• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hinduism and Buddhism

I was just wondering this question, and I decided to ask people who knew more about than myself. Can you be a devout Hindu and Buddhist? Are these two religions really very different? Because it has always seemed to me they hold many things in common. Someone please come and help me on this subject.

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
According to Hindu teachings all paths lead to the same destination. The Vedas say that Truth is one but is called by many names. There are some specific teachings that would vary between Hinduism and Buddhism but religion is a way of life and you can choose to live by the teachings that you believe in. If you are doing this, perhaps you can just say that you are influenced by both Hinduism and Buddhism.

Well, you cant' Buddhism was based on hte rejection of god and the Vedas. But you can follow principles from either one, but you need a major belief in either one. Either way, its all good.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I think this is only a tad bit debatable and not truly any point of contention. As Hema pointed out correctly, there are many similar teachings derived from the Vedas that are prominent in both Hinduism and Buddhism (concepts of karma and moksha, for example).

On the other hand, there are a couple of distinctions between the two paths that set each other apart. But as others have said, it's all good. :)

Peace,
Mystic

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I see them as opposite sides of the same coin. Both are Karmic religions. Both posit transmigration of souls. Both see an end to this cycle upon the achievement of enlightenment. Historically, Buddhism may be (and is by many Hindus) regarded as a sect of Hinduism.

Both have a similar metaphysic, but where Hindus are constntly trying to describe the indescribable and explain the inexplicable, Buddhists devote little time to such futile endeavors and just recommend various exercises by which people might realize the Reality of things themselves.
Hindus use similar exercises, but feel compelled to go on and on with descriptions of the path, the milestones, the goals, &c.

Hindus describe a universe of undifferentiated everythingness, Buddhists describe undifferentiated no-thingness. It all comes to the same thing.

Hindus describe enlightenment as an expansion of awareness to encompass everything. Buddhists describe it as an expansion into no-thingness.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Seyorni, though this is an old thread, let me congratulate you for the excellent explanation. IMHO, barring semantics there is no difference between Buddhism and hinduism. But please note that his nothing-ness is also not real nothing-ness. Buddha refused to answer questions about God/Gods or nothing-ness as he did not consider that important. He asked his disciples to note what he did not answer and what he did answer.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friends,
Buddhism is an extention of Hindusim.
Hinduism is a way of life and open to everything. Hinduism encompasses all religions it is unfortunate that the limited human mind differentiates Hinduism as another religion.
meditation on Sunyata, Nirakar or formlessnes has been there in Hinduism too which Buddha finally took it to greater heights BY BALANCING between both the poles of duality and not siding with either.
Finally it makes no difference as once enlightened, it makes no difference which WAY / PATH one uses as they all become irrelevant.
Love & rgds

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Good point, zenzero.
It makes no difference what religion Plato's troglodyte subscribes to. Remove him from the cave and he will perceive the same expanded reality irrespective of previous beliefs.

Somkid

Nope, I don't think religiously it would work however many of the philosophies are similar and Buddhists and Hindus tend to get along well. In my "home town" we don't have a Buddhist temple actually in the entire state we don't have a Buddhist temple however we do have a Hindu temple that put in a large Buddha and invited we Buddhists to use their facility, which was done in loving-kindness and is worthy of great merit.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
I see them as opposite sides of the same coin. Both are Karmic religions. Both posit transmigration of souls. Both see an end to this cycle upon the achievement of enlightenment. Historically, Buddhism may be (and is by many Hindus) regarded as a sect of Hinduism.
Seyorni, Buddhism does not posit transmigration of souls. Buddhism does not posit souls. In Hinduism there is an eternal soul that is bound to reincarnation via karma. In Buddhism there are collections of aggregates that are conditioned into being via karma. There is rebirth, not reincarnation. Meaning another birth happens, but there is no eternal soul to be reincarnated.

As for whether you can be both, hey, if it works for you. :angel2:

Runt

The term "Hinduism" is highly problematic because it is an invention of 19th century Europeans attempting to construct Indian religion in a decidedly Western light. It is better understood as an umbrella term used to group together a wide variety of religions, not all of which are based on the Vedas, not all of which are grounded in Varnas, and not all of which are strictly theistic. So if we attempt to discuss whether or not Hinduism and Buddhism are compatible enough for an individual to claim to be both Hindu and Buddhist at once, one must ask oneself what kind of Hindu, and, what kind of Buddhist. I will add, however, that syncretisms form involving religions apparently far more difficult to reconcile than Hinduism and Buddhism, and there are plenty of ethnographic accounts of Hindu-Buddhist syncretism.

The only example I can think of off the top of my head:
Kataragama rituals in Sri Lanka

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friends,
The differences that you talk about is there between two leaves also, it is bound to be. Every thing is unique in itself BUT deep down the are meeting at the same point.
Friend Liluthu; maybe there is some conceptual problem about some differences for you BUT both Hinduism and Buddhism are talking about the same thing JUST a change in GESTALT result is the same. As mentioned Buddha only took one aspect of Hinduism to greater heights and his followers named it after him but normally in himduism though many have contributed none attributed their personal name to any such discoveries as that showsthe ego.
Finally do remember that they all reach the same goal. One has only to select what SUITS the individual most may be a combination of all. Today we see Yoga of India. Vipassana of Buddhism. Tai-Chi of Tao, Zazen of Zen etc been more popular amongs the masses globally. It makes no difference neither the gurus wanted such differences to be highlighted as differnces but as work done in a particular field and open for others to take it beyond. We find similarity in open source code like Linux.
Somkid too has a mental block. Temples are places of worship or meditation and makes nodifference whom you are praying to as even Buddha said * You have to kill me , if I come in the way* Similarly each one has to reach to that NOTHINGNESS by killing any form that comes even those that are found any any temples/ churches etc. Mohammad was another person who went directly for that No form but laid stress on whats written in the koran and which is subject to interpretation by scholars who are not enlightened and so differences occur.
Differences are all LIMITATION of the MIND. ANd only when the Mind is dropped that all differences drop and merge to that Nothingness.
Love & rgds

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
You could have avoided the mention of Mohammad. There are doubts about what he was after. Nothingness or sometimes oneness in Hinduism.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Friend Liluthu; maybe there is some conceptual problem about some differences for you BUT both Hinduism and Buddhism are talking about the same thing JUST a change in GESTALT result is the same.
SOME people say they are talking about the same thing. OTHERS say they are talking about different things.

You assume I have a conceptual problem. From my pov, I am respecting what was taught, as it was taught, without imposing my own interpretations on it. Personally, I agree that they ultimately teach the same thing. But I recognize that that is an interpretation, and respect that others do not agree.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Liluthu,
Your point of view is well respected here, whatever be the learning and understanding.
As for the assumption; well, it was just that an assumption.
Love & rgds

Surya Deva

This is a very interesting discussion.

I am not well-read in Buddhism as I am in Hinduism, but I am familiar with some of the Buddhas teachings and some of the facts about Buddhism. Now, Buddhism itself does not refer to a singular philosophy or belief system, but to several, each with varying interpretations and their own idiosyncracies. The Zen schools of Buddhism for example are more of a syncretic form of Buddhism, combining Taoism with Buddhism. Some of these branches are closer to Hinduism than others, such as Tibetian Buddhism.

It would be safe to say that Buddhism like all Indian religions religions has sprung from the Vedas. However, later the Buddhism branched off from Hinduism and established itself as its own religion. A similar phenomenon has taken place with Sikhism. However, technically, they would be considered denominations of Hinduism as opposed to new religions, and many Hindus do consider them as such and it is not uncommon for Hindus to practice them.

One of the most fundamental disagreements between Hinduism and Buddhism is their philosophy on the nature of self. While the Hindus contend that the Atman is real, the Buddhists reject the self and contend anatman(no self) and this has been the reason for the rivalry between Hinduism and Buddhism for centuries. The Hindus accept that there is a permenant all pervading supreme consciousness/supreme being that is within each and everyone of us, but the Buddhists accept that there is no self, that it just an illusion that arises from an aggregate of mental and physical processes and is continuously born and reborn every moment - the only real truth is nothingness.

Hence, based on these positions Hindu and Buddhist logicians have been debating for centuries, but Buddhist logicians have never been able to beat the Hindu logicians. The argument is, if the self is simply an impermenant and unending aggregation of mental and physical processes, how does this explain the fact of memory and personal identity which are enduring phenomena?

Yet, within Buddhism itself, within the most authorative texts such as the Mahanirvana sutras, we read this:

When I have taught non-Self, fools uphold the teaching that there is no Self. The wise know that such is conventional speech, and they are free from doubts. "When I have taught that the tathagata-garbha is empty, fools meditatively cultivate [the notion] that it is extinction [uccheda], subject to destruction and imperfect. The wise know that it is [actually] unchanging, stable and eternal."

It would would seem that those who accept this text have barely any differences with Hinduism. Hinduism propounds exactly the same thing. In fact it would seem what has happened is that some Hindus and Buddhists have misunderstood what Buddha meant when he said there was no self. He was referring to the phenomenal self, the same phenomenal self which in Hinduism is also said to be false. The notion of 'I' or ego is as strongly repudiated in Hinduism as it is in Buddhism. Hinduism also holds that this 'I' or ego is an aggregate of mental and physical processes which is temporal and impermenant. Like Buddhism, Hinduism also holds that that the phenomenal universe is temporal and impermenant.
It appears Buddha decided to only concentrate on teaching this to people, rather than teaching them about Atman and Brahman, to destroy the false notions of the world they had. He knew that by taking the path of dharma they would eventually arrive at Atman and Brahman anyway. This is also why Hindus consider Buddha to be a grand deceiver, those who were wordly that did not follow dharma in his time, could only be taught by coming down to their level.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Suraj,
Gautama Buddha was a wise man so was Jesus.
Their problem was Time. They had only one last lifetime to spread their message and within that time they only tried to spread what they felt was only necessary with 10 commandments or the 8 fold path etc.
As you have mentioned; if you understand Buddha with your heart you can understand that what ever he said was not different to Sanatana Dharma BUt he never went arguing about his points but tried and explained like you have mentioned in his speech as to where his finger was pointing. You yourself stated that in the begining there was this:
In the beginning
the non-existent was not then
Nor was the existent
The Earth was not, nor the Firament
Nor that which is beyond
What was the covering?
And where and in whose care did the cosmic waters and the bottomless deep then exist?

This is NOTHINGNESS / Sunyata that Buddha is talking about.
Besides though have no idea where in Sanatan Dharma there exists SUNYATA which is even meditated upon. And this is where Buddha went deep into. Not that he spoke outside the Sanatan Dharma but since the dharma gives him space to dig deeper he dug it out.
Do not know from where Buddhism branched out but Buddha always talked about DHARMA which to my mind was only one that is SANATAN dharma.
Buddha took the middle path that is God / satan were kept out of discussions and more importance to personal experiences given.
Love & rgds

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
It would would seem that those who accept this text have barely any differences with Hinduism. Hinduism propounds exactly the same thing. In fact it would seem what has happened is that some Hindus and Buddhists have misunderstood what Buddha meant when he said there was no self. He was referring to the phenomenal self, the same phenomenal self which in Hinduism is also said to be false. The notion of 'I' or ego is as strongly repudiated in Hinduism as it is in Buddhism. Hinduism also holds that this 'I' or ego is an aggregate of mental and physical processes which is temporal and impermenant. Like Buddhism, Hinduism also holds that that the phenomenal universe is temporal and impermenant.
It appears Buddha decided to only concentrate on teaching this to people, rather than teaching them about Atman and Brahman, to destroy the false notions of the world they had. He knew that by taking the path of dharma they would eventually arrive at Atman and Brahman anyway. This is also why Hindus consider Buddha to be a grand deceiver, those who were wordly that did not follow dharma in his time, could only be taught by coming down to their level.
That would be one interpretation, yes.