• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hijacking God.

Ellen Brown

I am curious about where people get the idea that God supports them exclusively? While growing up we were inundated with "Manifest Destiny" and America as a Christian Nation.

I was just listening to Hail Britannia and the author felt that England was supposed to rule the world.

What happened?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I am curious about where people get the idea that God supports them exclusively? While growing up we were inundated with "Manifest Destiny" and America as a Christian Nation.

I was just listening to Hail Britannia and the author felt that England was supposed to rule the world.

What happened?

If you are a Christian then God is on your side and will support your endeavors, right?

England was close to ruling the world wasn't it. Then America rebelled. I remember hearing "The sun never sets on the British Empire".

I don't think Britain feels that way anymore, I suppose diversity caught up to it.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member

What happened?

It helps to know that God supports no nation in this world. The reason being that satan is identified as "the ruler of this world". How could God support any nation when they are all controlled by the devil? Aren't their actions enough to show who influences their decisions and conduct? Christ never sanctioned bloodshed, but told us to 'love our enemies'. You can't love them with weapons.

There is no such thing as a "Christian" nation because only individuals can choose to become followers of Christ. How many people who identify as "Christians" actually act like one 24/7? (Matthew 7:21-23) Unless those "Christians" are acting in a Christ-like manner, and doing the will of God, Jesus will not accept them as his own.

It is precisely because nations have assumed that God is on their side, that they have justified some of the most heinous acts of bloodshed in history. They have been kidding themselves all this time IMO.

Christian is, as Christian does.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
If you are a Christian then God is on your side and will support your endeavors, right?

Only if your conduct is Christ-like. It's easy to call yourself a Christian.....but not so easy to act like one every day. It's a struggle actually.

England was close to ruling the world wasn't it. Then America rebelled. I remember hearing "The sun never sets on the British Empire".

I don't think Britain feels that way anymore, I suppose diversity caught up to it.

It was prophesied in the book of Daniel that Britannia would be a world power and no one can deny that she was a powerful conquerer, but military prowess was not a proof of God's blessing.

God sanctioned wars in Israel but only to defend their God-given land. There is no land on earth today that is God-given.....most of it is 'stolen' and Britain stole more land than just about anyone. That is why they could say that "the sun never set on the British Empire". But it would come back to bite them when their chickens came home to roost. That very small country is now overpopulated with people from all those conquered nations who are all technically "British". It has not been a happy blending of people.

America may have rebelled, but in the 20th century, they realigned with Britain and became the last ruling power of Bible prophesy according to Daniel. It is sobering to read what Daniel writes about these last rulers......

"In the days of those kings the God of heaven will set up a kingdom that will never be destroyed. And this kingdom will not be passed on to any other people. It will crush and put an end to all these kingdoms, and it alone will stand forever," (Daniel 2:44)

This is why I believe that the end of the present system of things is not far away.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Those people confusing Britain and England are triggering me.

joe1776

What happened?
Delusions of grandeur wither and die over time.

Rational Agnostic

What happened?

People want to believe the Invisible Cosmic Overlord is looking out for them. Read the bible, for instance. The guy who created the entire universe of 100,000,000,000 galaxies somehow cares about which of the petty battles the ancient Israelites won.

Ellen Brown

And, with Trump, that time will leave America.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
I've always thought it was a strange thing to think. What if your country then gets a lot of misfortune, with no fault of your own? Does that mean God suddenly has deserted your country?

Even if someone is very faithful and very adhering of their religion, does that mean God will always bless them and nothing bad will ever happen? What about Jesus, if you're Christian, you surely know that being crucified might lead someone to believe that God isn't on your side, and he was perfection incarnate, no?

If you mean that God being on your side means anything from blessings to having a miserable life, then isn't everyone then on God's side, since everyone has those experiences? Then what is the distinction?

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
It usually happens that a culture/nation/people consider themselves superior and entitled. Religion is simply a convenient excuse for empire. I don't care if it's Asia/Buddhism or the Middle East/Islam or the West/Christianity. The REAL reason is expansion for reasons of resources.

whirlingmerc

What happened?

It's human nature... Joshua asked 'the captain of the Lord's army' if he was for them or their enemies and he said 'neither, I serve God'

Adjacent psalms that tell a story

IndigoChild5559

Nonsense.
Because you have pulled my sentence out of its context, you make it appear as though I believe the ONLY reason for religion is to support empire. That was not the context of the remark.

I'm very pro religion. I myself am a religious person. I quite believe in God, the obvious object of religious worship. In addition, we are much better off as people if we are religious. This doesn't mean that religion can't be hijacked for the purpose of empire.

Shad

Veteran Member

What happened?

Hubris, arrogance, self-righteousness and religious fanaticism bolstered by nationalism and absurd dogma/doctrine mixing religion and state. Divine Right of Kings for example.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Because you have pulled my sentence out of its context, you make it appear as though I believe the ONLY reason for religion is to support empire.
Work on reading comprehension. My statement was clear. The assertion that "religion is simply a convenient excuse for empire" is nonsense.

whirlingmerc

Because you have pulled my sentence out of its context, you make it appear as though I believe the ONLY reason for religion is to support empire. That was not the context of the remark.

I'm very pro religion. I myself am a religious person. I quite believe in God, the obvious object of religious worship. In addition, we are much better off as people if we are religious. This doesn't mean that religion can't be hijacked for the purpose of empire.

Religious people largely began the hospitals, orphanages, charitable organizations, fought for rights and freedom for slaves, fought for women rights and setup schools for more people when others did not... hardly the motives of empire building.

They also are more generous with their money

IndigoChild5559

Religious people largely began the hospitals, orphanages, charitable organizations, fought for rights and freedom for slaves, fought for women rights and setup schools for more people when others did not... hardly the motives of empire building.

They also are more generous with their money
You are absolutely correct.

IndigoChild5559

Work on reading comprehension. My statement was clear. The assertion that "religion is simply a convenient excuse for empire" is nonsense.
My remark, if understood properly (and this is the second time I'm clarfifying, so you have no excuse) is to say that when an empire decides to expand its territory, or to pilfer resources from everyone else, it will USE religion as a rationalization to do so. This doesn't mean that this is the only use of religion. Now if you actually think the above is nonsense, I don't know what to tell you.