility (as stated in the Chicago statement of faith) only applies to the original revelation. Scholars as cherished as Lewis, Luther, OT prophets, and even the apostles were fault ridden men. Regardless I will still consider whatever it is about Lewis your referring to.

This is impossible to fit in a single response, continued below.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
“The command Be ye perfect is not idealistic gas. Nor is it a command to do the impossible. He is going to make us into creatures that can obey that command. He said (in the Bible) that we were 'gods' and He is going to make good His words. If we let Him – for we can prevent Him, if we choose – He will make the feeblest and filthiest of us into a god or goddess, dazzling, radiant, immortal creature, pulsating all through with such energy and joy and wisdom and love as we cannot now imagine, a bright stainless mirror which reflects back to God perfectly (though, of course, on a smaller scale) His own boundless power and delight and goodness. The process will be long and in parts very painful; but that is what we are in for. Nothing less. He meant what He said."
An ideal gas is a concept concerning chemistry, it took me a minute to figure out what you meant.

There was nothing in what you responded to where I stated anything about the verses concerning "be ye perfect", so I have no context to consider what you colored red. I will instead quote something from the bible that might be relevant.

New International Version
for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God

The bible does not go on from that point and state, "Just kidding, at least some of you Mormon's will rise to the Glory of God.

The final authority on LDS doctrine can be found in the LDS "Standard Works," which are the Bible, the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine and Covenants, and the Pearl of Great Price. New revelation can be added to the Doctrine and Covenants from time to time, but this rarely happens. In order for any teaching or concept to become officially binding on the members of the Church and to become part of the LDS canon of scripture, there is a very specific process which must take place. God would have to reveal His word to the President of the Church (aka the Prophet). No one else would receive the information first, and it would probably not be given out of the blue, but in response to a prayer offered by the Prophet for guidance and direction. Once the Prophet believed God had spoken to him, he would present the revealed information to his two counselors and to the men who were members of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. Together, these fifteen men would fast and pray, and only when the Holy Ghost had witnessed to all fourteen of them that what the Prophet had said was truly from God, would the revelation become official doctrine, and would be added to the Doctrine and Covenants. We do not believe that any of these individual -- not even the Prophet -- in infallible. Any of them can have opinions or interpretations of the scriptures that come from their own powers of reasoning and not from God. That's why it takes a consensus in order for doctrine to be
That seems almost arbitrary. I quoted an LDS president and one of it's founders, I do not know why your rejecting them, but why would I have to adopt that strange standard you laid out? The term of a single person's natural life is not sufficient to apply that standard to even core LDS doctrines.

That criteria is so complex, arbitrary, and lengthy it would take me hours to see if any Mormon quote I used met all that stuff. Which God sounds more benevolent and reasonable.

1. One that would require me to subject every claim made by any Mormon and every sentence found in 4 entire books, every rare but new "addition" to one of those texts, every claim made by LDS presidents (you no sooner introduced LDS presidents than you excluded their teachings, appears it merely implies only ones Katzpur agrees with), check every thought any other person has had to make sure no one thought of it previously (which I think is also logically incoherent), I do not even know what "probably not out of the blue" would actually entail, etc...... it would take libraries worth of resources and several doctorates degrees worth of time to apply that standard to everything requiring it?

Or,

2. One that would give pure revelation and then preserve it in one text to almost perfection?

You nor I have enough time to subject even a handful of doctrines to all of the standards you gave, where are all the things that have supposedly passed all that scrutiny? Does it bind the original Joseph Smith and his golden tablets? Does it bind who make up the 12 "official"? What about the 2 councilors? If any or all can be faulty, who determines that?

Our discussion must shrink in size, I will be courteous and allow you to chose what to cut and what to keep. However if you can't I will have to. I like to go much deeper about a few issues, instead of posting so many topics none can be discussed sufficiently. You may have to call in sick to reply to all of this.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Hmmmm...... No.
No...... what? I emphatically deny that anything I said (which you quoted) is related to anything in your entire response below.
There is evidence for Yeshua the handworker, and there is evidence for the rise of Christianity but tghere is no clear evidence that Yeshua was a Meshiah.
The word Messiah does not appear in anything of mine you quoted, and the word "Meshiah" hopefully never has nor ever will appear in anything I say or type. It's not a word.

This Thread is surely about Yeshua the Handworker, historically.
It appears your responding to a post I made to another person and in another context and you do not even hint at which post or which part of it your replying to. I have no idea what context to put your responses into so that I may assess them. Certainly you do understand that the shared common ground varies between those we debate with. What I can assume in a debate with a fellow Christian, a different type of theist, a deist, an agnostic, or an atheist would all differ.

Please quote each statement of mine your replying to. Nothing you typed here applies to anything of mine you quoted.

Christ has to be all about Faith, and Belief. That's why most Christians refer to their Faith rather than their certitude, surely?
Certitude is impossible for all but the tiniest handful of brute facts like that "we think, therefor we must exist", or that abstract concepts like numbers exist, etc..... However among the (99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 %) of things that we lack certainty for are experiential claims. IOW we have every warrant (lacking a defeater) to trust our sensory experience coupled with good evidence. My faith is evidence based but (like almost everything else) is faith none the less. The same way I have faith that the universe did not come to exist 5 minutes ago with the appearance of age or that there is a reality external to myself.

Regardless, let me quote what you responded to from me.
The Bible is among the core resources used by secular archeologists. There is more textual evidence for Christ than any other figure in ancient history

So, yes, I would accuse you of being wrong about the above.
Since nothing above my quote countered anything in my quoted statement, I do not know which position of mine you saying was wrong, much less why. Why don't you back up and take another run at it, or would you instead like me to make a claim on foundations which we both share (I assume you believe in history and the inference to the best conclusion)?

Last edited:

1robin

Christian/Baptist
No it doesn't.
You are probably correct. I was in a hurry. It is illustrated in the Tarikh, referenced by Muhammad's earliest biographers, probably recorded in the hadith, referenced by Islam's greatest scholars, and possibly alluded to in the Quran. However I did not expect to have to go deeper with the person I made that claim to. Apparently you want to defend Muhammad, which is fine with me, so let me make take the time to clarify what it is I claim. I claim Muhammad (unlike Christ), was an immoral bloodthirsty tyrant. For that to be true it only matters whether he or those acting on his orders committed gross acts of immorality or not. For example it does not matter whether it was in Mecca or Medina, which hand he had his sword hand in, or whether it was 1 or 100,000 he killed without justification. Only that it occurred.

The Banu Qurayza, a Jewish tribe, were besieged for 25 days until they surrendered.[1] According to Mohammed al-Ghazali, during that time the Muslims allowed the Jews who had refused to betray the Prophet during the Battle of the Ditch to leave and "go wherever they wished".[18] Sa'd ibn Mu'adh, a companion of Muhammad, was chosen by him as an arbiter and all parties agreed to abide by his judgment. Sa'd gave his verdict that "the men should be killed, the property divided, and the women and children taken as captives". Muhammad approved of the ruling, calling it similar to God's judgment,[14][15][16][19][20] after which nearly all male members of the tribe who had reached puberty were beheaded[21][2][22] The Muslim jurist Tabari quotes 600–900 being executed.[23][3] The Sunni hadith do not give the number killed, but state that all post-pubescent males were killed and one woman.[24]

According to Ibn Kathir, Quranic verses 33:26-27 and 33:9-10 are about the attack against the Banu Qurayza.[2][25][26]
Invasion of Banu Qurayza - Wikipedia

From what looked like an Islamic site:
most materials used by Tabari are Reliable” (English Version of Tabari, Volume 6, Page xvii).
Hadith, History, and Information

Ishaq:463/Tabari VIII:34 "When Sa'd reached the Messenger of Allah and the Muslims, the Prophet said, 'Arise and go to your master and help him dismount.' Then Muhammad said, 'Pass judgment on them.' Sa'd replied, 'I pass judgment that their men shall be killed, their women and children made captives, and their property divided.' Allah's Apostle proclaimed, 'You have passed judgment on the Jews with the judgment of Allah and the judgment of His Messenger.'"

Bukhari:V5B59N448 "They then surrendered to the Prophet's judgment but he directed them to Sa'd to give the verdict. Sad said, 'I give my judgment that their men should be killed, their women and children should be taken as captives, and their properties distributed.'"
BANU QURAYZA MASSACRE

If you want to have a detailed debate about the character of Muhammad why are we starting in the middle? We need to go back to his cave experience and work forward from there. Agreed?