• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HEY CHINA!! UP YOURS!!!

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I don't see their owning real estate in Ameristan as a threat.
The opposite....an attack upon us would gut its value.
well duh

in their country .....only 10% of the land can be farmed
and they buy grain from US every year

guess what they REALLY want

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Tiananmen - remember it.

Xi is a ding-dong, wombat eating, terrorist dictator loser.

Now I feel better.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Is it the entire country of China and its people that upsets you or just the government of China?
The Communist Government and it's like minded supporters, although the term "upset" is your interpretation.

I'm not running around the room in circles with my arms flailing about. ;0)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Money is power. A financial war that left China in better shape than us would be a win for them.
I addressed military conflict. In this case, any property they own
in Ameristan would see a loss upon conversion into "money"....if
they were even allowed to retain ownership.

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
The Communist Government and it's like minded supporters, although the term "upset" is your interpretation.

I'm not running around the room in circles with my arms flailing about. ;0)
I was unaware that upset required such behavior. I certainly wasn't applying anything like that to you in referring to you being upset.

Yerda

Veteran Member
Leave it to Yahoo to wrote a crap article. Like that part where it claims they can arrest anyone in the West. That would require Western cooperation, which China won't get.
I'm not so sure. I think we have reasons to expect that Western countries might be cooperative towards the country that is building its infrastructure and maintaining the supply chains.

amorphous_constellation

Does anyone happen to know a really relevant book on China? Like what is the most important book to read, if I want to understand the Chinese mindset inward and outward?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I'm not so sure. I think we have reasons to expect that Western countries might be cooperative towards the country that is building its infrastructure and maintaining the supply chains.
China wont be able to just arrest a citizem of a Western country, and I doubt any of them grant or even seriously consider extradition.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
This is a big deal, and Beijing does pressure individuals. I recall about certain artists being pressured. There was that guy in Australia making political statements with his art. I can't remember his name. Then there's Shenyun performing arts, and there's a page on how Beijing applies pressure ( here )

Not just individuals. China is by far our largest trading partner, and they've applied pressure at all levels of government from time to time as well.
In case anyone is interested...

Warnings from Chinese consulate prompt Sydney council to ban media company

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
China wont be able to just arrest a citizem of a Western country, and I doubt any of them grant or even seriously consider extradition.

Impacts on the ability of citizens to do business with them. And for some nations it is very hard not to do business with them.
This just provides an additional lever to put governmental pressure on such people. I seriously doubt it will be equitably enforced.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Impacts on the ability of citizens to do business with them. And for some nations it is very hard not to do business with them.
This just provides an additional lever to put governmental pressure on such people. I seriously doubt it will be equitably enforced.
I doubt its enforced at all.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I see it as a threat. albeit of an economic rather than military focus.
Consider the problems of owning real estate....
- It's immobile, so it cannot be removed & taken elsewhere.
- It's subject to local, state, & federal government regulation,
ie, control over what can be done with it.
- It's subject to a lot of taxation. Even if it's unproductive
(ie, unprofitable), there are still real estate taxes.
- If China wages war against us, it can be seized.

Now.....where's China's economic threat?
Obviously, it's not their having property here.
It's that US companies have property in China.