• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hello!

Hello, Religious Forums!

I have been doing some serious religious thinking in the past few months. I am in religious-limbo right now, and have no one to talk to. I have tried to start discussion about my problems and doubts with friends and family, but their lack of interest prevents any progress. I stumbled across this forum accidentally, and I feel that I can sort of put this all out there!

I’m Ingrid. I’m currently a high school senior living in the States. My father is a Lutheran-raised Swede whose parents were, it is possible to say, devout. However, he gave up the faith when he was a child. Now I guess he is an atheist. My mother was a Roman Catholic from Ireland. Her family is extremely devout; 3 of the 5 brothers now in the priesthood and 2 of the 4 sisters in the convent. In recent years she had too given up the faith… possibly after coming to the States and the influence of my father. I’m a baptized Catholic. I was born in Ireland, but moved to the States when I was about one and a half. My father did not care for me to be baptized. He thought when I became old enough I could decide what to do with my life, but apparently my mother won. I have attended Catholic schools, parochial and private, for my entire academic career.

I was never a particularly religious child. I never understood, and still do not, the idea of a “god” or that we are all part of some subliminal plan. But when I entered high school, things changed a bit. For about two and a half years, nothing was more dear to me than becoming a nun. Many of my teachers have been nuns, and I admired then tremendously. So austere! But at the same time, I never felt like I believed in any faith. I prayed constantly, but never heard any response. In February 2008, my mother lost her job. My father is an artist (both in occupation and character) so he brought in little income. With the world economy in shambles, it was a difficult two years. I prayed every day. I prayed the rosary before school started with the sisters in the school chapel and before I went to bed. I prayed with all my heart to God for my mother to find work. My mother had always suffered from depression, but with all the awfulness of the unemployment, she took her life in December 2009. It was horrible, horrible, but I prayed for her soul and for my father.

I remember one day in March I was praying in the chapel with the nuns, and I suddenly thought, “Why didn’t God find Mama a job? Why couldn’t he let her find relief?” I tried to tell myself that it was all part of that “plan,” but it just didn’t make sense anymore. Why would a, at least as I have had pounded into my brain for the past 12 years, kind and merciful god not answer the prayers of someone and let a woman kill herself? I have been told that it was “free will.” Alright, so, yes, so it was. But wouldn’t a god that loves us, we who are the reflection of his loving grace, allow a way out for someone like that? And I realized then that I couldn’t think of one time I realized the manifestation of a prayer. I did ace that one test, but it was because I studied and worked hard. I did it because I made sure it happened. But my uncle had never recovered, nor did my friend receive a scholarship that would let her go to college. So that is one of my problems. I do not think prayers are answered, or even heard.

I have a lot of issues with the Catholic Church. It is a huge cauldron of smoldering dirt, secrecy, hypocrisy, and corruption. It is utterly incomprehensible to me how the Church is able to just push aside the horrific scandals that surround it now. How can priests accused of pedophilia just by excused by the pope? Why does Catholicism perpetuate gender inequality? (“We are all created equal and loved equally by God. But in our eyes, ladies, you don’t have the same opportunities as men. Yeah, yeah, Mary the Mother of God, Mary Magdalene… still, you can’t become our leaders.”) Why are condoms and birth control forbidden? I am pro-choice, but I do understand the Church’s opposition to abortion. I do NOT understand preventing a sperm from fertilizing an egg. I do NOT understand using a condom to prevent the transmission of sexual disease and HIV/AIDs. Why are gays completely denied equality? Don’t tell me, “Well, God didn’t create Adam and Bruce.” That is not an answer. Stop evading the problem.

Lots of people believe that God is healing those suffering from, for example, cancer. Assuming that you are a faithful follower and believe of Church dogma, you would say the cancer (suffering) is a result of the evil in the world. No, that’s not true. “Evil” does not deform cells or create tumors. Why would God allow the presence of evil if he is all-powerful? Couldn’t he just answer a prayer or two and take away cancer? No. Medical advancements are able to cure cancer. By cure I mean remove the malignant cells and make the person “cancer free.” So, if we are going with the “God works medical miracles,” why has there never been a case of the healing of an amputee? We can raise people from the dead (or wait until they are out of a coma) but we can’t grow back a hand? It does not make sense. The “special plan” excuse is ********.

Why do people starve? God can ignore the calls of dying, neglected people? Why is God such a proponent of slavery in the Bible? Why do good things happen to bad people? Why don’t any miracles leave evidence? Why hasn’t Jesus appeared to any of us?

Discrepancies in religion constantly force us to rationalize. For the past two years, my theology books have told me NOT to rationalize. They say that rationalization takes place when a person knows something is impossible or false, but attempts to make it true or pleasing to them. But these things have to be rationalized if you are going to believe them. I cannot do that. It just does not make sense.

I have spent much time flipping through the Bible looking at things that just blow my mind. People say to look to the Bible for moral guiding. But how can we follow these things?

“[FONT=&quot]For six days, work is to be done, but the seventh day shall be your holy day, a Sabbath of rest to the LORD. Whoever does any work on it must be put to death.” Exodus 35:2[/FONT]
“If a man has a stubborn and rebellious son who does not obey his father and mother and will not listen to them when they discipline him, 19 his father and mother shall take hold of him and bring him to the elders at the gate of his town. 20 They shall say to the elders, "This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious. He will not obey us. He is a profligate and a drunkard." 21 Then all the men of his town shall stone him to death. You must purge the evil from among you. All Israel will hear of it and be afraid.” Deuteronomy 21:18-21
“If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.” Leviticus 20:13
The Bible is scientifically and historically inaccurate.
How did that Council (I forget its name) decide that some of the gospels should be kept in the Bible in others excluded? How could they have not made the cut? What are you talking about? Isn’t it the inspired word of god?

How can a faith be based on things like this? I have done my homework. I know the Bible should be read in a figurative sense, not literally. But to kill is to kill, in my book.

I don’t think I even believe in a god now. I think it was Plato who said, “He was a wise man who invented God.” I think it’s on track.

But, what do you think? Can you clear some of this mud for me?

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
welcome Cornedbeefandcabbage-

Yes, the Bible itself is saying it is inspired by God [2nd Tim 3vs16,17]

As to which books should be part of the Bible canon [collection of Bible books]
The church recognized the first-century NT books as the authoritative Word of God.
The canon [NT/OT] was established very early on. Ancient Hebrew manuscripts supported Bible canon as did the Christian Greek Scriptures. So the church did not establish which books but rather testified as to what was already accepted by God.

The apocryphal books included in some versions exclude themselves as inspired by internal content out of harmony with established Scripture.

Also, isn't there a difference between killing, murder and an execution for justice sake?

Jesus appears to us through his recorded words. There will not be divine involvement into mankind's affairs until the time of Matthew 25vs31,32.
The book of Revelation shows us a happy climax that there will be healing or curing of the nations at the time of Jesus 1000-year reign over earth.
-Rev 22v2; Genesis 12v3; 22vs17,18

Last edited:

truseeker

Isn't it interesting that most people think homosexuality is OK and the death penalty is wrong but God said in your quote that homosexuals should be put to death. People just go on believing what they want not what the Bible teaches.

welcome Cornedbeefandcabbage-

Yes, the Bible itself is saying it is inspired by God [2nd Tim 3vs16,17]

As to which books should be part of the Bible canon [collection of Bible books]
The church recognized the first-century NT books as the authoritative Word of God.
The canon [NT/OT] was established very early on. Ancient Hebrew manuscripts supported Bible canon as did the Christian Greek Scriptures. So the church did not establish which books but rather testified as to what was already accepted by God.

The apocryphal books included in some versions exclude themselves as inspired by internal content out of harmony with established Scripture.

Also, isn't there a difference between killing, murder and an execution for justice sake?

Jesus appears to us through his recorded words. There will not be divine involvement into mankind's affairs until the time of Matthew 25vs31,32.
The book of Revelation shows us a happy climax that there will be healing or curing of the nations at the time of Jesus 1000-year reign over earth.
-Rev 22v2; Genesis 12v3; 22vs17,18

Alright, but I still don't quite understand how a committee can get together and vote on which ones they are going to keep. What qualifications were there?

Of course there is a difference between murder and execution. But taking the life of a disobedient child, a homosexual, a non-believer, women who aren't virgins on their wedding night, someone of another faith, a person who works on the Sabbath is not execution. There is no justice in that. I am saying that the Bible tells you to kill people who do not believe in what you believe. If there is a serial killer, then, yes, they can reasonably be put to death, for they are a threat to the community. There is justice in that. But there is just cruelty and a thirst for blood in the Bible.

Jesus does not "appear" to us in his recorded words. We read what acquaintances remember him saying and what acquaintances heard second-hand. So there will be no divine involvement until the second coming. What are you saying? That there is absolutely none now? I don't understand.

Reptillian

Hamburgler Extraordinaire
I'll tell you what I know. A man's view of god reflects his philosophical outlook. When one finds truth one finds the best view of god. Many wise men say that all knowledge begins with the phrase, "I don't know." Its only when you realize that you don't know something that you search for the answer. If anything like god exists, then I would say that your questioning points you in the right direction.

I'm never too shocked when I see contradiction in people. To quote Pascal, "Man is so necessarily mad, that to not be mad would amount to another form of madness."

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Alright, but I still don't quite understand how a committee can get together and vote on which ones they are going to keep. What qualifications were there?
Of course there is a difference between murder and execution. But taking the life of a disobedient child, a homosexual, a non-believer, women who aren't virgins on their wedding night, someone of another faith, a person who works on the Sabbath is not execution. There is no justice in that. I am saying that the Bible tells you to kill people who do not believe in what you believe. If there is a serial killer, then, yes, they can reasonably be put to death, for they are a threat to the community. There is justice in that. But there is just cruelty and a thirst for blood in the Bible.
Jesus does not "appear" to us in his recorded words. We read what acquaintances remember him saying and what acquaintances heard second-hand. So there will be no divine involvement until the second coming. What are you saying? That there is absolutely none now? I don't understand.

Once Adam disobeyed God, then Adam was taking the law into his own hands. Adam set up people rule over God rule as the best way of ruling.
Adam acted as a free moral agent, and since God created all with free moral will then God does not interfere with our choices.
Time allowed for all of us to be born and decide how we want to live without interference from God. We chose for ourselves how to behave.
God will not allow the upright to be removed from the earth as seen by the example of the Flood and Sodom and Gommorah. Please notice Psalm 92v7.
Once wickedness abounds then God will have Jesus take action.
Psalm 145v20; Proverbs 2vs21,22; Isaiah 11v4; Revelation 19vs11,14,15.

The 'old manuscripts' existed before the canon as qualification.
The church testified as to what was already accepted as authentic.

We are Not under the Constitution of the Mosaic law which the people agreed to after leaving Egypt. If you became a citizen of another country wouldn't that country expect you to be a law-abiding citizen? The ancient Israelite people agreed to a Sabbath [Saturday] of rest. That all ended at Pentecost.

Who takes the life of a disobedient minor?
Under the Mosaic law only an adult child can be judged as worthy of death.
The rebellious 'adult son' of Deut 21vs18-22 was a glutton and a drunkard.

Pregnant Bath-sheba was not a virgin on her wedding night to David.
Context and setting often had a lot to do with what the judges decided.

Jesus taught not to live by the sword. [Matt 26v52; Rev 13v10]
Living by the Golden Rule is not living by the killing sword.
What would the world be like if all lived by the Golden Rule?_________

Jesus and his first-century followers did not interfere with 'Caesar'.
Meaning Christians were never authorized to boss 'Caesar'.
-Romans chapter 13.
God law is absolute [Acts 5v29] we are in a relative subjection to men's laws.
If man's laws are breaking God's law, only then Christians are to obey God as ruler rather than men.

Scriptures do tell us who will Not inherit God's kingdom such as 1st Cor 6vs9,10
But it is up to each to decide if one wants to follow Jesus or not.
Jesus forced no one to follow him.
Jesus and his followers were neutral and did not interfere with other's choices.
They did not even become involved with the issues of the day between the Jews and the Romans.
Genuine Christians are merely to teach or be teaching others about Scripture.
What another does with that information is up to them.
-Matthew 24v14; 28vs19,20.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Hi, CB&C. Welcome to RF. I found your OP really touching. I'm sincerely sorry for the struggle you are going through right now. Maybe talking about things here on RF will help some. There are so many different perspectives present among this unlikely collection of people. Hopefully someone will be able to say something to help you resolve some of the issues you are faced with.

Willowmina

On a journey to the ocean
Welcome, Cornedbeefandcabbage. You do sound very angry, but I'm sure with your inquiry, you will find your answers. May blessings come to you. And a big group hug.:camp: