• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Historical Jesus

Shrew

What facts about Jesus do we have, from a scientific point of view?
I think 3 authors mention him: Flavius Josephus, Tacitus and the 3rd I forgot.
What did Jesus really say and what is only attributed to him?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
facts? I would say none at all. History has a way of getting distorted. no? But it's all good. Lots of peoples' opinions include the word 'facts' in them.

VitoOFMCap

I don't know that "scientific" and "fact" are words that 100% apply, especially when it comes to ancient literature. Surely the historical-critical method is an objective, repeatable method to analyze and compare the authenticity of texts, authors, and the content, but even biblical scholars like John Dominic Crossian and Marcus Borg, who've dedicated their lives to understanding Jesus as an historical figure, admit that there's little to "scientifically" prove.

I did give an upvote though! Especially at Christmas, people tend to conflate the various narratives of Jesus (e.g., the three magi visiting Jesus in a manger). =)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I wish I can find out but every rescource online is bias. I would assume so just as the jews are still rolling around just as he romans. His religious attributions people give him doesnt exnay the possible fact he exists. What would happen if he did?

Belief in jesus is beyond whether he exists. When I practiced, that wasnt important. However, many christians want to proove authenticity by hard facts when religion just isnt like that.

Thats something Pagans accept and know. Why not non christians.

Why not christians!

One day. One day.

Kuzcotopia

If you can read this, you are as lucky as I am.
Belief in jesus is beyond whether he exists. When I practiced, that wasnt important. However, many christians want to proove authenticity by hard facts when religion just isnt like that.

Not a Christian anymore, but when I was, the primary doctrine of my faith really did revolve around Jesus rising bodily from the dead. If you don't believe that happened literally, it seems a challenge to consider yourself a Christian.

As the evidence is pretty nonexistent, and the gospel claims are contradictory, I stopped believing in this core doctrine a long time ago.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
He did not live in an age of mass media, so we only know what has been handed down to us and experts try to determine what historically happened and what was likely to have been said (and they have disagreements).

I think we can be safe with the values of 'brotherly love' and unselfishness and other timeless spiritual qualities.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
facts? I would say none at all. History has a way of getting distorted. no? But it's all good. Lots of peoples' opinions include the word 'facts' in them.

So I take it Hindu scriptures just as old have an authenticity about them that the gospels do not???

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The thing about Tacitus, he records an execution, he records early Christians, but no resurrection. We know people are killed if they are too loud about preaching peace, we know the Bible records Jesus' being more-or-less a shaman in his teachings and behaviors and practices, we also know dead people do not rise from the dead. Josephus is highly questioned as a source, as he was a Jew, and his works never appeared as a pro-Christian "external source" until much, much later, leading many to speculate his words were adulterated.

Why not christians!
To many of them, their faith and religion depend entirely upon the Bible being an accurate and literal historical account of the world.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
So I take it Hindu scriptures just as old have an authenticity about them that the gospels do not???
Nope. With history of all kinds, personally, I treat it all with equal skepticism. The general rule for me, is that skepticism increases as time elapsed increases. Just like my own memory, yesterday is clearer than 3 months back, is clearer than 30 years back.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member

No answers for you.
It might help if I cared, but I'm not even sure about that.

roger1440

I do stuff
The amount of authors that have mentioned Jesus probably would be in the hundreds of thousands. Oh, and not a single one of them is an eyewitness.

Shrew

Why not christians!

To many of them, their faith and religion depend entirely upon the Bible being an accurate and literal historical account of the world.
I'm not a Christian but Jesus interests me.
General I would say that historical accuracy is much more important in Judaism/Christianity/Islam than in Taoism/Hinduis/Buddhism.
About Taoism I don't know how they see time, but in Hinduism & Buddhism there are 4 Yugas of different length.
It starts with the Satya or Krita Yuga, then comes Dvapara Yuga, then Treta Yuga and then Kali Yuga.
Satya Yuga is best, Kali Yuga is worst.
Rama lived in Dvapara Yuga and many Hindus believe he is a historical figure.
But even if tomorrow someone should proof that this is not so - it can never be proofed that Rama did not live in another Dvapara Yuga.
For the cycle of Yugas starts always anew.
Therfore the question if Rama is an historical person is not near as important for Hindus as the question if Jesus or Mohammed are historical persons.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
He did not live in an age of mass media, so we only know what has been handed down to us and experts try to determine what historically happened and what was likely to have been said (and they have disagreements).
He does now though.
I can understand why primitive folks who didn't even have the concept of mass media would invent a God similarly limited. Nobody could share important information further than the sound of a voice, written communication was laborious to make and not many could read. The ones who were literate rarely knew more than one language.
So, of course, limiting God to the same technology made sense to them. Now, God could post a YouTube to almost everybody at once with the most important information in it. Wouldn't take much to eliminate the huge amounts of dross in the religious teaching available.
Tom

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I'm not a Christian but Jesus interests me.
General I would say that historical accuracy is much more important in Judaism/Christianity/Islam than in Taoism/Hinduis/Buddhism.
About Taoism I don't know how they see time, but in Hinduism & Buddhism there are 4 Yugas of different length.
It starts with the Satya or Krita Yuga, then comes Dvapara Yuga, then Treta Yuga and then Kali Yuga.
Satya Yuga is best, Kali Yuga is worst.
Rama lived in Dvapara Yuga and many Hindus believe he is a historical figure.
But even if tomorrow someone should proof that this is not so - it can never be proofed that Rama did not live in another Dvapara Yuga.
For the cycle of Yugas starts always anew.
Therfore the question if Rama is an historical person is not near as important for Hindus as the question if Jesus or Mohammed are historical persons.
It's only important in the context of someone being a Christian/ if that/

I've read some historical stuff, but that is pretty non-religious, ie isn't going to inform you much of anything, besides geography etc

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
He does now though.
I can understand why primitive folks who didn't even have the concept of mass media would invent a God similarly limited. Nobody could share important information further than the sound of a voice, written communication was laborious to make and not many could read. The ones who were literate rarely knew more than one language.
So, of course, limiting God to the same technology made sense to them. Now, God could post a YouTube to almost everybody at once with the most important information in it. Wouldn't take much to eliminate the huge amounts of dross in the religious teaching available.
Tom
Well, a YouTube by a God claimant? I can just hear the scoffing now if it even reaches that level of attention. And the poster may even really be God but almost no one would ever hear about it. You can probably find a YouTube now by a God claimant.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member

This isn't accurate. Only some Christians would really 'care' about evidence in that sense.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
History is history. Now is now. What is of concern is how the history affects today's behaviour, if at all. Otherwise, its quite irrelevant.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Well, a YouTube by a God claimant? I can just hear the scoffing now if it even reaches that level of attention. And the poster may even really be God but almost no one would ever hear about it. You can probably find a YouTube now by a God claimant.
Not a God claimant.
A Youtube with some never before seen thing that cannot be known about or videoed.
Say, a spot in Mongolia where if you cut 20 meters down through rock you will find a complete fossil of a never before seen species. Something that can be ascertained.
And a voice over that tells everybody the most necessary information, the same voice over no matter what language is spoken by the viewer says the same thing.

Now that would be a really useful Miracle.
Tom