• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hi. I need some help...

Milton Platt

I'm Tenjen. I came to RF because I am in need of help. I need a guide. I can't figure out which religion I should be apart of, and which one I really believe. I have always felt the need for a higher power, but I never knew which one. I have studied extensively into nearly every religion that exists on this Earth. I have searched far and near. But I have found nothing. Nothing I truly believe in. I know that there is a higher power, I have always felt a presence. But I do not know who or what. I come here asking for help finding in what I really believe in. Not just saying I believe in something. I have tried so many different things to find out what I believe in. I was born and raised a Methodist Christian, which I think is limiting me. I think it is hard to "break away" and get that stuff out of my head as I look into other religions. I feel like it has limited my ability to believe in something else. Although, it could be for me, or not. I don't know. I'm lost, confused, and in need of the communities help to find my way and find what I truly believe in, not just saying I do. Please, oh please, do not say "read your Bible" etc etc. I want unbiased help with this. I thank you so much for taking the time to read this message. Message me if you need anything.

There is no need for a 'higher power", but many people feel they need a "daddy" for some reason or other. Why don't you start by reading up on what we actually know about the universe from a scientific perspective and reject any religion that conflicts with that knowledge?

ronandcarol

Premium Member
Hi. I need some help...
Sorry that you are confused, but you are standing in front of a huge smorgasbord! You must have it partly narrowed down because you are referring to Religions and not cults.
From there your next step should be, what do you believe happens after you die? If you believe that there is life after death, that will narrow your decision making down considerably, to the only one that boldly offers life eternal, Christianity.
ronandcarol

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I'm Tenjen. I came to RF because I am in need of help. I need a guide. I can't figure out which religion I should be apart of, and which one I really believe. I have always felt the need for a higher power, but I never knew which one. I have studied extensively into nearly every religion that exists on this Earth. I have searched far and near. But I have found nothing. Nothing I truly believe in. I know that there is a higher power, I have always felt a presence. But I do not know who or what. I come here asking for help finding in what I really believe in. Not just saying I believe in something. I have tried so many different things to find out what I believe in. I was born and raised a Methodist Christian, which I think is limiting me. I think it is hard to "break away" and get that stuff out of my head as I look into other religions. I feel like it has limited my ability to believe in something else. Although, it could be for me, or not. I don't know. I'm lost, confused, and in need of the communities help to find my way and find what I truly believe in, not just saying I do. Please, oh please, do not say "read your Bible" etc etc. I want unbiased help with this. I thank you so much for taking the time to read this message. Message me if you need anything.
I would caution against searching for Internet people who tell you what you really believe. That said, I came here with no purpose and found a guide to what I really believe in. So there is hope. I would suggest that the best answers are found while not looking for them.

Edit: Or just imbibe Revoltingest's posts.

lostwanderingsoul

Electra says nothing is inherently wrong. That is exactly why rhere is so much crime and hatred in the world. No one thinks anything is wrong. God has made certain laws and breaking them is inherently wrong. If everyone followed God's laws there would be pease and love throughout the world. Do not believe anyone who says you can do nothing wrong. You must work hard to try to avoid breaking God's rules but you will be a better person for trying.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Well, if you know there is a higher power and you feel his presence, then what are you asking us for?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Welcome, Tenjen. Good luck shedding your religious conditioning and finding something you can relate to.
Whatever you find there will be plenty of posters here to tell you why it makes no sense.:D
Something fun to start with:
Belief-O-Matic®

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
@ronandcarol Belief in an afterlife, (i.e. a continuation of life after the death of the body) was not a Jewish belief originally. Around the second century BCE, Jews, under influence from Platonic Greek teachings about an immortal soul, gradually changed their view about life after death.

How the Major Religions View the Afterlife - Dictionary definition of How the Major Religions View the Afterlife | Encyclopedia.com: FREE online dictionary

Christianity is one of many religions that adopted this pagan notion which is nothing more than a perpetuation of the first lie that the devil told in Eden...."you surely will not die". It was God who told them that they would "surely die" if they disobeyed his only command....so who lied? (Genesis 2:17; Genesis 3:4)

It is clear from the scriptures that Solomon and his father, King David wrote about death from the ancient Jewish perspective.

Animals are called "souls" in the OT and yet, they are not promised everlasting life.
Solomon noted that sin made humans just like the animals, with an expectation of death. Humans were not created to die but to lenjoy everlasting life on earth. (Genesis 3:22-24) God took away the only means to keep on living. (Genesis 3:22-24)

Animals and humans breathe the same air and die the same death.

He wrote at Ecclesiastes 3:18-20:

"I also thought to myself, “It is for the sake of people, so God can clearly show them that they are like animals.
19 For the fate of humans and the fate of animals are the same: As one dies, so dies the other; both have the same breath.
There is no advantage for humans over animals, for both are fleeting.
20 Both go to the same place, both come from the dust, and to dust both return."

Also at Ecclesiastes 9:5-6;10:
"...because the living know that they will die. But the dead know nothing at all. There is no more reward for them; even the memory of them is lost. 6 Their love and their hate, as well as their zeal, are already long gone. They will never again have a stake in all that happens under the sun.

10 Whatever you are capable of doing, do with all your might because there’s no work, thought, knowledge, or wisdom in the grave [sheol], which is where you are headed."

The grave was "sheol" but the definition of this word changed meaning with the adoption of later Hellenic beliefs. Once a person stopped breathing, all consciousness ceased. People "slept" in their graves awaiting a resurrection.

King David likewise stated:
Psalm 146:4:
"His spirit [breath] departs, and he returns to the earth. In that very day, his thoughts perish."

The Hebrew word "spirit" here is ruʹach, which corresponds with the Greek pneuʹma. It means breath or air. (pneumonia and pneumatic are familiar English words taken from the Greek)
God breathed "spirit" (pneuma) into Adam causing him to become a "nephesh" (a living soul)

The word "soul" in Hebrew always meant a living, breathing creature.....it was never used to describe a disembodied spirit. The only spirits mentioned in the Bible were angels....either those faithful to God or those who became demons. As demons can impersonate the dead, the Israelites were forbidden to practice spiritism. (Deuteronomy 18:9-12)

Since Christ was Jewish, he never taught about an immortal soul, quite the contrary. When he was informed that his friend Lazarus was gravely ill, he did not hurry to cure him, even though he could have.....why? Because he wanted to demonstrate something more wonderful....a full bodily resurrection. He waited for Lazarus to die before he made his way to their home. Read the account in John 11:11-14 and ask where Jesus said Lazarus was? If Lazarus was somewhere better, then why would Jesus bring him back to this life only to die again later?

When God created humans, there was no mention of an afterlife at all......no heaven or hell.....just life or death.

Genesis 2:7:
"The Lord God formed the man from the soil of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being. [nephesh]"

Genesis 3:19
"By the sweat of your brow you will eat food until you return to the ground,
for out of it you were taken; for you are dust, and to dust you will return.

The Bible's teaching of a resurrection was replaced with the pagan notion of life after death. There is no teaching of an afterlife in Jewish scripture. And Jesus by his own resurrection showed that there are two kinds of resurrection, both requiring a restoration to life, but in different kinds of bodies. For those chosen to rule with Christ, they will experience a resurrection like his. They were to be resurrected "first". (Revelation 20:6; 1 Thessalonians 4:13-17) Jesus was given a spirit body so that he could return to his Father in heaven. (1 Peter 3:18) His co-rulers also are given an immortal spirit body in order to dwell in the presence of God.

But Jesus also promised that "the meek shall inherit the earth" so the kingdom that will rule from heaven will have earthly subjects. (Revelation 21:2-4) This was God's first purpose which he has never altered. (Isaiah 55:11)

Our beliefs about a lot of things have to be molded by scripture in the original language, not from the teachings of an apostate church rendering scripture with biased pagan notions that were introduced centuries after the scriptures were written.

Last edited:

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Read and tell me if this interests you,

Paper on Hinduism

12jtartar

Premium Member

tenjen,
It seems that the ones in charge of this post are trying to keep anyone from finding the Truth, in order to live. Every time I answer a persons question, using Bible Scriptures to prove what I say, the Staff castigated me. The people running this forum are definitely not Christians, it seems!!!
One thing you must get away from, is to look for a religion that pleases you. You must find the one that pleases God, because it seems that God only blesses ONE religion, Ephesians 4:3-6.
If you are truly seeking the truth, contact me, [email protected]. I will answer your questions, and back up everything I say with Bible Scriptures, it seems.
We cannot tell the truth of the Bible, without saying it seems, or we get punished. Agape!!!

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
This is starting to look like a convention of snake-oil salesmen hawking their wares.
cool.gif

Can I interest anyone in Pastafarianism today?
rolleyes.gif

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
This is starting to look like a convention of snake-oil salesmen hawking their wares.
cool.gif

Can I interest anyone in Pastafarianism today?
rolleyes.gif
No. The guy is asking for a brand of snake oil in the snake oil shop. The sales men are doing legitimate adverts. :D

Corvus

Feathered eyeball connoisseur
Haha, thanks for the offer. Explain if you'd like, I will gladly look into it.
Using intuition to understand. A sort of high order empathy, the observer is intimately inter linked with that he/she/it observes, which is appropriate given the ramifications of quantum mechanics, that one is subjectively a part of the universe that an observer observes. The act of observation itself effects the observed thing, on the quantum mechanical scale, where QM effects dominate. This inescapable fact of subjective limitation to our objectivity is not however necessarily fatal. We can infer indirectly about the nature of reality outside or beyond our frame of reference, we can perhaps one day learn to bend the rules of physics so completely that we or something we create can escape the confines of the entire universe, and send us a postcard back.

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
Peace be on you. Welcome.

Benedict

God calls those who He wants to His religion. Open your mind and listen for the call.
Having many years of experience with mental ill people,many will claim that God called them to do things. Are they victims of misunderstanding, because nobody believes them? Are they the chosen ones who will enter eventually into God's kingdom if they obediently act on whatever the voice calls them to do? Are you saying we should become like those mental ill people to have voices in our heads? To be honest, I find your advise extremely dangerous as it is exactly what leads people into extremism.

Deidre

It's really all a journey, finding yourself, and finding what makes the most sense to you logically and touches you, spiritually. I don't know if there is an end destination, for some, there might be...but you might have to just keep exploring, and maybe you will find that you don't ''need'' religion after all. That you identify with a few religions at one time, and that's okay, too. Don't worry too much.