• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hi. I need some help...

tenjen

I'm Tenjen. I came to RF because I am in need of help. I need a guide. I can't figure out which religion I should be apart of, and which one I really believe. I have always felt the need for a higher power, but I never knew which one. I have studied extensively into nearly every religion that exists on this Earth. I have searched far and near. But I have found nothing. Nothing I truly believe in. I know that there is a higher power, I have always felt a presence. But I do not know who or what. I come here asking for help finding in what I really believe in. Not just saying I believe in something. I have tried so many different things to find out what I believe in. I was born and raised a Methodist Christian, which I think is limiting me. I think it is hard to "break away" and get that stuff out of my head as I look into other religions. I feel like it has limited my ability to believe in something else. Although, it could be for me, or not. I don't know. I'm lost, confused, and in need of the communities help to find my way and find what I truly believe in, not just saying I do. Please, oh please, do not say "read your Bible" etc etc. I want unbiased help with this. I thank you so much for taking the time to read this message. Message me if you need anything.

tenjen

I was more thinking what sort of religious concepts or traditions you have some sort of belief/affinity with.
I see. Well, I do believe in a higher power who interacts with us on a daily basis. I think that we can interact with this higher power. I also hold meditation close to my heart. I am unsure on a holy book, whether it really be the word of a God etc. I think communal gathering is important (church basically). I enjoy spiritual music as well. What else do you need to know (I am awful at describing my beliefs lol)

SabahTheLoner

Master of the Art of Couch Potato Cuddles
Hi there.

I have a little check list on another thread that may help. It's a slightly different topic but it's just as effective with finding a single religion that suits you best.

See my comment here: How does one go about creating a religion?

Alternatively, there are many quizzes on the internet about that sort of stuff. A quick google search should bring you some options for both defined religions and personal belief.

Hopefully you'll find what you're looking for,

Welcome to RF

~Sabah

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I'm Tenjen. I came to RF because I am in need of help. I need a guide. I can't figure out which religion I should be apart of, and which one I really believe. I have always felt the need for a higher power, but I never knew which one. I have studied extensively into nearly every religion that exists on this Earth. I have searched far and near. But I have found nothing. Nothing I truly believe in. I know that there is a higher power, I have always felt a presence. But I do not know who or what. I come here asking for help finding in what I really believe in. Not just saying I believe in something. I have tried so many different things to find out what I believe in. I was born and raised a Methodist Christian, which I think is limiting me. I think it is hard to "break away" and get that stuff out of my head as I look into other religions. I feel like it has limited my ability to believe in something else. Although, it could be for me, or not. I don't know. I'm lost, confused, and in need of the communities help to find my way and find what I truly believe in, not just saying I do. Please, oh please, do not say "read your Bible" etc etc. I want unbiased help with this. I thank you so much for taking the time to read this message. Message me if you need anything.
there is only one....Almighty
chose any Name you care to

I have no religion
I don't believe we need any

Do unto others as you would have it done unto you

you should be just fine

Electra

Welcome brave weary traveller,
I commend our searching, one are doing so great.
May you rest your feet.
May I offer that maybe a guide is not what is needed.
Maybe a trust in your self that you are only who can guide you to a connection to this presence you are feeling.
Sit with the power, let yourself be guided by yourself.
You are more than enough.

I can relate to feeling that a Christian indentation has stifled the searching, as it is a whole nation who has been brainwashed by 'Christian' ideals, not for love or to further but to create guilt, and fear. Even if we individually can break free we must continue to challenge the beleifs of society and stand firm in our selfs.

<3

tenjen

Here are some questions that might help focus your searches. :)

How do you feel about multiple gods?
How do you feel about Dharma?
Would you rather the religion be newer or with old roots?
Does it matter if there is a religious manuscript to consult?

Good luck with your searches.
To answer your questions in order:

I mean, it would be interesting, but also I feel it hard to believe in multiple because I was born into a methodist family.

I think the Dharma is interesting, good rules/teachings to abide by.

I rather a religion with older roots, that is more commonly known to your average person.

It does not, but religions with a manuscript/text are placed higher on my "scale"

tenjen

Welcome brave weary traveller,
I commend our searching, one are doing so great.
May you rest your feet.
May I offer that maybe a guide is not what is needed.
Maybe a trust in your self that you are only who can guide you to a connection to this presence you are feeling.
Sit with the power, let yourself be guided by yourself.
You are more than enough.

I can relate to feeling that a Christian indentation has stifled the searching, as it is a whole nation who has been brainwashed by 'Christian' ideals, not for love or to further but to create guilt, and fear. Even if we individually can break free we must continue to challenge the beleifs of society and stand firm in our selfs.

<3
Thank you. Do you have any suggestions to "break free" and how to stop having that Christian indentation?

tenjen

God calls those who He wants to His religion. Open your mind and listen for the call.
Suggestions on how to actually do this? I have tried, just sitting there, waiting, and it is hard with a Christian background, because I always feel like the Christian God is calling me, even though I know that is just myself thinking to myself since it was the way I was born

tenjen

Hi there.

I have a little check list on another thread that may help. It's a slightly different topic but it's just as effective with finding a single religion that suits you best.

See my comment here: How does one go about creating a religion?

Alternatively, there are many quizzes on the internet about that sort of stuff. A quick google search should bring you some options for both defined religions and personal belief.

Hopefully you'll find what you're looking for,

Welcome to RF

~Sabah
Thank you, I will check it out.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
First welcome to RF.

As I've asked others, why a religion rather than follow a spiritual discipline which is something different? The ranks of the "spiritual but not religious" are growing.

To me all traditional holy books are not truth but contain truth - a big difference. Have you read holy books from other religions? I'm not sure what you meant by "high and low"?

tenjen

First welcome to RF.

As I've asked others, why a religion rather than follow a spiritual discipline which is something different? The ranks of the "spiritual but not religious" are growing.

To me all traditional holy books are not truth but contain truth - a big difference. Have you read holy books from other religions? I'm not sure what you meant by "high and low"?
Alright. Interesting. Thank you.

By "high and low" I mean in a position higher to my beliefs

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Suggestions on how to actually do this? I have tried, just sitting there, waiting, and it is hard with a Christian background, because I always feel like the Christian God is calling me, even though I know that is just myself thinking to myself since it was the way I was born

We are all born into a culture, or can have curtural bias or diversity, and since there are so many professing to be Christian, and that Jesus forewarned that MANY coming 'in his name' would prove false according to Matthew chapter 7, then to me the religion that most closely matches the first-century teachings of Jesus would be the one in harmony with the Bible. Since you feel like the Christian God is calling you, there is a search engine claiming to accurately follow Jesus' teachings found at www.jw.org. There is found suggestions on how to actually do that.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
@tenjen Hello and welcome.
4xvim2p.gif

It is my belief that God chooses us as much as we choose him. He is searching the hearts of all humans to see who will qualify to become a citizen of his Kingdom. If we have the right disposition and attitude, we will be trying to be the best person we can possibly be....the kind of person God would be proud to have in his kingdom. There are traits however, that God says are undesirable....the kind displayed by all those who opposed God in the Bible.

He gives us a list in Proverbs of the things he will not tolerate....

Proverbs 6:16-19:
16 The Lord hates six things; in fact, seven are detestable to Him:
17 arrogant eyes, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood,

18 a heart that plots wicked schemes, feet eager to run to evil,
19 a lying witness who gives false testimony, and one who stirs up trouble among brothers."
(HCSB)

When Jesus walked the earth, he showed us that worship that is adulterated with idolatry or man-made traditions is also unacceptable to to his Father. He told us to be "no part of the world" and to love God with every fiber of our being.....and to love our neighbor as ourselves.

Instead of looking for the kind of worship that only suits us....wouldn't it be better to look for the one that most closely resembles the one described for us in the Bible?

It shouldn't be hypocritical as in teaching one thing and then doing the opposite. It should never justify bloodshed. It would never behave immorally or fail to show the same compassion as Jesus did...especially for fellow Christians. (John 13:34-35; 1 John 4:20-21)

Isn't God the one who should determine how he is to be worshipped? I think we should be wanting to please him, rather than wanting him to please us.....when he sees an agreeable heart, he will "draw" that person to his truth. (John 6:44)

What do you think?
1657.gif

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Isn't God the one who should determine how he is to be worshiped? I think we should be wanting to please him, rather than wanting him to please us.....when he sees an agreeable heart, he will "draw" that person to his truth. (John 6:44)

What do you think?
1657.gif
Roast a lamb for him. That sure, pleases him. (Genesis 4:4)

Last edited:

danieldemol

Premium Member
I see. Well, I do believe in a higher power who interacts with us on a daily basis. I think that we can interact with this higher power. I also hold meditation close to my heart. I am unsure on a holy book, whether it really be the word of a God etc. I think communal gathering is important (church basically). I enjoy spiritual music as well. What else do you need to know (I am awful at describing my beliefs lol)

Have you been to a Baha'i temple? It maybe a good starting place for your search.

Electra

Thank you. Do you have any suggestions to "break free" and how to stop having that Christian indentation?

Pleasure.
Remember we are born divine (not in sin) and nothing we can ever do can take that away from us, nothing you (or anyone else) can do is inherently 'wrong' - watch yourself if you judge others or yourself, you do not 'need' to do anything to be 'successful' in this life, the only thing to fear is fear itself, noticing where it is coming from and how you can re wire yourself (the patterns). Notice who you hang around/respect/environments you are in as these help shape you. Do I need others respect? why? (I have all I need) is it affecting my actions?

how can I relax more into this moment?
what am I holding on to?
what do I expect from myself (or other)?
what am I searching for? (I can find this all in myself - with practice)

what in particular is making me feel trapped? Can I find the freedom in my self? Every choice I make is up to me, I can do anything I want to do, unless I give my power away ...

Hope this helps, I am here and open ...

Corvus

Feathered eyeball connoisseur
. I have always felt the need for a higher power, but I never knew which one.
I have never understood this psychological requirement. I guess people wish to feel reassured? My answer is that (theistic) religions are not helpful or useful, they are entirely irrational. The true pursuit of knowledge and understanding lies with empirical evidence, not empty baseless claims posited by mentally unstable/deluded people.