• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hinduism: Are all just one god?

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
My view may be a little off the beam to most Hindus, but it's like this:
  1. Brahman, all there is. Transcendant and immanent.
  2. Brahman manifests as the universe(s) and world, as Vishnu and Shiva, whom I believe are one and the same, though w/ different aspects; and as Shakti/Devi.
  3. The "male" principle is action, the "female" principle is energy (shakti). Without energy there is no action; without action energy is inert.
  4. The other gods and goddesses, and "demi-gods" are manifestations, expansions, avatars or "children", e.g. Ganesha, Murugan, Ayappa are sons of Shiva; Hanuman son of of Vayu; I even read somewhere that Lakshmi and Saraswati are "daughters" of Parvati. In my pov Durga and Kali are expansions of Parvati, for example.
Though I worship all the gods and goddesses in one way or another, or at one time or another, Vishnu is primus inter pares, first among equals.

Yes weird views, I know. Is this right or wronh? I don't know, but it's how I see and feel things.
Right or wrong? My dear brother (or sister) who can pass a judgement like that upon a fellow Hindu?
Just as the universe is diverse showing the endless possibilities of the divine/energy whatever, why would that be different within human interpretation? Diversity in interpretation is a celebration of Brahman.

(Ooh I went all wibbly wobbly philosophical for a second there lol)

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Right or wrong? My dear brother (or sister) who can pass a judgement like that upon a fellow Hindu?
Just as the universe is diverse showing the endless possibilities of the divine/energy whatever, why would that be different within human interpretation? Diversity in interpretation is a celebration of Brahman.

(Ooh I went all wibbly wobbly philosophical for a second there lol)

I'm a brother. ;)

Yep, that's what I meant. I was being rhetorical. :) There are as many beliefs and views as there are Hindus. No one can really say what is right or wrong because everyone sees God/dess in a way meaningful to them. Maybe it's God's leela. Such a sense of humor S/He has. :D

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm a brother. ;)

Yep, that's what I meant. I was being rhetorical. :) There are as many beliefs and views as there are Hindus. No one can really say what is right or wrong because everyone sees God/dess in a way meaningful to them. Maybe it's God's leela. Such a sense of humor S/He has. :D
:)
I have always contended that God/Universe has a fantastic sense of humor. I mean, have you seen the platypus!? :p

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
By and large, despite these differences in opinion most Hindus worship together, respect one another's beliefs and will even participate in rituals for deities they don't consider a part of their religion.

Yep, at my temple all the priests whether Vaishnava or Shaiva, unless otherwise engaged in a puja, chant the Sri Vishnu Sahasranama together at 6 pm. Vaishnava priests will assist Shaiva priests in a Shiva or Durga puja, etc., and vice versa.

Sw. Vandana Jyothi

Truth is One, many are the Names
Premium Member
There is no doubt when it comes to Hinduism, I am every bit of novice.

I do find Hindu religion to be confusing, especially of their gods or pantheon. So I would hope someone would explain to me.

As I understand it, or as I can I understand it, certain figure can be incarnation or avatar of a god. For example, Rama and Krishna are avatars of Vishnu. This seemed to be straightforward.

My problem is this:

From what I can gathered in this threads in this forum, is that there is only one god - Brahma, and that Vishnu and Shiva (and all the other gods, but let's just focus on these 3 names for now) are just different aspects of the one god. Is this right?

Or are they - Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva - 3 different gods?

Or is this depends on beliefs of the different sects?

I hoped that someone will clarify to me what's really going on, in the hope that I would understand Hinduism better.

Sometimes, when I'm explaining "the Hindu pantheon" in response to an inquiry, it seems to help if I use a multi-faceted diamond as an analogy. The many facets are the "gods and goddesses" with Names, forms, stories, praiseworthy virtues, etc., but when seen in toto, one sees only The Gem.

gnostic

The Lost One
I am sorry that I haven't responded at all after creating this topic. Unfortunately, I have been sick; I am still not feeling good. :(

I would like to thank all who have replied here. :)

When I was reading the Rig Veda, some years back (not long after joining RF), I did not understand much of it, and sadly never finish reading it; I always meant to get back and finish it one day.

Anyway, I came across Viswakrama, and from what I could gather, he was like Brahman, as a personification of creation, or personification of everything.

Are Viswakrama and Brahman one and the same?

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
Try to describe the container of the Cosmos !
I think that Brahma comes close enough !
~
'mud

atanu

Premium Member
Are Viswakrama and Brahman one and the same?

Visvakarman is brahmA, the creator. Brahman, OTOH, is not the creator, but Brahman is that wherefrom the acts of creation, maintenance, and destruction proceed.

Visvakarman is a doer and is bound. Brahman is not a doer but is that in whose presence actions take place. It is like sunlight which actively does nothing but which yet supports all life.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Visvakarman is brahmA, the creator.

Well whaddya know! I didn't know that. I've always seen him referred to as the "divine architect", but thought he is a separate deva. I don't know who the people (I suppose they are devas?) are surrounding him.

when_is_Vishwakarma-Jayanti_in_2015.jpg

atanu

Premium Member
Well whaddya know! I didn't know that. I've always seen him referred to as the "divine architect", but thought he is a separate deva. I don't know who the people (I suppose they are devas?) are surrounding him.

In microcosmic-individual level, we have Atman (Soul), Shushupti (sleeping causal body),Taijjassa (dreaming body), Vaisvanaro (waking body). In cosmic level, we have equivalents: Brahman, Ishwara (saguna brahman), Hiranyagarbha (world soul), and Virat (manifested universe).

Usually Hiranyagarbha is considered brahmA and in that category there are many names: Visvakarman, Tvastar, brahmA, Prajapati, Vachaspati, Brahmanspati .... In some texts, Visvakarman is described as son of brahmA and in some Visvakarman is the Supreme Brahman itself.

I go by the fourfold description, in line with AUM.

Last edited: