• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hello, Clear off, Got any food?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
No - not what anyone begging might say. :oops:

What exactly do some bird calls mean? Many suggest alarm - at us perhaps (many seem obvious) but usually towards their common predators (and often mobbing calls) - but what do some of the others mean, apart from the more obvious ones related to their species and usually directed at the females, or being territorial, or suggesting their prowess? I'm thinking more about the urban ones - sparrows (or their equivalent in your country), starlings, and all the others that often react when we approach or pass close by.

I suspect it's - clear off, human trash - although that might change when food is scarce. Or are they just general alarm calls when anything they perceive as a threat approaches? And it's true that many don't seem like alarm calls.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I have heard that early morning calls are performed to establish -- or re-establish -- the bird's territory. They are basically saying, "This is my turf. Stay off of it." The calls are directed towards members of their own species.

At least that was how some scientists used to interpret the calls the last time I looked up what they were all about -- which was years ago.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I've not looked it up, it's more fun that way, but I can speculate that some males are saying "good morning, honey. How about 'frisky action' on this fine morning"

exchemist

Veteran Member
I have heard that early morning calls are performed to establish -- or re-establish -- the bird's territory. They are basically saying, "This is my turf. Stay off of it." The calls are directed towards members of their own species.

At least that was how some scientists used to interpret the calls the last time I looked up what they were all about -- which was years ago.
Yes, I find it amusing to think that the pleasant song of the robin redbreast in my back garden, on a summer's morning, is really saying: "You come over 'ere and I'll smash yur beak in!"
I have in fact read that robins are quite aggressive birds.

But I have also seen them described as "confiding", by which the author meant they are confident in approaching people, to sit beside you as you dig the garden, in the hope you will turn up something for them to eat. I have a family of them, nesting in the privet hedge, that certainly do show up every time I start collecting dead leaves or something and they get quite close. But when I read it, I imagined something different, vz. one robin saying to another, across the garden fence, after looking left and right to check no one else was listening, "Well. Now, I'm not normally a one to talk, but you know the other day......."

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
We live in a wooded area and birds abound, there is rarely any daytime respite from their "singing" except when a hawk, hen harrier or eagle are patrolling... Then the silence is deafening.

The sweet sound of birds bickering is not a problem, like for all animals is a must in this household. We have several bird feeders hanging around. They cater for mostly sparrows, there are several nests nearby, and boy can they be argumentative. Particularly late spring when the new brood males are trying to assert their dominance.

Back to the bird feeders. Often enough I see 3 or 4 species at the same feeder, sometimes squabbling, sometimes queueing, waiting while the bird in front is done. Mostly just pecking away and scattering the seeds in a 6 ft radius around the feeders.

Perhaps i am putting my own interpretation on their behaviour, it seems they like to sit on a nearby roof to watch me sweep up their mess. I am sure they are thinking "what a sucker we have here"

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
No - not what anyone begging might say. :oops:

What exactly do some bird calls mean? Many suggest alarm - at us perhaps (many seem obvious) but usually towards their common predators (and often mobbing calls) - but what do some of the others mean, apart from the more obvious ones related to their species and usually directed at the females, or being territorial, or suggesting their prowess? I'm thinking more about the urban ones - sparrows (or their equivalent in your country), starlings, and all the others that often react when we approach or pass close by.

I suspect it's - clear off, human trash - although that might change when food is scarce. Or are they just general alarm calls when anything they perceive as a threat approaches? And it's true that many don't seem like alarm calls.

I suspect something like that. My wife has some cockatiels. When they see me they certainly let me know when they've run out of food. They get pretty loud about it. I've also managed to get them to imitate a wolf whistle. I don't know what they think they are saying but it seems they are trying to communicate with me.

Heyo

Veteran Member
What exactly do some bird calls mean? Many suggest alarm - at us perhaps (many seem obvious) but usually towards their common predators (and often mobbing calls) - but what do some of the others mean, apart from the more obvious ones related to their species and usually directed at the females, or being territorial, or suggesting their prowess?
Birds have multiple alarm calls, at least the more intelligent ones. They discern at least "threat from below" (cat, fox, weasel, ...) and "threat from above" (hawk, eagle, falcon, ...). Crows may have names for individual humans.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Yes, I find it amusing to think that the pleasant song of the robin redbreast in my back garden, on a summer's morning, is really saying: "You come over 'ere and I'll smash yur beak in!"
I have in fact read that robins are quite aggressive birds.

But I have also seen them described as "confiding", by which the author meant they are confident in approaching people, to sit beside you as you dig the garden, in the hope you will turn up something for them to eat. I have a family of them, nesting in the privet hedge, that certainly do show up every time I start collecting dead leaves or something and they get quite close. But when I read it, I imagined something different, vz. one robin saying to another, across the garden fence, after looking left and right to check no one else was listening, "Well. Now, I'm not normally a one to talk, but you know the other day......."

I think robins can be fed by hand - mealworms and such - if one is patient, but perhaps not recommended. My mother used to feed blackbirds by hand. So certainly some birds are much more confident, or trusting than others.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I suspect something like that. My wife has some cockatiels. When they see me they certainly let me know when they've run out of food. They get pretty loud about it. I've also managed to get them to imitate a wolf whistle. I don't know what they think they are saying but it seems they are trying to communicate with me.

Yes, when I had some bird-feeders up I used to get quite some clamouring when I appeared. Not sure whether it was to fill them up quicker or to tell me to stop filling them - their diet possibly changing when they have young. :oops:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Birds have multiple alarm calls, at least the more intelligent ones. They discern at least "threat from below" (cat, fox, weasel, ...) and "threat from above" (hawk, eagle, falcon, ...). Crows may have names for individual humans.

I was thinking of the more street-wise urban ones that interact with humans all the time. :musicnotes:

exchemist

Veteran Member
I think robins can be fed by hand - mealworms and such - if one is patient, but perhaps not recommended. My mother used to feed blackbirds by hand. So certainly some birds are much more confident, or trusting than others.
Yes you can. Also great tits. My grandmother used to get them to take peanuts from her hand in Scotland and as children we enjoyed doing the same when we visited. I have the strong impression birds can learn that a person is not a threat.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Yes you can. Also great tits. My grandmother used to get them to take peanuts from her hand in Scotland and as children we enjoyed doing the same when we visited. I have the strong impression birds can learn that a person is not a threat.

I believe great tits have been found to be more intelligent than blue tits, so perhaps the latter are less likely to be so trusting of humans, and I think it probably is intelligence that enables many to interact with humans so readily.

Heyo

Veteran Member
I believe great tits have been found to be more intelligent than blue tits, so perhaps the latter are less likely to be so trusting of humans, and I think it probably is intelligence that enables many to interact with humans so readily.
I'm not so sure that it is intelligent to interact with humans.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Maybe. Though, now I think about, there were also a few blue tits that would take peanuts from your hand as well - perhaps copying the great tits. And one robin used to come, though I'm not sure it ate peanuts.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Maybe. Though, now I think about, there were also a few blue tits that would take peanuts from your hand as well - perhaps copying the great tits. And one robin used to come, though I'm not sure it ate peanuts.

I think wrens are another who might do so but I rarely have seen them around much, and never at bird-feeders. Like robins, they prefer other fare I think.

Good-Ole-Rebel

I free ranged chickens for several years. Always having them around, you get tuned in to their different noises which mean different things to the other chickens. I'm sure other birds have their own sounds which do the same.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Still haven't found my answer yet but these are worth a listen:

Much easier to discern cat messaging it seems: