• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Helplessness

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
First, this is going to be a very long OP, so don't start reading unless you're in the right mood. This is basically just a regular personal story, that happens to many people and that i'm sharing primarily to release negative energy, and secondary to get advice from anyone interested in sharing any.

My parents are both Muslims, were raised to be Muslims, almost everybody around them is Muslim and they raised both me and my sister to be so as well, similarly to what most people do with their kids. As my title indicates, this has at some point stopped being the case. When that happened, my parents didn't make a disaster out of it, but were shocked, and, for the most part, have been handling this in part with hope and in part with denial.

The reason i'm making this thread is because i'm realizing more and more, as time goes by, that this is causing them immense psychological suffering. They are not really strict religious people, but they are traditional people. They've always felt that i was out there, but were able to handle that for the most part. As while they feared what they perceived to be the consequences of my actions, they could also take shelter in the idea that i seemed to take religion very seriously (which i did), and they enjoyed what they thought (and hoped) would be entailed by that in my future, and, according to their beliefs, in the afterlife.

Now, there's nothing left for them to take shelter in. They fear for me in life, and more importantly, for their idea of the afterlife. Heaven and hell for people like them is a given, as it was once for me. In addition to the fact that they're both over 50 years old, which means that the idea is much more engraved, basic, fundamental and elementary for them. It's non-negotiable, a world without that is literally unfathomable to them. When i used to talk to them about this stuff, and say things like "Let's imagine if the Quran was wrong" for example, their reply would be like "What do you mean if it was wrong? Why would i imagine that?", "I don't need to imagine the impossible", "Don't talk to me about absurdities" and so forth, you get the idea.

The final aspect to put in mind, which is equally if not more important than the above, is that, like many people, they're not happy in their lives. Each in a different way, but both are. Very unhappy. They're not a good match for each other, neither achieved the things they were hoping for, so far, and are generally miserable. So, like many people, they were counting on me and my sister. They've given up on their lives, and dedicated themselves to us, and were hoping to get the fulfillment they never got from their own lives from watching us become everything they think is wonderful. When i told them about my change of beliefs, i imagine how they felt, and came to learn how it was later on. There's this moment when you realize a disaster has happened, something really bad, and feel a shrill in your spine.

Thinking about what this entailed for me, in addition to the fact that this was directly related to their perceived success in life, as i explained, must have been real heavy. From then on, they're suffering because they think after they die, they will never see me again, and that when i die, i'll be suffering in hell. I don't know which is worse for them, but understand that this is not just something they think is going to happen, they're more like certain that it is going to happen.

I tried reasoning with them, comforting them that even if i was wrong, their idea of a just god wouldn't throw me in hell etc... saying anything i can to find something to comfort them with, and of course, it's not working. I've tried pretending like i was still in part Muslim, to give them hope, and i still do, but it makes me sick. I hate lying to people i care about, especially in such extremely important matters, and as such my act is pretty lousy. I literally feel sick doing it, and i don't think it's enough to help their denial do the job (and even if it did work, i would still feel horrible about the situation, and feel that i'm robbing them of something). Of course, i don't even consider the option of trying to change their worldview, and i think you can understand why without me explaining.

That's basically it. Like i said in the beginning, my primary reason for making this thread is to feel better, so don't feel obligated to say anything. Your thoughts are more than welcome of course, but don't feel in anyway obligated.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
It is inconceivable to me that Islam could have attained its current success without embodying enormous value. Perhaps a focus on a renewed (if nuanced) understanding and embrace of that value could benefit both you and your parents. As for "the Big Question", I think we all suffer from too much certainty, and the difference between
  • I do not accept Islam, and
  • I am not yet free of serious questions
is perhaps far less than one might think.

Sincerely: salaam to you and your parents.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Wow, what a difficult situation.

I fear I have no true insights to share. I can only hope that you manage to understand their perspective well enough to learn ways of easing their fears, but I have no idea whether that is even realistically possible.

At some point, you will probably have to accept that all of you are simply not capable of overcoming certain parameters and therefore the optimal solution is to accept those parameters and adjust communications and expectations accordingly.

What those parameters would be, and what kind of contact they should dictate, I can only guess at (and there is not much point in attempting to). My gut feeling is that you should consider emphasizing the search for more of a personal space of your own - painful as it is probably going to be. To attempt to convince people to accept things they do not want to is pretty close to the very definition of being miserable.

Me Myself

Back to my username
I am sorry you have to go through that. It is painful to see loved ones suffer, and suffer because of you, and I can understand the feeling that lying to someone is the same as robbing them, specially when it is someone so close and when it is about someing so real and important.

Dont behead me, but may God be with you in this difficult situation :eek: (take it as a "best wishes" that I more strongly express that way)

Seriously, my greatest love and respect for you and your family.

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I just offer support and hugs. I can completely relate to your issue, only mine involves a religiously devoted husband (but open-minded), and in-laws. It's a tough spot to be in.

Amechania

Daimona of the Helpless
You seem to have an otherwise good relationship with your parents. For what its worth focus on your love for them. Let them know that while you do not share their faith you respect their beliefs. Remind them that your desire to pursue your own spiritual path is not a rejection of them or their way of life, but a tribute to their own loving kindness in nurturing your inquisitive nature. Tell them that no one knows what tomorrow will bring. All that matters is today and the love for them that fills your heart is greater than sin or death. It is holy.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
My initial reaction, Badran is perhaps it is best to just let things be. Neither support or "offend" your parents sensitivities. Just smile and say nothing. Let this deep psychological wound heal. The problem, as you well understand, is that your parents cannot understand what you are going through and so words, attempting to describe it to them, are going to be like drops of acid thrown in their faces. You may as well speak to them in Chinese because you are describing ideas that are alien to their worldview.

I guess it all boils down to what kind of a relationship you want with you parents. Internally, I would tend to treat them as living lessons on why you left Islam because of the effect it can have on people in very real, negative and unpleasant ways.

Perhaps you need to see them a bit less often. Don't just announce it, but rather, just make it happen. You can use the concept of "insha'allah" to your own advantage.

Last edited:

Alceste

Vagabond
You can't take responsibility for the feelings of others. Even your parents.

I don't even like living in the same city as my parents. There's nothing wrong with them really, apart from my dad being incredibly awkward and mentally ill and my mom perpetually looking heart broken cuz I haven't given her any grand children and nagging me about it.

Gah. Just thinking about parents and their feelings stresses me out. I don't really have any suggestions, but I sure can relate to the feeling of wanting your parents to stop freaking worrying about you already and get their own heads screwed on a little tighter.

Other cities are a perfect place for you to have peace of mind and be yourself. Heck, I've even tried other countries! Your parents don't worry so much when they don't see you very often, and if your also don't talk very often you can make sure they're only getting the good news so they'll worry even less.

Although for my mother nothing short of a baby shower invitation would really count as good news any more.

Me Myself

Back to my username
You can't take responsibility for the feelings of others.

Almighty agreed there.

You can't take responsibility for the feelings of others.

Its normal you feel bad, but it is how it is. You just cant take responsibility for it.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Thanks for sharing. I'm not going to offer any advice, really. You're smart enough to know there's no simple answer, and given that it's your empathy causing you to feel bad about the situation, it's not like you need to consider it more.

Instead, I used your post to reflect on my own situation. My parents are Christian (in my Dad's case, barely, my Mum a little moreso) and they certainly wouldn't choose for me to be atheist. But I am lucky that they respected completely my right to decide for myself (in this at least...lol)

I have friends who have not been so lucky.
Would it help if you could still talk about Islam with them? I can hold a conversation with a Christian about biblical concepts, and discuss them with the assumption the bible is true. (not lie to them...they know I'm an atheist. I just mean, discuss biblical concepts in a secular fashion).

Jefferson even created a bible in which he removed the references to the miracles...

Is there any capacity to do that with Islam? I think this might be similar in nature (but perhaps not scope) to what Jayhawker Soule mentioned earlier.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Ah, yeah. This is tough, Badran. :hugehug:

I look at it this way. You obviously love and respect your parents. Your parents obviously love and respect you. Family cohesion runs strong from generation to generation, and it's part of the identity of the family as a whole. You are finding an individual identity that doesn't fit in the framework of "what is" in regards to the family identity, and conflict logically occurs following that realization.

It's embroiled in what perspective trumps the other. Individual or group? Self or tribe? God or Not-God? These really look to be competing interests that are mutually exclusive and non-negotiable.

I'm horrible with giving advice, but I'm going to do it anyway. Some of the good people here at RF have alluded to it, but I'll add in that acceptance is what will drive peace and reconciliation. What your parents will feel are going to be what your parents will feel. I can tell that your upbringing has given you the notion that you carry some responsibility for the feelings of other family members (it's that tribe tradition you grew up in, you haven't completely divorced yourself from it yet, and that's okay). You're still wanting to bring happiness to your parents, to ease their worries. They're still wanting to protect you from an eternity of pain and suffering. Both parties will not accept any pain and suffering in the other and wants to lessen that burden.

At least that's how I see it. I could be wrong.

Acceptance and allowance for others to have the worldview they have - including the emotions and assumptions that go with that - go a long way toward reconciliation. It sounds counter-productive, but giving them space and loving them from that space is the beginning of peace.

Good luck. Love you bunches, B. :hugehug: