• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Here we go again: 9 dead, 16 injured in a shooting in Dayton, Ohio

shmogie

You d
It's the gun laws. That's really it.

It's not mental illness, white supremacy, incels, etc. We have all that in Canada, too. The difference is our gun laws.
You do not have a Constitution that makes firearms ownership an unalienable right.

That means that if only one person had a gun, and the remaining 320 million were terrified of him, his right to bear arms cannot be denied.

There are only two ways to change this right. An amendment, or a convention of the states.

An extremely high bar for both.

Prohibition is a classic example of banning. It was a joke.

Black markets for firearms, and illegal importation of them, which exist now, would just expand.

Canada by population is tiny when compared to the US. You stayed with the divine right of kings, and all that means to arbitrary rule. We did not.

Culturally, Canada has been a realm of Anglo Saxons and French folk. This has changed, but in relative history, it has been recently.

Two different legal systems, one evolved from the British system and view, One using English common law, but radically different.

A plus for Canada is that slavery and a civil war were not part of your history, or your culture.

Firearms ownership is woven through the American culture predating 1776 by a century.

Our people have always been free to hunt, shoot targets and defend themselves and their homes.

I firmly believe that firearms are not the issue, and no matter what those bent on evil can get firearms. They may cost more, and take a little effort to find, but they will get them.

The big cities, LA, Chicago, New York, all in states with draconian gun laws, are awash with illegal firearms, and no laws will change this.

Our culture is producing these people, and comparing Canada to us is like comparing a kumquat to a giant grapefruit. Almost 330 million of us. The same paradigms do not exist.

America is a culture that is breaking down in a large number of ways.

In two generations, from one with virtually no gun laws, yet no mass shootings, to today with more firearms restrictions than ever, and multiple mass shootings. You cannot tell me that mass shootings are because of guns, Two generations ago there was easy access to a gun. Three generations ago you could buy them through the mail, no restrictions.

Once again, our society will fail to address the real issues, and foolishly pass more laws that do nothing,. They will focus on the inanimate object that of itself can harm no one. The living animals that uses the firearm to kill, filled with hate, or sick, or filled with political or religious animus or racial animus and the conditions that produced them will be ignored.

An idiots quest, that will do nothing.

A point could be reached where the culture wars, including the fights over gun control, will become a rebellion.

I am on the side that has the guns, being old, if someone props me against a tree, I can still put lead downrange, very accurately.

No one is taking my guns.

Ben Franklin said ¨ we have given you a Republic, if you can keep it ¨. We may not be able to.

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
So called assault weapons were banned once before. Banning them had no effect on the overall murder rate.
But was that ban before the arising of this insane mass shooting business? I can't imagine the founding fathers nor normal firearm enthusiasts ever dreaming that society could become that crazy. I really don't think that those guns would ever be sold if anyone had a glimpse of the future and how those particular guns would be used by the insane.