• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HEY CHINA!! UP YOURS!!!

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Consider the problems of owning real estate....
- It's immobile, so it cannot be removed & taken elsewhere.
- It's subject to local, state, & federal government regulation,
ie, control over what can be done with it.
- It's subject to a lot of taxation. Even if it's unproductive
(ie, unprofitable), there are still real estate taxes.
- If China wages war against us, it can be seized.

Now.....where's China's economic threat?
Obviously, it's not their having property here.
It's that US companies have property in China.

It depends on the type of land.
We've had substantial investment here in mining, farming and major infrastructure (ie. airports and ports) which becomes a larger question than 'just' land, and relates directly to control over revenue producing industries.

I agree that Chinese ownership of tenement blocks doesn't seem problematic in isolation.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
English Translation of Article 38

Article 38 This Law shall apply to offences under this Law committed against the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region from outside the Region by a person who is not a permanent resident of the Region.

Hong Kong national security law

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It depends on the type of land.
We've had substantial investment here in mining, farming and major infrastructure (ie. airports and ports) which becomes a larger question than 'just' land, and relates directly to control over revenue producing industries.

I agree that Chinese ownership of tenement blocks doesn't seem problematic in isolation.
All real estate is anchored in place.
If China attacks us, government can just take ownership.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
All real estate is anchored in place.
If China attacks us, government can just take ownership.

Hmm...no need to pursue this further, just flagging that my use of the word 'attack' is very loose and holistic. I don't see any direct military action. More like increasing their ability to place pressure on decisions within the American (or Australian) infrastructure.
We've seen that here in Australia, more because of the importance of Chinese trade to Australia, but they (China) have had a habit of investing in the entire vaue chain of industries, which allows them better leverage in that industry.

From a purely business point of view, it makes given that cashflow is a non-issue.