• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Here is one solution. Make a new amendment

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

Get them young and train them well and you will have good humans with a gun. What could go wrong?

Well, in earnest that is how to start preparing them for a well regulated militia. You militarize civil society, so everybody can kill everybody else in a well trained manner.
And yes, it is a Poe and yet, it is also a truth.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
When I was in school we did have the option of recieving firearms training...
The incidents of "mass shootings' was nil or next to none until the late 60's.

Wonder what went wrong?

Well, as far as I can tell, it is not just one factor but several. But the different explanations are never the same and the solutions are neither the same.
But at the base you as country have a base set of values and different interpretations, which combined to get you where you are. But that is politics and that is a part of the base sets of and different interpretations, which combined to get you where you are. See the problem now?

Not that you are wrong or any of that. Just that it is not that easy to fix, because you have to fix yourselves. I hope you can do it. :)

esmith

Veteran Member
Well, as far as I can tell, it is not just one factor but several. But the different explanations are never the same and the solutions are neither the same.
But at the base you as country have a base set of values and different interpretations, which combined to get you where you are. But that is politics and that is a part of the base sets of and different interpretations, which combined to get you where you are. See the problem now?

Not that you are wrong or any of that. Just that it is not that easy to fix, because you have to fix yourselves. I hope you can do it. :)
So you are saying the problem isn't firearms. Glad to see you finally figured it out.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Get them young and train them well and you will have good humans with a gun. What could go wrong?

Well, in earnest that is how to start preparing them for a well regulated militia. You militarize civil society, so everybody can kill everybody else in a well trained manner.
Well there were rifle clubs, and ROTC.

Nothing went wrong.

Simply because past generations were not so psychotic and immature as recent generations, whom by actions alone, have proven time and time again that they cannot be trusted in society as mature and reasonable people anymore with few exceptions with the care and handling of firearms.

esmith

Veteran Member
There were next to none assault rifles on the market in the 60s, duh!! The more assault rifles being sold, the more school shootings
First let me ask you a question. What class of firearms, used by civilians is, responsible for the most deaths.....not counting the military?
No, we had semi-automatic rifles, and shotguns.
But we settled our arguments with our fist.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Well there were rifle clubs, and ROTC.

Nothing went wrong.

Simply because past generations were not so psychotic and immature as recent generations, whom by actions alone, have proven time and time again that they cannot be trusted in society as mature and reasonable people anymore with few exceptions with the care and handling of firearms.

Single factor explanation. It might be to simple. Further what is your degree in psychiatry? I am serious!!!

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Well, yeah, back in the day, that's what Physical Education classes were for - to prepare children for military service. My gym teacher back in junior high used to be an Army drill instructor, and that's how he ran his P.E. classes.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Single factor explanation. It might be to simple. Further what is your degree in psychiatry? I am serious!!!
You need a degree to see the truth of the matter?

I lived in those days first hand. Don't need any upstart to tell me what's what.

I'm serious as well on that front.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
what has changed in society since the 1960's that accounts for all of the firearm deaths?

Technology, the distribution of wealth and maybe the narrative of success. Consumerism might also be a factor. How politics are done also springs to mind. The dynamic between subcultures.
That is properly not even enough.

suncowiam

Wonder what went wrong?

According to your wikipedia link, mass shootings existed since the 1920s or at least when records were available. What also changed is the size of population and advancement in guns. Both could very well correlate to the increase in gun crimes if guns are assumed to be normalized throughout the times.

This older pro-gun generation keeps on looking back during their youth and claims it was working.

Uhm, the data you just showed shows it still wasn't working back then. In fact, we had some of the worst cases in the 1920s with hundreds of people being murdered in single incidents.

Thanks for this. The next time I hear about how it was "working in their youth" then I will counter argue with the exact info you gave us.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
"The United States has had the most mass shootings of any country.

In one 2017 study published in Time magazine by criminologist Adam Lankford, it was estimated that 31% of public mass shootings occur in the US, although it has only 5% of the world's population. The study concludes that "The United States and other nations with high firearm ownership rates may be particularly susceptible to future public mass shootings, even if they are relatively peaceful or mentally healthy according to other national indicators." "

- Mass shooting - Wikipedia

"The United States, with less than 5 percent of the world’s population, has 46 percent of the world’s civilian-owned guns, according to a 2018 report by the Switzerland-based Small Arms Survey. It ranks number one in firearms per capita. The United States also has the highest homicide-by-firearm rate of the world’s most-developed nations."

- U.S. Gun Policy: Global Comparisons

"The United States has the world’s highest rate of gun ownership by civilians. Estimates suggest that there are more than 12 firearms for every ten civilians in the country, making U.S. gun ownership per capita more than double that of the country with the second-highest per capita rate—Yemen (according to a 2018 Small Arms Survey analysis of more than 200 countries). The United States also has high rates of violence. According to a 2016 study by Erin Grinshteyn and David Hemenway, homicide rates are six times higher in the United States than in most other developed countries, and firearm homicides account for much of this difference."

- U.S. Gun Policy in a Global Context

....but I don't imagine there'll be any permanent significant change in the law or the god-given constitution.

MikeF

Premium Member
what has changed in society since the 1960's that accounts for all of the firearm deaths?
Movies and video games that immerse young minds in just this sort of carnage.
The decline in influence of physical community and rise of internet community where aberrant and anti-social behaviours can be encouraged and reinforced.

We Never Know

No Slack

Wonder what went wrong?

Not to mention....currently...

"As of 2018, there are reportedly more than 2,000 high-school rifle programs across the United States.[1] In 2015, 9,245 students in 317 schools across three states participated in the USA High School Clay Target League. In 2018, participation had increased 138% with 21,917 students from 804 teams in 20 states."

High school gun clubs and teams in the United States - Wikipedia

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
You need a degree to see the truth of the matter?

I lived in those days first hand. Don't need any upstart to tell me what's what.

I'm serious as well on that front.

Technology, the distribution of wealth and maybe the narrative of success. Consumerism might also be a factor. How politics are done also springs to mind. The dynamic between subcultures.
That is properly not even enough.

Movies and video games that immerse young minds in just this sort of carnage.
The decline in influence of physical community and rise of internet community where aberrant and anti-social behaviours can be encouraged and reinforced.

A couple of things to point out here is that the violent crime rate today is actually lower than it was 40-50 years ago. So, at least in terms of crime statistics, we were actually a lot worse back in those days than can be said about today's youth.

Also, it's not always young people who commit mass shootings. Many of them have been committed by older folks as well.

But I would also suggest that it was because of massive increases in crime during the 1970s, 80s, and early 90s also had a huge effect on the way people looked at their society and culture. Movies like "Death Wish" became popular. Or Robert Deniro in Taxi Driver. TV shows like "Cops" were also instrumental in stoking a general sense of fear in society. I'm not saying that TV is the cause of it, but more a symptom and a reflection of the attitudes in society at the time.

However, it also relates to a more cold-blooded and callous aspect of our culture which became more intensified during the Reagan-dominated, cocaine-fueled 1980s - a period which somehow irrevocably damaged America beyond repair. George Carlin put it succinctly when he said "they went from 'All You Need Is Love' to 'He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins.'" The leadership and upper classes of this country don't really care about human life, as demonstrated by their actions and policies. What sort of message does that send to America's youth? That human life doesn't really matter.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

If you can get it in the Constitution. :shrug:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Social Media.
As the number of mass shooting and acts of violence increase nationwide, researchers have set out to
determine the specific underlying cause. This study explored a pattern between two variables: the spread
of mass shooting news on social media platforms, and the increase in these crimes. This study analyzed
and compared media activity from mass shootings at Columbine, Virginia Tech, and Parkland. These school
shootings occurred in three separate media eras, and data from a mass shooting archive was used to examine
the frequency of incidents over time. Evidence showed increased social media usage aligned with increased
numbers of mass shootings.
https://eloncdn.blob.core.windows.net/eu3/sites/153/2018/12/03-Lee.pdf

Things that trend.