• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Here is one solution. Make a new amendment

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Then take it up with experts, they are the ones saying it is evident.

I am only referring to basic morals as rooted in biology and evolution, not abstract morals that most of us refer to in human behavior and philosophy.

No, they are not. They are saying that you can explain morality using science, but you can't do morality using science.
That you can objectively explain something, doesn't make that something objective.

esmith

Veteran Member
How many gun deaths would there be in Chicago if gun laws were more strict in who legally got guns, and laws to ensure owners were more responsible in securing their weapons? It's easy to get black market guns because guns are so prevalent. It's a supply issue
Illinois has some of the most restrictive firearm laws in the country. What would you add to their laws.
Gun Laws in Chicago - Feldman Criminal Defense
  1. The waiting period to purchase a rifle has been increased from 24 hours to 72 hours between the time you purchased the gun and when you could take possession of it.
  2. Gun owners are required to obtain a Firearm Owner’s Identification Card (FOID) which must be renewed in a process that can be quite lengthy. The 2019 amendment ensures that an expired FOID card will remain valid as long as the renewal application was submitted prior to expiration – this prevent gun owners from being charged with unlawful use of a firearm while waiting to receive their new FOID card in the mail.
  3. The Firearms Restraining Order Act was signed into law in July 2018 and went into effect January 1, 2019. This law allows Courts to issue a 6-month Emergency Order of Protection that can be processed and issued the same day, enabling the Court to temporarily revoke an alleged dangerous person’s FOID card and firearms on an emergency basis.
While these are the three major changes affecting Chicago gun laws in 2019, there are a few minor amendments as well. For example, Illinois hospitals will be required to report involuntary psychiatric admissions to State officials who may then revoke an FOID card. Prior to 2019, individuals could petition the Court for an Order of Protection involving an FOID card and firearm. In 2019, that right was extended to hospitals and places of worship.

In addition: Gun laws in Illinois - Wikipedia

Edited added
How about a law that says if you are covicted of murder in the first degree, and a firearm is used it is an automatic death penalty with no appeal
How about if a murder in the second degree and a firearm is used it is an automatic life sentence with no parole
How about if a murder in the third degree and a firearm is used it is an automatic 50 year sentence with no parole
How about a law that states if a crime is commited, no lives take, and a firearm is used in the commision of the crime it is an automatic 20 year sentence with no parole

Last edited:

F1fan

Veteran Member
Illinois has some of the most restrictive firearm laws in the country. What would you add to their laws.
  1. The waiting period to purchase a rifle has been increased from 24 hours to 72 hours between the time you purchased the gun and when you could take possession of it.
  2. Gun owners are required to obtain a Firearm Owner’s Identification Card (FOID) which must be renewed in a process that can be quite lengthy. The 2019 amendment ensures that an expired FOID card will remain valid as long as the renewal application was submitted prior to expiration – this prevent gun owners from being charged with unlawful use of a firearm while waiting to receive their new FOID card in the mail.
  3. The Firearms Restraining Order Act was signed into law in July 2018 and went into effect January 1, 2019. This law allows Courts to issue a 6-month Emergency Order of Protection that can be processed and issued the same day, enabling the Court to temporarily revoke an alleged dangerous person’s FOID card and firearms on an emergency basis.
While these are the three major changes affecting Chicago gun laws in 2019, there are a few minor amendments as well. For example, Illinois hospitals will be required to report involuntary psychiatric admissions to State officials who may then revoke an FOID card. Prior to 2019, individuals could petition the Court for an Order of Protection involving an FOID card and firearm. In 2019, that right was extended to hospitals and places of worship.

Edited added
How about a law that says if you are covicted of murder in the first degree, and a firearm is used it is an automatic death penalty with no appeal
How about if a murder in the second degree and a firearm is used it is an automatic life sentence with no parole
How about if a murder in the third degree and a firearm is used it is an automatic 50 year sentence with no parole
How about a law that states if a crime is commited, no lives take, and a firearm is used in the commision of the crime it is an automatic 20 year sentence with no parole

Whatever a state does as far as laws like this are irrelevant to criminals who can drive across state borders and get the guns they want. We can't blame a state or city for trying it's best to help protect the public but other states will allow easy gin access and essentially invalidates any measure a neighboring state does.

What's interesting is not what Illinios has doen, but what other states have NOT done that still affects illinois. The lax gun laws shows we need more federal laws to limit and regulate gun ownership so irresponsible red states don't contribute to violent threats along with criminals.

So conservatives and their lax attitude about guns in American society are the suppliers to criminals. And conservatives are not moral, and don't care, because the best they can offer as a solution is to arm more average citizens so in case a gun fight does erupt at church or shopping for strawberries they can pull a gun and fight as if it is a war zone, not a stable and safe society.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

Edited added

Let us be serious and use some science and your love of hard sentences.

What is the profile of a mass shooter?
Low grade violence and/or low grade crime and/or certain mental disorders. If you do that/have that, you can't have a gun ever. If then caught with a weapon, life without parole.

If you made a federal law doing that, you could properly get some Democrats on board and some Republicans.
You can then add your suggestions, but you have to give the Democrats something.

esmith

Veteran Member
Whatever a state does as far as laws like this are irrelevant to criminals who can drive across state borders and get the guns they want. We can't blame a state or city for trying it's best to help protect the public but other states will allow easy gin access and essentially invalidates any measure a neighboring state does.

What's interesting is not what Illinios has doen, but what other states have NOT done that still affects illinois. The lax gun laws shows we need more federal laws to limit and regulate gun ownership so irresponsible red states don't contribute to violent threats along with criminals.

So conservatives and their lax attitude about guns in American society are the suppliers to criminals. And conservatives are not moral, and don't care, because the best they can offer as a solution is to arm more average citizens so in case a gun fight does erupt at church or shopping for strawberries they can pull a gun and fight as if it is a war zone, not a stable and safe society.
Unfortunantly you haven't read U.S. Federal firearm laws.
Do you think a resident of one state can legally sell a firearm to a nonresident without going through a Federal Firearms Licensee?

esmith

Veteran Member

Low grade violence and/or low grade crime and/or certain mental disorders. If you do that/have that, you can't have a gun ever. If then caught with a weapon, life without parole.

If you made a federal law doing that, you could properly get some Democrats on board and some Republicans.
You can then add your suggestions, but you have to give the Democrats something.
You obviously have no idea what you are talking about given the above highlighted statement

F1fan

Veteran Member
Unfortunantly you haven't read U.S. Federal firearm laws.
Do you think a resident of one state can legally sell a firearm to a nonresident without going through a Federal Firearms Licensee?
It happens all the time. I've sold guns to total strangers as a citizen. I didn't ask for ID. It's not required. I'm not aware of it being illegal in any states. But if it were the guns won't be in a situation of being traced and tracked until they are used in a crime. One of the hand guns I sold when I was a dealer ended up being sold numerous times and was used in a robbery. The guy got caught, the cops came to me the track the chain of custody of the gun. Those who sell a private gun to a person they don't know is a criminal have plausible deniability. And good luck finding all the people who owned the gun before it was used in a crime. All private gun sales should go though dealers, IMO. But will people obey that law? Who knows.

esmith

Veteran Member
It happens all the time. I've sold guns to total strangers as a citizen. I didn't ask for ID. It's not required. I'm not aware of it being illegal in any states. But if it were the guns won't be in a situation of being traced and tracked until they are used in a crime. One of the hand guns I sold when I was a dealer ended up being sold numerous times and was used in a robbery. The guy got caught, the cops came to me the track the chain of custody of the gun. Those who sell a private gun to a person they don't know is a criminal have plausible deniability. And good luck finding all the people who owned the gun before it was used in a crime. All private gun sales should go though dealers, IMO. But will people obey that law? Who knows.
Yes, some states allow a non-licensee to sell a firearm to a non-resident
See: Private Gun Sale Laws by State - FindLaw
However,.
May a licensee sell a firearm to a nonlicensee who is a resident of another state?
Generally, a firearm may not lawfully be sold by a licensee to a nonlicensee who resides in a state other than the state in which the seller’s licensed premises is located. However, the sale may be made if the firearm is shipped to a licensee whose business is in the purchaser’s state of residence and the purchaser takes delivery of the firearm from the licensee in his or her state of residence.

In addition, a licensee may sell a rifle or shotgun to a person who is not a resident of the state where the licensee’s business premises is located in an over–the–counter transaction, provided the transaction complies with state law in the state where the licensee is located and in the state where the purchaser resides.

[18 U.S.C. 922(b)(3); 27 CFR 478.99(a)]

esmith

Veteran Member
Then explain it.
Forgot to highlight what I was referencing.....so

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I can't since I don't understand what you are inferring

Here is your highlight of my post "f you do that/have that, you can't have a gun ever. If then caught with a weapon, life without parole." and here is your comment about it: "You obviously have no idea what you are talking about given the above highlighted statement."

So what is it that you know that I have no idea about?

esmith

Veteran Member
Here is your highlight of my post "f you do that/have that, you can't have a gun ever. If then caught with a weapon, life without parole." and here is your comment about it: "You obviously have no idea what you are talking about given the above highlighted statement."

So what is it that you know that I have no idea about?
Ok, let me get this straight
Are you saying if you have ever had low grade violence and/or low grade crime and/or certain mental disorders you should never be allowed to have a firearm and if you do and are found with one you will be sentenced to prision for life without parole?

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
Yes Jesus was a gun nut that advocated arming everyone, including the nut jobs, when he returns, he and his angels will be carrying AR 15s, the Lords weapon

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Ok, let me get this straight
Are you saying if you have ever had low grade violence and/or low grade crime and/or certain mental disorders you should never be allowed to have a firearm and if you do and are found with one you will be sentenced to prision for life without parole?

Yes, for certain kinds of crimes or mental disorders, yes. And yes, life without parole if caught with certain weapons.
But in general for low grade, you could have 3 strikes and you are out.

E.g. the right to vote is not absolute. Neither was the 2nd prior to 2008.

esmith

Veteran Member
Yes, for certain kinds of crimes or mental disorders, yes. And yes, life without parole if caught with certain weapons.
But in general for low grade, you could have 3 strikes and you are out.

E.g. the right to vote is not absolute. Neither was the 2nd prior to 2008.
IMO, you are going considerably of the tracks.
IMO, the 2nd has been and will always be absolute until our Constitution is amended.