• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hi!

Miken

I have been around religion oriented forums for years. While not religious myself, I find the subject of religion and especially the Christian scriptures to be fascinating. I have no quarrel with anyone's flavor of religiosity or lack thereof. Yet I have my own opinions about what the authors of the various scripture intended to be understood. This is not based on any ideology pro or con but simply on what I see in the writings in the context of their times and situations.

So again, Hi!

Last edited:

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I have been around religion oriented forums for years. Why not religious myself, I find the subject of religion and especially the Christian scriptures to be fascinating. I have no quarrel with anyone's flavor of religiosity or lack thereof. Yet I have my own opinions about what the authors of the various scripture intended to be understood. This is not based on any ideology pro or con but simply on what I see in the writings in the context of their times and situations.

So again, Hi!

Welcome. It's good to have you!

I've been on this forum for roughly a year and a half and if I did have any advice for you, it's that you'll find Christians to talk to, several of them, they're all pretty cool, but to also remember it's a site of all faiths too. Which you seem to understand. Now this does actually have some benefit in ways too - the Christian only sites kind of exclude even some Christians sometimes in their trying to please a certain kind of base. But it's not really my place to get into it here. I'd rather welcome you.

I'm a follower of Hinduism. It's been an interesting experience and I've tried various things regarding it.

I might also @ a couple of Christians because while I don't know them all extremely well, I think they might like to welcome you maybe? @KenS @Deeje @nPeace

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
I have been around religion oriented forums for years. Why not religious myself, I find the subject of religion and especially the Christian scriptures to be fascinating. I have no quarrel with anyone's flavor of religiosity or lack thereof. Yet I have my own opinions about what the authors of the various scripture intended to be understood. This is not based on any ideology pro or con but simply on what I see in the writings in the context of their times and situations.

So again, Hi!

Welcome to RF. I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on the intent of authors of religious scriptures.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member

So again, Hi!

Hi to you too and thank you to @KAT-KAT for the introduction....

Always here for any questions....nothing off limits....lots of viewpoints here.
I am one of those kicked off many "Christian" sites because "you can't say that here".......:eek:

Love the diversity and openness of this site.

Welcome! ;)

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

I've been on this forum for roughly a year and a half and if I did have any advice for you, it's that you'll find Christians to talk to, several of them, they're all pretty cool, but to also remember it's a site of all faiths too. Which you seem to understand. Now this does actually have some benefit in ways too - the Christian only sites kind of exclude even some Christians sometimes in their trying to please a certain kind of base. But it's not really my place to get into it here. I'd rather welcome you.

I'm a follower of Hinduism. It's been an interesting experience and I've tried various things regarding it.

I might also @ a couple of Christians because while I don't know them all extremely well, I think they might like to welcome you maybe? @KenS @Deeje @nPeace
Kat - You are....... wonderful!

Hellooooo @Miken

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Greetings!

Join us for a free after dinner snack in the staff cafeteria...
1534452575576.jpg

Miken

Thanks for the welcome! Although I I have no problem with Christianity, I am non-religious myself. My views on what the scripture writers were saying are not always welcome by Christians. We will see what happens.

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
I have been around religion oriented forums for years. While not religious myself, I find the subject of religion and especially the Christian scriptures to be fascinating. I have no quarrel with anyone's flavor of religiosity or lack thereof. Yet I have my own opinions about what the authors of the various scripture intended to be understood. This is not based on any ideology pro or con but simply on what I see in the writings in the context of their times and situations.

So again, Hi!
Have any alternative theories about the Upanishads or the Vedas?

Nimos

So again, Hi!
tenor.gif

Miken

Have any alternative theories about the Upanishads or the Vedas?

No. I have no real knowledge about the historical setting of those works and the original languages are totally opaque to me so original intent would be hard to come by. In the case of the New Testament the historical setting is well documented and I can sort of get by in Koine Greek, although only slowly and with references at hand. In addition, the motives of each author are clear especially when they bounce off each other. This is not the place to discuss that. Since my views are often quite different from the usual Christian ones, DIR does not seem a proper place either. Any recommendations on where I can appropriately discuss NT scriptures and related topics in detail but without coming up with 'proper' Christian conclusions?

nPeace

Veteran Member

So again, Hi!
animated-smileys-waving-008.gif
Hi Mike
animated-smileys-signs-085.gif
....................... @KAT-KAT
animated-smileys-hello-16.gif

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
No. I have no real knowledge about the historical setting of those works and the original languages are totally opaque to me so original intent would be hard to come by. In the case of the New Testament the historical setting is well documented and I can sort of get by in Koine Greek, although only slowly and with references at hand. In addition, the motives of each author are clear especially when they bounce off each other. This is not the place to discuss that. Since my views are often quite different from the usual Christian ones, DIR does not seem a proper place either. Any recommendations on where I can appropriately discuss NT scriptures and related topics in detail but without coming up with 'proper' Christian conclusions?

Either general discussion or debates would be more appropriate, given that you're an 'outsider' to Christianity.

I'm an atheist with an interest in history, that's where I'd make threads based on Christian history, or even questions about theological concepts I want a range of opinions on.