• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hello.

DavyCrocket2003

Hi everyone.
I am not a Muslim. I respect Islam a great deal. I admire the prophet Muhammad. I mostly agree with the Koran. I have a great deal of concern though. I am worried that Muslims and Non-Muslims are having a very difficult time engaging in constructive dialogue. Everything turns into us versus them. People begin insulting each other calling names etc... I am very saddened by this effect. I want people to understand each other, not get in fights. So I was wondering, what advice can you guys give me? What can we (non-Muslims) do better to get along? Can you give me your perspective on why we can't get along better? What are the obstacles to holding sincere, constructive debate and conversation?

Cordoba

Hello Davy and thank you for your post

There are no obstacles (imo) to a sincere and constructive dialogue between Muslims and non-Muslims if that intention exists on both sides

Islam encourages Muslims to get to know people of other faiths and to dialogue with them

Strangely enough, the Qur'anic verse I was about to post on the Qur'an thread in a moment says the following:

[FONT=Arial,Geneva,Verdana,Sans-Serif]O mankind, indeed We have created you from male and female and made you peoples and tribes that you may know one another. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Geneva,Verdana,Sans-Serif]Indeed, the most noble of you in the sight of Allah is the most righteous of you. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Geneva,Verdana,Sans-Serif]Indeed, Allah is Knowing and Acquainted[/FONT]

(49:13)

http://www.islambasics.com/view.php?bkID=120&chapter=49

One of the problems found in inter-faiths dialogues is bias due to negative stereotypes and pre-conceived ideas about others, and the cure to this problem is actually in engaging with others and learning their point of view for better understanding

Finding common grounds for starting a constructive dialogue is also very important, rather than negative dialogues where people are attacked because of what they see on the news

Insults and name calling never help, and good dialogue ethics are important

Concerning common grounds, this is a Muslim initiative launched in 2007 titled (A Common Word Between Us and You), which may be of interest

The Official Website of A Common Word

Looking forward to more constructive dialogues, and thank you once again for your initiative

Peace and all the best

DavyCrocket2003

Thank you for your response Cordoba. I really appreciate it. A Common Word expresses beautifully exactly how I feel. Islam and Christianity are so near to the same thing. We all worship God(Allah). We all seek to do his will. We all want to live better lives and treat people well. I wish more people could see this. Thank you for your care and for your good example.

Zhakir

Peace&Tolerance
Yes ,the message of jesus and muhammad is generally the same message.
because they are both messngers of god.
for jesus.....Quran 61:6
And remember, Jesus, the son of Mary, said: "O Children of Israel! I am the messenger of Allah (sent) to you, confirming the Law (whichcame) before me, and giving Glad Tidings of a Messenger to come after me,whose name shall be Ahmad." But when he came to them with Clear Signs, theysaid, "this is evident sorcery!"
bible (Matthew 15:24). "I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel" .

for Muhammad....Quran 7:158
Say: "O men! I am sent unto you all, as the Messenger of Allah, to Whom belongeth the dominion of the heavens and the earth: there is no godbut He: it is He That giveth both life and death. So believe in Allah and HisMessenger, the Unlettered Prophet, who believeth in Allah and His words: followhim that (so) ye may be guided."

in bible in so many verses open it, or search in the web "muhammad in the bible"

quran also says in 3:64
Say: "O People of the Book! come to common terms as between us and you: That we worship none but Allah; that we associate no partners withhim; that we erect not, from among ourselves, Lords and patrons other thanAllah." If then they turn back, say ye: "Bear witness that we (at least) areMuslims (bowing to Allah's Will).

As we can see both are messngers of god,but brother davy it's clear that this above, and few teachings, and the noun "religion" are the only things which bond what's now called christianity and islam. Quran and bible run in exactlly oppisit two roads,and contradict each other. and i will give examples.
So i ask you brother to understand this:
if both bible and quran claim to be sent by the same source "god", and at the same time they contradict each other,then simpley one them is god's word and the other isn't.
Quran
2:75
Can ye (o ye men of Faith) entertain the hope that they will believe in you?- Seeing that a party of them heard the Word of Allah, andperverted it knowingly after they understood it.
2:79
Then woe to those who write the Book with their own hands, and then say:"This is from Allah," to traffic with it for miserable price!- Woeto them for what their hands do write, and for the gain they make thereby.
5:13
But because of their breach of their covenant, We cursed them, and made their hearts grow hard; they change the words from their (right)places and forget a good part of the message that was sent them, nor wiltthou cease to find them- barring a few - ever bent on (new) deceits: butforgive them, and overlook (their misdeeds): for Allah loveth those who arekind.
5:41
O Messenger! let not those grieve thee, who race each other into unbelief: (whether it be) among those who say "We believe" with their lipsbut whose hearts have no faith; or it be among the Jews,- men who willlisten to any lie,- will listen even to others who have never so much ascome to thee. They change the words from their (right) times and places:they say, "If ye are given this, take it, but if not, beware!" If any one'strial is intended by Allah, thou hast no authority in the least for himagainst Allah. For such - it is not Allah's will to purify their hearts. Forthem there is disgrace in this world, and in the Hereafter a heavypunishment.

do agree to this logic brother davy ? and every body?

Last edited:

DavyCrocket2003

Yes ,the message of jesus and muhammad is generally the same message.
because they are both messngers of god.
for jesus.....Quran 61:6
And remember, Jesus, the son of Mary, said: "O Children of Israel! I am the messenger of Allah (sent) to you, confirming the Law (whichcame) before me, and giving Glad Tidings of a Messenger to come after me,whose name shall be Ahmad." But when he came to them with Clear Signs, theysaid, "this is evident sorcery!"
bible (Matthew 15:24). "I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel" .

for Muhammad....Quran 7:158
Say: "O men! I am sent unto you all, as the Messenger of Allah, to Whom belongeth the dominion of the heavens and the earth: there is no godbut He: it is He That giveth both life and death. So believe in Allah and HisMessenger, the Unlettered Prophet, who believeth in Allah and His words: followhim that (so) ye may be guided."

in bible in so many verses open it, or search in the web "muhammad in the bible"

quran also says in 3:64
Say: "O People of the Book! come to common terms as between us and you: That we worship none but Allah; that we associate no partners withhim; that we erect not, from among ourselves, Lords and patrons other thanAllah." If then they turn back, say ye: "Bear witness that we (at least) areMuslims (bowing to Allah's Will).

As we can see both are messngers of god,but brother davy it's clear that this above, and few teachings, and the noun "religion" are the only things which bond what's now called christianity and islam. Quran and bible run in exactlly oppisit two roads,and contradict each other. and i will give examples.
So i ask you brother to understand this:
if both bible and quran claim to be sent by the same source "god", and at the same time they contradict each other,then simpley one them is god's word and the other isn't.
Quran
2:75
Can ye (o ye men of Faith) entertain the hope that they will believe in you?- Seeing that a party of them heard the Word of Allah, andperverted it knowingly after they understood it.
2:79
Then woe to those who write the Book with their own hands, and then say:"This is from Allah," to traffic with it for miserable price!- Woeto them for what their hands do write, and for the gain they make thereby.
5:13
But because of their breach of their covenant, We cursed them, and made their hearts grow hard; they change the words from their (right)places and forget a good part of the message that was sent them, nor wiltthou cease to find them- barring a few - ever bent on (new) deceits: butforgive them, and overlook (their misdeeds): for Allah loveth those who arekind.
5:41
O Messenger! let not those grieve thee, who race each other into unbelief: (whether it be) among those who say "We believe" with their lipsbut whose hearts have no faith; or it be among the Jews,- men who willlisten to any lie,- will listen even to others who have never so much ascome to thee. They change the words from their (right) times and places:they say, "If ye are given this, take it, but if not, beware!" If any one'strial is intended by Allah, thou hast no authority in the least for himagainst Allah. For such - it is not Allah's will to purify their hearts. Forthem there is disgrace in this world, and in the Hereafter a heavypunishment.

do agree to this logic brother davy ? and every body?

Yes. I think that what you have quoted is perfectly sound. I would even say that it is very expressive of my own beliefs. Particularly this part here:
they change the words from their (right)places and forget a good part of the message that was sent them
However, this does not mean they lost all of the message. I think a good portion still remains.

I would not agree with the idea that Christianity and Islam are very different from each other though. While they have differing views of who Jesus Christ actually is, their messages are nearly the same. If I worship the Creator of the Earth, what does it matter if I call him God or Allah? Isn't it a good thing that I worship him? I am glad that Islam teaches submission to Allah. It is what my religion teaches as well. We only call him different things.:)

Last edited:

Zhakir

Peace&Tolerance
How do you get to know this "good portion" and say this from allah and that's been written by people ,if you use your own desire,then-i think-you'll be as an editor.because Allah's word and people's can exist in one verse. The only to check is to mach it with quran the last testment of all mighty Allah.

I would not agree with the idea that Christianity and Islam are very different from each other though. While they have differing views of who Jesus Christ actually is, their messages are nearly the same. If I worship the Creator of the Earth, what does it matter if I call him God or Allah? Isn't it a good thing that I worship him? I am glad that Islam teaches submission to Allah. It is what my religion teaches as well. We only call him different things.:)
Bible and Quran are not from the same source (god). Please read this one example out of 100's avilable.
http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/islam/78996-who-he-2.html

DavyCrocket2003

How do you get to know this "good portion" and say this from allah and that's been written by people ,if you use your own desire,then-i think-you'll be as an editor.because Allah's word and people's can exist in one verse. The only to check is to mach it with quran the last testment of all mighty Allah.

Bible and Quran are not from the same source (god). Please read this one example out of 100's avilable.
http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/islam/78996-who-he-2.html

I was just looking at that thread actually. "How do you get to know this good portion?" Well, if you read the Bible as a whole, you can judge what it's central themes are. These themes are: Love and obey God. Love and care for others. It actually makes a lot of sense as a whole. Especially considering the countless translations and transcriptions made of it. But do you know what the best way to know what is the truth? I will quote from the Bible if I may:
"If any of ye lack wisdom, let him ask of God(Allah) that giveth to all men liberally and upbraideth not and it shall be given him." This means that we can ask God to help us know what is right and given of him and what is not. After all, he does love us and wants to help us find truth. And he is certainly capable and willing to guide us.

neves

I was just looking at that thread actually. "How do you get to know this good portion?" Well, if you read the Bible as a whole, you can judge what it's central themes are. These themes are: Love and obey God. Love and care for others. It actually makes a lot of sense as a whole. Especially considering the countless translations and transcriptions made of it. But do you know what the best way to know what is the truth? I will quote from the Bible if I may:
"If any of ye lack wisdom, let him ask of God(Allah) that giveth to all men liberally and upbraideth not and it shall be given him." This means that we can ask God to help us know what is right and given of him and what is not. After all, he does love us and wants to help us find truth. And he is certainly capable and willing to guide us.

That is a great quote from the bible and I don't think any Muslim will argue you on it...

Zhakir

Peace&Tolerance
Well, if you read the Bible as a whole, you can judge what it's central themes are. These themes are: Love and obey God. Love and care for others. It actually makes a lot of sense as a whole.

brother what we can see is that bible teaches many wrong,harmfull,and bad things which i don't believe them to be god's teachings.and also it may contain god's word. this only one of the reasons it has contradiction.
The point is,since you believe bible to be the word of god,then why do you say as a whole "it teaches love" and at the same time there are 1000's of what we can call "bad verses".
Do you agree that those verses are god's?
No
I told you about a way to check Holy Quran...Well About the verse you quoted
let me check it
And he is certainly capable and willing to guide us.
Not certainly
Quran 6:125
Those whom Allah (in His plan) willeth to guide,- He openeth their breast to Islam; those whom He willeth to leave straying,- He makeththeir breast close and constricted, as if they had to climb up to theskies: thus doth Allah (heap) the penalty on those who refuse to believe.
It depents on you and how did you act about islam in the past and how ready are you to learn islam.
Remeber Allah wanted this to be a personal choice
18:29
Say, "The truth is from your Lord": Let him who will believe, and let him who will, reject (it): for the wrong-doers We have prepared aFire whose (smoke and flames), like the walls and roof of a tent, will hemthem in: if they implore relief they will be granted water like meltedbrass, that will scald their faces, how dreadful the drink! Howuncomfortable a couch to recline on!

Us?! yeah partly.But I never said present bible is allah's
I believe in the quran which teaches only good and did benifit humanity,and has scintific signs which are mircals ,and not a single contradiction,or a commandment which is bad for human as a whole..I believe in it 100% all it's verses

I wish you a good luck.

Last edited:

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Davy,
Thank you very much for your concern.
Personally see that the day all humans realise that religion is only an individual's personal journey inwards to reach that state of nirvana and all humans are from the same source as any other being or things which are all nothing but energy. Energy which only changes form, that which is neither created nor destroyed.
Then humans are all one without differences of caste, color, creed, religion, languages, etc. Then everyone will realise that Heaven itself is the place where we live and Hell is the same place which humans have created for themselves.
Love & rgds

Zhakir

Peace&Tolerance
Personally see that the day all humans realise that religion is only an individual's personal journey inwards to reach that state of nirvana
Not all. Muslims think religion(=islam) is a way of life that is planed by Allah,and by following it we get janna and avoid jahanm(=hell) and Allah will be pleased with us.

and all humans are from the same source as any other being or things which are all nothing but energy. Energy which only changes form, that which is neither created nor destroyed.
Yes.. beings are from the same source Allah.But please we are in the 21st century
we know that mass and energy are the same thing,and that has a start and can have an end.
Then humans are all one without differences of caste, color, creed, religion, languages, etc.
Yes.. Quran 49:13
O mankind! We created you from a single (pair) of a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes, that ye may know each other(not that ye may despise (each other). Verily the most honoured of you inthe sight of Allah is (he who is) the most righteous of you. And Allah has fullknowledge and is well acquainted (with all things).

But you see people who think and act and believe diferently aren't "one" and will never be the same,
that's why religion should not be included in that list.

Then everyone will realise that Heaven itself is the place where we live and Hell is the same place which humans have created for themselves.
Most will do not. Abrahamic religion and hindusim etc. where scriptures disagree with you.

Last edited:

DavyCrocket2003

That is a great quote from the bible and I don't think any Muslim will argue you on it...

Thank you. I believe Allah (or God if you want) loves us all a great deal. Despite our differences, we should seek to love each other in the same way.

DavyCrocket2003

brother what we can see is that bible teaches many wrong,harmfull,and bad things which i don't believe them to be god's teachings.and also it may contain god's word. this only one of the reasons it has contradiction.
The point is,since you believe bible to be the word of god,then why do you say as a whole "it teaches love" and at the same time there are 1000's of what we can call "bad verses".
Do you agree that those verses are god's?
No
I told you about a way to check Holy Quran...Well About the verse you quoted
let me check it

Not certainly
Quran 6:125
Those whom Allah (in His plan) willeth to guide,- He openeth their breast to Islam; those whom He willeth to leave straying,- He makeththeir breast close and constricted, as if they had to climb up to theskies: thus doth Allah (heap) the penalty on those who refuse to believe.
It depents on you and how did you act about islam in the past and how ready are you to learn islam.
Remeber Allah wanted this to be a personal choice
18:29
Say, "The truth is from your Lord": Let him who will believe, and let him who will, reject (it): for the wrong-doers We have prepared aFire whose (smoke and flames), like the walls and roof of a tent, will hemthem in: if they implore relief they will be granted water like meltedbrass, that will scald their faces, how dreadful the drink! Howuncomfortable a couch to recline on!

Us?! yeah partly.But I never said present bible is allah's
I believe in the quran which teaches only good and did benifit humanity,and has scintific signs which are mircals ,and not a single contradiction,or a commandment which is bad for human as a whole..I believe in it 100% all it's verses

I wish you a good luck.

Thank you. I wish you the same. Life can be hard, yet it can also be so profound.

Zahkir, I am hesitant to get into a debate about what the Bible teaches. I will agree that there are things taught in it that I would condemn. I don't feel that I can judge well enough what the Qu'ran says because I have not grown up reading it every day. Zahkir, I have been a Christian all my life and I have never been taught to kill people. The exact opposite is true. The teachings of my church, combined with the natural feelings that God has given me, have instilled with in me a deep reverence for the sanctity of human life. While the Bible may seem to condone killing when passages are read out of context, that is not what Christianity teaches. That is not what Christ taught. If you look carefully at Christianity itself, free from social prejudice, you will see a peaceful religion that teaches love of all mankind. At least that has been my entire experience with it. Here is a statement of belief from my church:

"We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent (meaning kind, loving, and generous) virtuous. And in doing good to all men. Indeed we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul: 'We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things and hope to be able to endure all things.' If there is anything virtuous, lovely or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things."

Zahkir. Read this statement of our belief. In it can you not find many things to agree on?

Zhakir

Peace&Tolerance
Zahkir, I am hesitant to get into a debate about what the Bible teaches. I will agree that there are things taught in it that I would condemn.
Then you don't condem God,but believe he didn't say that.are you willing to do so.
I don't feel that I can judge well enough what the Qu'ran says because I have not grown up reading it every day.
why not?
Do they not consider the Qur'an (with care)? Had it been from other Than Allah, they would surely have found there in Much discrepancy.
Zahkir, I have been a Christian all my life and I have never been taught to kill people. The exact opposite is true. The teachings of my church, combined with the natural feelings that God has given me, have instilled with in me a deep reverence for the sanctity of human life. While the Bible may seem to condone killing when passages are read out of context, that is not what Christianity teaches. That is not what Christ taught. If you look carefully at Christianity itself, free from social prejudice, you will see a peaceful religion that teaches love of all mankind. At least that has been my entire experience with it. Here is a statement of belief from my church:
Well doesn't your church believe in the bible as a whole?
and i'm not quoting out context,i gave the context,no? then you give me the context.
"We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent (meaning kind, loving, and generous) virtuous. And in doing good to all men. Indeed we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul: 'We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things and hope to be able to endure all things.' If there is anything virtuous, lovely or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things."
What i quoted is from the bible,many christians and jews also followed it.by the way didn't paul say :"So if a woman does not cover her head, she should cut off her hair. If it is a disgrace for a woman to cut off her hair or shave her head, let her cover her own head."
Corinthians 11:6
no where in quran says that, but do .000001% of christians follow that,i'm not saying they didn't in the past.

We proove bible isn't Allah's word.
Evil Bible Home Page
not quran's case
Quran Miracles - Miracles of the Qur'an

Think logicly.

Last edited:

DavyCrocket2003

Then you don't condem God,but believe he didn't say that.are you willing to do so.

why not?
5:32
Do they not consider the Qur'an (with care)? Had it been from other Than Allah, they would surely have found there in Much discrepancy.

Well doesn't your church believe in the bible as a whole?
and i'm not quoting out context,i gave the context,no? then you give me the context.

Wat i quoted is from the bible,many christians and jews also followed it.by the way didn't paul say :"So if a woman does not cover her head, she should cut off her hair. If it is a disgrace for a woman to cut off her hair or shave her head, let her cover her own head."
Corinthians 11:6
no where in quran says that, but do .000001% of christians follow tht,i'm not saying they didn't in the past.

We proove bible isn't Allah's word.
Evil Bible Home Page
not quran's case
Quran Miracles - Miracles of the Qur'an

Think logicly.
My point is that I don't want to get into an argument about what the Bible teaches or anything like that. I am not really trying to defend the Bible. Think what you will of it. What I am trying to say is that Christianity and Islam have a lot of common ground that we can use to build positive and engaging relationships. There is too much contention over Islam and Christianity, when they have very similar teachings. Let's put aside our differences and work together to make the world a better place. That doesn't mean giving up your beliefs or accepting ours. It just means see the good in others. Converting someone to a faith takes place through such positive interaction. Argueing and fighting just makes people angry and bitter. It doesn't convince people of the truth.

Zhakir

Peace&Tolerance
My point is that I don't want to get into an argument about what the Bible teaches or anything like that. I am not really trying to defend the Bible.
No offence and please don't misunderstand ,but,then you will have to admit the fact,bible isn't the word of God.
What I am trying to say is that Christianity and Islam have a lot of common ground that we can use to build positive and engaging relationships. There is too much contention over Islam and Christianity, when they have very similar teachings.
Yes,
Quran 3:64
Say: "O People of the Book! come to common terms as between us and you: That we worship none but Allah; that we associate no partners with him; that we erect not, from among ourselves, Lords and patrons other than Allah." If then they turn back, say ye: "Bear witness that we (at least) are Muslims (bowing to Allah's Will).

but many differences as well, and logically God didn't say :do this and don't do it at the same time,if you know what i mean.

Argueing and fighting just makes people angry and bitter. It doesn't convince people of the truth.
Argueing? why not,and you call it fighting..well what i care for is, not to disopey Quran
6:108
Revile not ye those whom they call upon besides Allah, lest they out of spite revile Allah in their ignorance. Thus have We made alluring toeach people its own doings. In the end will they return to their Lord, and We shall then tell them the truth of all that they did.

So please only,judge islam by Quran and sunah,not people who do not follow it
even if it was me doing a mistake reviling. :no:
أستغفر الله

Last edited:

fullyveiled muslimah

Evil incarnate!
Hey Davy! I remember you from a while back posting here. How've you been?

Anyway I think the simple answer to your original question is that each side has a tendency to come towards a dialogue as though it is a debate. Each side seems to already have preconceived notions about the intent or sincerity of the other. Both sides approach each other on the defensive, and almost feel as though understanding one another is equal to accepting the opposite viewpoint. We all get so caught up in proving who is right and who is wrong, that we lose sight of perhaps the point of discussion. On this forum in particular both sides are guilty of opening threads that are purposefully inflammatory to the other side. It's done out of spite rather than a genuine desire to learn and at least somewhat understand one another.

There are certain points where we will reach an impasse, but even at those times, it is unfortunate that we simply do not agree to disagree and move on to other points.

DavyCrocket2003

No offence and please don't misunderstand ,but,then you will have to admit the fact,bible isn't the word of God.
Or maybe I don't want to start a debate in the Islamic DIR forum :).
Yes,
Quran 3:64
Say: "O People of the Book! come to common terms as between us and you: That we worship none but Allah; that we associate no partners with him; that we erect not, from among ourselves, Lords and patrons other than Allah." If then they turn back, say ye: "Bear witness that we (at least) are Muslims (bowing to Allah's Will).

but many differences as well, and logically God didn't say :do this and don't do it at the same time,if you know what i mean.
Right. So the trick is figuring out which is which. It's not that hard really. If you are willing to use some common sense. You know, If you understand what kind of person God is, it helps to understand his message. The God you and I know, and believe in, would never want us to just kill people for no reason.
Argueing? why not,and you call it fighting..well what i care for is, not to disopey Quran
6:108
Revile not ye those whom they call upon besides Allah, lest they out of spite revile Allah in their ignorance. Thus have We made alluring toeach people its own doings. In the end will they return to their Lord, and We shall then tell them the truth of all that they did.
Exactly! We should show respect for each other and trust that in the end, we will all find God. The best way to help peopls find the Lord, is to humbly follow him ourselves. I am glad that we both can see this.
So please only,judge islam by Quran and sunah,not people who do not follow it
even if it was me doing a mistake reviling. :no:
أستغفر الله
Yes, I understand that now. I have nothing but respect for the Quran and it's message to us. I wish more of us would follow the message of love, peace, and respect and love of God that the prophet Muhammad taught (myself included). Sometimes it is disheartening to see all of the anger and hatred in this world. We must each do our best to live lives that will reflect God's love and help the world to find him. I wish you the best and thank you for sharing.

Last edited:

DavyCrocket2003

Hey Davy! I remember you from a while back posting here. How've you been?

Anyway I think the simple answer to your original question is that each side has a tendency to come towards a dialogue as though it is a debate. Each side seems to already have preconceived notions about the intent or sincerity of the other. Both sides approach each other on the defensive, and almost feel as though understanding one another is equal to accepting the opposite viewpoint. We all get so caught up in proving who is right and who is wrong, that we lose sight of perhaps the point of discussion. On this forum in particular both sides are guilty of opening threads that are purposefully inflammatory to the other side. It's done out of spite rather than a genuine desire to learn and at least somewhat understand one another.

There are certain points where we will reach an impasse, but even at those times, it is unfortunate that we simply do not agree to disagree and move on to other points.

I know. It makes me really sad. I mean, we're all people here. We just happen to live on different sides of an imaginary divide. I see how radically opposed to conflicting views we have become and it really kind of scares me. I mean, if we can't have dialog, how can we ever work out peaceful solutions in the real world? It is something I care about a lot. I mean, Gosh, I bet there's not one person on here that any of us wouldn't like if we were to actually get to know each other. People are people. We all live, and struggle, and love. In our hearts, we are all just sons and daughters of God. We're part of a divine family. Can't we see that? Anyway, it's good to see you. I have a great deal of respect for you and your opinions. Thanks for the intelligent and insightful post.

Cordoba

I bet there's not one person on here that any of us wouldn't like if we were to actually get to know each other. People are people. We all live, and struggle, and love. In our hearts, we are all just sons and daughters of God. We're part of a divine family. Can't we see that?

Quite right

I was recently watching a program by Tariq Ramadan on Brotherhood in Islam

His three guests in London included a non-Muslim, who is the former chairman of the Buddhist Society, and they also discussed the concept of brotherhood in humanity

http://www.tariqramadan.com/spip.php?article10586