• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hinduism: Are all just one god?

gnostic

The Lost One
There is no doubt when it comes to Hinduism, I am every bit of novice.

I do find Hindu religion to be confusing, especially of their gods or pantheon. So I would hope someone would explain to me.

As I understand it, or as I can I understand it, certain figure can be incarnation or avatar of a god. For example, Rama and Krishna are avatars of Vishnu. This seemed to be straightforward.

My problem is this:

From what I can gathered in this threads in this forum, is that there is only one god - Brahma, and that Vishnu and Shiva (and all the other gods, but let's just focus on these 3 names for now) are just different aspects of the one god. Is this right?

Or are they - Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva - 3 different gods?

Or is this depends on beliefs of the different sects?

I hoped that someone will clarify to me what's really going on, in the hope that I would understand Hinduism better.

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
The first thing you need to know is that Hinduism is an umbrella term; there are in fact many religions in Hinduism. Generally, all of the Hindus on this forum believe in Brahman, (not Lord Brahma, the devata; demi-god) the substratum of all reality and beyond. There are those who believe in the trimurti, that Lord Brahma, Lord Vishnu and Lord Shiva are aspects of Brahman, and there are those (like me) who differ from this concept. I worship one Lord, Maha-Vishnu, and his avataras. There are many different sects, and we have many different scriptures; it's not just one like Islam has The Quran, to name an example.

Last edited:

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
There is no doubt when it comes to Hinduism, I am every bit of novice.

I do find Hindu religion to be confusing, especially of their gods or pantheon. So I would hope someone would explain to me.

As I understand it, or as I can I understand it, certain figure can be incarnation or avatar of a god. For example, Rama and Krishna are avatars of Vishnu. This seemed to be straightforward.

My problem is this:

From what I can gathered in this threads in this forum, is that there is only one god - Brahma, and that Vishnu and Shiva (and all the other gods, but let's just focus on these 3 names for now) are just different aspects of the one god. Is this right?

Or are they - Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva - 3 different gods?

Or is this depends on beliefs of the different sects?

I hoped that someone will clarify to me what's really going on, in the hope that I would understand Hinduism better.

Hinduism is confusing because it isn't structured like other major religions. Yes, there are rituals and rules that are observed almost universally, but Hinduism is really the umbrella term for a lot of different sects that, overtime shared and exchanged some of their ideas and philosophy until there was some similarity but still enough variety to confuse people from the outside looking in.

The answer to you question will depend on the sect of the person answering. By and large, despite these differences in opinion most Hindus worship together, respect one another's beliefs and will even participate in rituals for deities they don't consider a part of their religion. Why? Some do in fact believe that "God is One" while others simply recognize the principal of "Live and Let Live" and take it to heart.

For example, Brahma, Vishnu and Siva - for me at least -are not central to my worship. They are there, int he background as emanations of Shakti (The Goddess) . They are a reflection of her. Still, I bow to Lord Rama at my local temple, because I honor his importance to other devotees on their spiritual path, and also I see him as a reflection of the Goddess, so in essence I am still honoring the Mother in a different 'costume'.

On the other hand, individual deities have their own stories, mantras and rituals, and most people wouldn't interchange those. (Ex. Doing a Lakshmi Puja for Lord Shiva) That's because many Hindus (again not all) believe that different "versions" of God carry different energies, capabilities and purposes. As if God divided itself into many "departments" each on responsible for a different area.

There are many views. Hopefully other Hindus will chime in with their thoughts =)

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
WOW........I'm glad that you did that !
~
I've been hiding in the corner, hoping...
~
'mud

3d2e1f

The Mahabharata has an account where Arjuna and Krishna worship Shiva.

Govindam adi purusham is a hymn sung by Brahma in praise of the superiority of Vishnu.

Since Rama kills Ravana (one of the foremost Shiva Bhakts) in the Ramayana, Rama has to perform worship to Shiva.

In Hinduism, there is theology and then there is philosophy. I will focus on theology in this thread.

Operating definition: God: Any supernatural entity that is capable of interacting with humans/nature. The supernaturality arises because these entities tend to have capabilities that exceed normal human capabilities. E.g. as per this definition, Indra is a God that has power over rainfall. Brahma is a God that has power over creation. Varuna is a God that has power over wind. The tenure of Brahma and Varuna is considered to last for over billions of years. (BTW, Brahma and Varuna, etc., are "placeholders" in that in different cycles of creation, different exalted selves, jivas, are considered to hold the position of Brahma or Varuna. Which particular jiva gets to hold this position is based on past karma.)

Per this definition, Hinduism has many Gods that are *distinct* from each other, yet subservient to one "Super"God. Now, this "Super"God is different for different schools of theology. For e.g. Vaishnavites hold that this "Super"God is Vishnu. Shaivites hold that this "Super"God is Shiva. So, while no God's existence is denied, what is contested is the hierarchy amongst them.

BTW: Not directly related to your question, but this may help, maybe not.

I was reading the Srimad Bhagavatam last night. In one account, Brahma implores Vishnu not to reveal his divinity to everyone simultaneously. (BTW, there is an interesting account in the Gita where Krishna reveals his infinitely divine form to Arjuna after endowing him with divine sight, but that is for another thread) Brahma begs that if Vishnu did indeed reveal his fully divine form to everyone, Brahma's work as creator would come to an end since all selves, jivas, would immediately turn towards Vishnu and attain moksha. There would be no need for any further cycle of creation.

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Not sure whether Scriptural Debates is the best area for this thread, but these are indeed interesting questions to clarify.

To the best of my understanding, it is mostly a matter of picking and choosing your own set of Devas according to personal inclination. Not sure whether that comes from the Sampradaya or if it is the other way around (choosing a Sampradaya as a result of affinity to, say, Shiva).

If I am not mistaken, there are sects which do indeed state that Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva are aspects of some form of original deity. But then again, there are Puranas that claim that Brahma originated from Shiva or from a Lotus. And there are those who point out (rightfully IMO) that the whole matter of who came first among deities that are not even understood to be truly separate is questionable to begin with.

So it seems to me that those claims are far more a matter of style than of doctrine proper, and Hinduism tends not to lose a lot of sleep on deciding which are "true". The focus tends to be far more on how the Hindus relate to their conceptions of the Devas instead.

Or to put it another way, there is no clear need to establish an original deity, mostly because Hinduism does not feel much a need to state that any Deva is "truer" than others.

I may be mistaken, but that is how it looks to me.

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
It's like Christians, there's many sects that all believe in their savior,
not neccessarily their 'god'.
And then you have the Jewish sect of worshipping their God, sans Jesus.
And then you have Allah, not exactly equal to the Hebrew meaning of 'God'.
There's a lot of different sects in almost all main religions,
it depends on what 'religion' one's 'main religion', that is .
I kinda like Budduh sized Brahma,
and I'm not sure about that Vishnu and Shiva.
I guess it's all Brahma to me !
~
'mud

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
My problem is this:

I think here you are confusing the words Brahma with Brahman. Two different words. In my non-dual (God and creation are not-two) Hindu school (Advaita), Brahman is All; infinite consciousness and the universe is a play/drama within Brahman. Gods like Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva are gods within the play/drama of Brahman.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
It's like Christians, there's many sects that all believe in their savior,
not neccessarily their 'god'.
And then you have the Jewish sect of worshipping their God, sans Jesus.
And then you have Allah, not exactly equal to the Hebrew meaning of 'God'.
There's a lot of different sects in almost all main religions,
it depends on what 'religion' one's 'main religion', that is .
I kinda like Budduh sized Brahma,
and I'm not sure about that Vishnu and Shiva.
I guess it's all Brahma to me !
~
'mud
I would advise against expecting such close parallels between Hinduism and those odd Christ-based religions, personally.

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
"It's like Christians,....." "..not neccessarily their 'god'. "
no parallels here,........or am I not getting the humor !
Remember....I'm quite old !!
~
'mud

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Is it like:

Braham: Everything/universal consciousness/etc

Shiva, Rama, Vishnu are a gods and goddesses within Brahman

Each Hindu centers on the god or goddess they are pulled to which in turn leads them to a connection with Brahman?

:leafwind:

Forgive my crude comparison, but I'm glad this isn't a DIR and I kind of liken to @'mud example.

IF/is it like:

Catholicism (has many sects just as Hindu has many sects)

One god (one Brahman)

(Excluding Jesus for the moment to take out confusion)

Many saints (many gods and goddesses)

Just like the saints are ways for a Catholic to understand and connect with God via their life, characteristics, and prayers, so does the rituals, prayers, and characteristics of the gods of Hinduism lead the Hindu to connect with Brahman?​

Confusing this a bit more...

Similarly to Mahayana Buddhism where we liken to the Bodhisattvas (Hindu; gods and goddesses) and the many Buddhas who have given their knowledge and wisdom so we know The Buddha's mind and in turn our own minds (Hindu: Brahman)?

When a Hindu finds a connection with say Vishnu and another Shiva, is that like a Buddhist finding connection with say Shariputra and another with Ananda and even though they are all disciples of The Buddha, they also are examples of how to connect to The Buddha's Mind (our mind) just as every other Buddha, disciple, and Bodhisattva?​

Even though in Buddhism, we connect directly to The Buddha's mind with The Buddhas and Bodhisattvas as examples while, I assume Hinduism, the gods and goddesses are manifestations or examples that lead or are Brahman?​

So we have a range of ways to understanding the nature of life through Buddhas, Bodhisattvas, and The Buddha's disciples as well as lay Buddhists.

Is that the same with Hinduism, the gods and goddesses are avenues to Brahman(or IS a connection with Brahman) and just different sects of Hindu follow different gods that lead up to that same source?​

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I wonder how accurate it is to say that most Hindus "follow a God". It feels like an unnecessarily narrow description of the variety of possible relationships with the Devas.

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
I wonder how accurate it is to say that most Hindus "follow a God". It feels like an unnecessarily narrow description of the variety of possible relationships with the Devas.

Depending on the person (Or even the feeling of the moment) a devotee relates to a Deva as if they are:

-Parent
-Friend
-Lover
-Guru
-Lord/Queen/Leader

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

It depends. So many people are Christianitized, that it's hard to see the word god as anything else.

The word god isn't defined by one religion and definitely not the abrahamic since paganism had gods way before Judaism even arose. Maybe the issue is not the characteristic of god since god has many characteristics depending on the god-religion (any religion all over the globe) but that it's a noun treated as a proper noun rather than an adjective that describes characteristics that in one religion may define consciousness while another creator.

Depends.

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
If we were to believe in only a singular ""BRAHMA/GOD/ALLAH/"",
why don't we understand how confused he'd have to be !!
~
'mud

निताइ dasa

Nitai's servant's servant
Its a question of theology of different schools and hence their interpretation of scriptures. Impersonalistic schools believe that the absolute truth (Brahman) is ultimately impersonal and on the stage of worship may appear in many forms (like Durga, Brahma Visnu etc) . The spiritual practitioner may choose which God to worship according to ones taste as ultimately all are forms of the impersonal Brahman and hence worship of different Gods will lead to same goal.

The other major schools of Hinduism (which I follow) is called Vaishnavism which interprets scripture to understand that the different gods and goddess in scripture are not the same but rather supernatural beings with immense power. God is only one, and His Name is Visnu (and His Avatars like Rama etc). It is under His Will that the other demigods carry out their respective duties. On can worship other gods but the fruits of that worship is only temporary (as stated in Gita) while worship of Lord Visnu and His associates leads to true liberation. In Vaishnavism there is a hierarchy of Gods with Lord Visnu at the top. In this view, Brahman is personal, and has a form.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Whether you are a Hindu who worships Vishnu, Shiva, Shakti or focuses on the Brahman, the same can be said; each ultimately believe that there is one Supreme 'Godhead' from which all others are manifest.
So yes, there is only one God in Hinduism.

Even the manifestations of Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva are not original forms of the Divine. They are manifest specifically in order to manage the material universe/s.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
"God" hmm, I wonder if even that is accurate within Hinduism?

Yes, we have Shiva, Krishna, Rama etc etc etc. But even that is an oversimplification. They are merely labels we give to certain aspects of the same God (in some sects.) There is an underlying belief (within some schools) that there exists an ultimate energy of the Universe. This energy connects everything as one and Hindus hope to "tap into it" so to speak. To realise that this energy flows within them and that they are not separate from it at all. (Again in some schools.)
Whether one labels this energy as Brahman, Shiva or even the remnants of the Big Bang. It matters not, it is the goal of a Hindu to see themselves as they truly are.
As everything and nothing, as the blade of grass and the air that feeds the world. As one with the energy or God, whatever you wish to call it.
We call it the Divine or the nameless formless one, (or the "one true God" for you Westerners) perhaps as an easier access point for the average lay person to grasp.
But that's just how I personally see Hinduism, there are a million and one other possible answers lol.

Last edited:

Sw. Vandana Jyothi

Truth is One, many are the Names
Premium Member
...as per this definition, Indra is a God that has power over rainfall. Brahma is a God that has power over creation. Varuna is a God that has power over wind.

Namaste,
A little mixup here is all. Varuna is the god of water. Vayu is the god of wind. Because the various deities have jurisdiction in the macrocosm which is also reflected in the microcosm of the human body ("as above, so below"), those deities also have a role to play in our spiritual evolution. As a devotee climbs the chakra ladder of evolving consciousness--from the more gross realms (earth) to more subtle (ether and beyond), these deities will "come into play." Ha ha, or maybe it's more like will "come in to play." (However, that's probably the expression of the view of an individual who follows the bhakti tradition in Hinduism, where the impersonal Brahman becomes uniquely personal.)

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
My view may be a little off the beam to most Hindus, but it's like this:
  1. Brahman, all there is. Transcendant and immanent.
  2. Brahman manifests as the universe(s) and world, as Vishnu and Shiva, whom I believe are one and the same, though w/ different aspects; and as Shakti/Devi.
  3. The "male" principle is action, the "female" principle is energy (shakti). Without energy there is no action; without action energy is inert.
  4. The other gods and goddesses, and "demi-gods" are manifestations, expansions, avatars or "children", e.g. Ganesha, Murugan, Ayappa are sons of Shiva; Hanuman son of of Vayu; I even read somewhere that Lakshmi and Saraswati are "daughters" of Parvati. In my pov Durga and Kali are expansions of Parvati, for example.
Though I worship all the gods and goddesses in one way or another, or at one time or another, Vishnu is primus inter pares, first among equals.

Yes weird views, I know. Is this right or wronh? I don't know, but it's how I see and feel things.