• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hinduism questions

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Do you think, if I become a follower of Hinduism, that they will accept me as Transgender?

BONUS QUESTION: Do people who want to be transgender, and the idea of "gender dysphoria", point toward evidence of past lives and reincarnation?

BONUS QUESTION 2: So just how strong was Jarasandha, and why were they so strong?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Do you think, if I become a follower of Hinduism, that they will accept me as Transgender?

BONUS QUESTION: Do people who want to be transgender, and the idea of "gender dysphoria", point toward evidence of past lives and reincarnation?

BONUS QUESTION 2: So just how strong was Jarasandha, and why were they so strong?

Yes, but some individuals might be hesitant. It would be a minor thing compared to what you actually believe about the nature of God, or how to worship, for example. We have a long history of a 'third gender' which encompasses all things except the two common hetero ideas.

It could point to past life stuff, I wouldn't know. Most certainly past lives have some affect on you. It's not a well understood subject by average Hindus. Most folks, for example, when asked about what that THINK a past life was about, will retain their current gender, whereas in reality it would be 47-47-6 chance, the 6% referring to the third gender.

Never heard of Jarasandha, will look it up.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Just to add ... in Hinduism, it's not so much about people as it is personal relationships with God. The temples are houses of God, not places where people congregate to see people. You can have 30 people in a temple, and nobody talks to one another, but all stare at the shrines of God/Goddesses, communing with divinity, individually. Very different paradigm, and methodology that Abrahamic faiths.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Just to add ... in Hinduism, it's not so much about people as it is personal relationships with God. The temples are houses of God, not places where people congregate to see people. You can have 30 people in a temple, and nobody talks to one another, but all stare at the shrines of God/Goddesses, communing with divinity, individually. Very different paradigm, and methodology that Abrahamic faiths.

Sounds good to me.

Marcion

gopa of humanity's controversial Taraka Brahma
Also very different from my path, which stresses sam gaccadvam (move together, take social action together).

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Just like people from all religions and the non-religious, some will and some won't. The trend in society in general is towards greater acceptance.
Yes, I do believe this is often a factor.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
You might find Hijra (South Asia) - Wikipedia helpful. And an internet search for hijra/hijara will bring many hits.

This is not from a Hindu source although it is a story about Hijra/Hijara people. And it influenced my view significantly:
Eruch Jessawala: The Hijara

This is a key part of the story to me. A "Perfect Master" is someone who has become One with divinity and is also fully conscious of creation at one and the same time.

In order to uphold this utterly rejected section of humanity, it was ordained that one from that tribe should become a Perfect Master. And so it was. One of this tribe became Perfect and so, naturally, all of his disciples were also of the tribe. This Perfect Master became the leader of the tribe.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
20191129_125108.jpg

amorphous_constellation

That's pretty interesting. So then, nobody there will probably find out that much about you, if you're transgender or what your marriage preference is or whatever. As a kid I always remembered the big church my mother dragged me to as having big social areas where you buy coffee and donuts, and constant chit-chat up and down the halls. People in christianity are probably often social, because part of the religion is to spread it and talk about it, it seems.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
That's pretty interesting. So then, nobody there will probably find out that much about you, if you're transgender or married or whatever. As a kid I always remembered the big church my mother dragged me to as having big social areas where you buy coffee and donuts, and constant chit-chat up and down the halls. People in christianity are probably often social, because part of the religion is to spread it and talk about it, it seems.
The temple here has a free lunch in the basement hall every Sunday, but most folks stick to who they know, or the language they speak. The more social people do come then more. But people like me go when it's practically empty. I'm selfish, liking god to myself. There is a 'silence' rule upstairs in the temple, with the exception of the priest doing his invoking of God's presence. There is also no sermon.

Still there are some temples that don't follow that rule, and people just sit and talk throughout the entire 'service'. Some also do have a talk by a pundit.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

I think there are those who have posted in this thread that have done well in response to your question.

I suppose my biggest concern is this: I know you're seeking and it would appear that a religion that is accepting of transgenders is important to you.

But I would hope that you don't take your own personal views/beliefs/ideologies and mold them to conform to those of a religion just because they are accepting of transgenders. Your core beliefs/worldview are by far more important than others' beliefs/views of transgenders regardless of their religious affiliation.

Don't get me wrong. Hinduism is awesome! But make sure that there are other Hindu views aside from transgender acceptance that align with your views rather than aligning your views to align with Hinduism just because they accept those who are transgender.

As far as your first bonus question, I think that "gender dysphoria" may indeed be a result of the unwillingness or inability to let go of an attachment to a gender lived in a previous life.

Last edited: