• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hell& Heaven, Your religion view

ranvirk

Dear All,

Hello, I am a new member to this forum and though I would start a new thread on something that has bothered me for 2-3 years. Concept of hell and heaven. Being a Sikh, I wanted to know if non Sikhs will be punished in hell simply for not believing in god or not considering Sikh gurus as is the case in some other religions. The whole concept didn't make sense as how can God simply punish people for choosing not to believe as there is no evidence for its existence what so ever for these people and they may or may not be right ( I am not an Atheist btw).

So below is what Sikhism point of view for Heave and hell and for me it makes more sense than simply putting someone to hell for not believing. Would like to know what you think and what your religion teach in this respect.

Sikhism firstly looks at heaven and hell as a state of consciousness. Whenever we remain attached to God we reside in Heaven and whenever we let the 5 thieves (lust, anger, greed, attachment and pride) rule our life then we reside in hell. With regards to heaven, the Guru Granth Sahib says ( Sikh holy book):

“In the cave of intuitive wisdom I sit, absorbed in the silent trance of the Primal Void. I have obtained my seat in the heavens. ||1||” (Guru Granth Sahib, p.97)
“One moment, this mind is in the heavens, and the next, it is in the nether regions; the Guru brings the wandering mind back to one-pointedness.” (Guru Granth Sahib, p.443)

“Wherever You keep me, is heaven. You are the Cherisher of all.” (Guru Granth Sahib, p.106)

Maya and the 5 thieves pull our nature down to “hell”. The Guru Granth Sahib says:
“The mortal has fallen into the deep dark pit of household attachment; it is a horrible, dark hell.” (Guru Granth Sahib, p.1223)
“O sexual desire, you lead the mortals to hell; you make them wander in reincarnation through countless species.” (Guru Granth Sahib, p.1358)
“Slandering the Saints, one falls into hell.” (Guru Granth Sahib, p.279)
Gaining Direct Experience of Heaven

Sikhism is a spiritual lifestyle which includes early morning mediation, earning an honest living, devoting time to charity, honesty, humility and compassion, avoiding alcohol and tobacco etc. So it is living this spiritual lifestyle which gives us the knowledge and first hand experience of heaven.
“By mere talk, people do not earn passage to Heaven. Salvation comes only from the practice of Truth.” (Guru Granth Sahib, p.141)

“Make good deeds the soil, and let the Word of the Shabad be the seed; irrigate it continually with the water of Truth. Become such a farmer, and faith will sprout. This brings knowledge of heaven and hell, you fool! ||1||” (Guru Granth Sahib, p.24)

“When He placed His hand upon Your forehead, then the celestial nectar began to rain down in torrents; the gods and human beings, heavenly heralds and sages were drenched in its fragrance.” (Guru Granth Sahib, p.1391)
“Without the karma of good actions, heaven is not attained.” (Guru Granth Sahib, p.952)
“One who speaks lies shall fall into hell and burn.” (Guru Granth Sahib, p.142)
“The Guru’s Word saves one from falling into hell.” (Guru Granth Sahib, p.177)
“Everything is obtained: the heavens, liberation and deliverance, if one sings the Lord’s Glories, even for an instant.” (Guru Granth Sahib, p.290)
But God’s creation is infinite and our experience of heaven and divinity will only be a scratch on the surface.
“Your limits are not known to any of the beings in the heavens, in this world, or in the nether regions of the underworld. ||1||” (Guru Granth Sahib, p.71)
Sikhs Transcend both Heaven and Hell

The spiritual masters have taught that desire for heaven or fear of hell is not the path of the saints or the correct method of salvation. Sikhs transcend even the concept of heaven and hell and only desire to be close to God. In this way Sikhs create eternal peace both in this world through their selfless service to humanity and love for God and remain in eternal peace hereafter.
“What is hell, and what is heaven? The Saints reject them both.” (Guru Granth Sahib, p.969)
“Don’t wish for a home in heaven, and don’t be afraid to live in hell. Whatever will be will be, so don’t get your hopes up in your mind. ||1||Sing the Glorious Praises of the Lord, from whom the most excellent treasure is obtained” (Guru Granth Sahib, p.337)
“Greed, emotional attachment to Maya, possessiveness, the service of evil, pleasure and pain – those who are not touched by these, are the very embodiment of the Divine Lord. ||1||Heaven and hell, ambrosial nectar and poison, gold and copper – these are all alike to them. Praise and slander are all the same to them, as are greed and attachment. ||2||They are not bound by pleasure and pain – know that they are truly wise. O Nanak, recognize those mortal beings as liberated, who live this way of life. ||3||7||” (Guru Granth Sahib, p.220)
Heaven on Earth

Sikhs in their spiritual assemblies create heavens on Earth. This is why the Sadh Sangat (holy congregation) is given so much importance as a catalyst for spiritual evolution.
“The city of heaven is where the Saints dwell. They enshrine the Lotus Feet of God within their hearts.” (Guru Granth Sahib, p.742)
“Liberation and heaven are found in the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy; his humble servant finds the home of the Lord.” (Guru Granth Sahib, p.682)
“That place is heaven, where the Kirtan of the Lord’s Praises are sung. You Yourself instill faith into us.” (Guru Granth Sahib, p.749)
“Hell and disease do not afflict one who joins the Company of the Lord’s humble servants, O Nanak; the Lord attaches him to the hem of His robe.” (Guru Granth Sahib, p.531)
“Keep me near You, O Merciful Lord God – that is heaven for me.” (Guru Granth Sahib, p.1161)
“One who enjoys peace in the Company of the Holy, even for an instant, obtains millions of heavenly paradises.” (Guru Granth Sahib, p.1208)
Heaven in the Afterlife

Once our time on Earth is complete and it is our time to depart then our soul rises through the 5 spiritual realms to meet God in its formless state (Nirankar). The Guru is the boat which carries people across the earthly plane.
“The Boat of the True Guru is the Name of the Lord. How can we climb on board? One who walks in harmony with the True Guru’s Will comes to sit in this Boat. Blessed, blessed are those very fortunate ones, O Nanak, who are united with the Lord through the True Guru.” (Guru Granth Sahib, p.40)
“Remembering Him in meditation, the door of liberation is found. You shall go to heaven, and not return to this earth.” (Guru Granth Sahib, p.971)
Conclusion

Sikhs do not desire heaven or hell and only desire to be close to God. This is most beautifully expressed in the quote below by Rabi’a:
“If I adore You out of fear of Hell, burn me in Hell!
If I adore you out of desire for Paradise,
Lock me out of Paradise.
But if I adore you for Yourself alone,
Do not deny to me Your eternal beauty.”

Heaven is where the lords saints abide and where His praises are sung. Heaven is not exclusive for any specific religious group but it can not be accessed through simple beliefs. Actions speak louder than words and this holds true in both the spiritual and material worlds.

Chalant

As an atheist, none of these places exist for me. The religion in which I was raised in (hinduism) also doesnt have these places, its only rebirth u til you get moksha, but im sure you know this. I liked the last verse you posted though, islam and christianity could learn something from sikhism.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I believe that "heaven" is a reconciliation with God and that "hell" is a separation from God. I am also under the belief that other than Christians will be and can be saved. The latter view is not a normal belief for my faith.

ranvirk

I believe that "heaven" is a reconciliation with God and that "hell" is a separation from God. I am also under the belief that other than Christians will be and can be saved. The latter view is not a normal belief for my faith.

Thanks for your reply, so just to understand correctly if I don't believe in Jesus there is a chance I won't go to hell? Correct

Treks

Ranvirk ji

I am of the same opinion as you - heaven is close awareness of the Creator and hell is mental and spiritual disconnection from It.

One of your sections confused me:

Once our time on Earth is complete and it is our time to depart then our soul rises through the 5 spiritual realms to meet God in its formless state (Nirankar). The Guru is the boat which carries people across the earthly plane.

Where is this idea from? It seems a bit out of place compared to the rest of your post and unrelated to the Gurbani tuks posted after it. I hope you don't mind me asking here.

Gurufateh
Treks

dynavert2012

that's good thread,i believe in hell and heaven, who does well will find well who does bad will find bad, i believe it's fair rule, so criminals will be in the hell even if they belong to he right religion as i believe it's Islam unless they repent and seeking the forgiveness of Allah
so there could be lots of Muslims in the hell.
in Islam generally we believe that who's not Muslim won't enter the heaven and consequently s/he will be in the hell but there are some exceptions here

for example people who doesn't hear about Islam or religions at all like many people in Africa, Latin America or any other place, so they are excused because they don't receive the message

also the people who hears about Islam but they got fake picture because of media or some bad Muslims actions or morals and so they got that this is the Islam, so some scholars say they are also excused but i would prefer if they did some more efforts to learn about it.

and surly Allah knows the best

Last edited:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I reject both the concepts of heaven and hell. One's destiny is rarely as one imagines or expects it to be, though all too many prefer to pretend things are otherwise.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
So below is what Sikhism point of view for Heave and hell and for me it makes more sense than simply putting someone to hell for not believing. Would like to know what you think and what your religion teach in this respect.

Hi ranvirk,

I'm a christian and a worshiper of Jehovah. In Jehovahs holy book the bible, the idea of heaven and hell are explained.

In the bible, Heaven is an abiding place for God and the angelic hosts. These are all spirit beings and therefore they reside in the spirit realm. Heaven is outside the physical realm, so humans of flesh cannot enter as it states at 1Corinthians 15:50 “Flesh and blood cannot inherit God’s kingdom.”
The only way for a human to enter heaven is if God chooses them to be members of the Heavenly kingdom, and after their physical death, he resurrects them to life in spirit as 1Corinthians 50:52 says *in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, during the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised up incorruptible, and we shall be changed. 53*For this which is corruptible must put on incorruption, and this which is mortal must put on immortality. So it is God himself who makes this possible to someone who has died.
The bible does say that some from among man will be taken to heaven, but the number is very small, only 144,000 as is mentioned in the book of Revelations.

The reason is simply because mankind are created FOR the earth. We are Gods servants just as the angels are, but our role is to take care of Gods physical creation, ie the earth. So man has always been connected with the earth and this is where we will reside because this is where God purposes for us to serve him.
Psalm 115:15*YOU are the ones blessed by Jehovah,
The Maker of heaven and earth.
16*As regards the heavens, to Jehovah the heavens belong,
But the earth he has given to the sons of men

Now as regards hell, the bible teaching is very clear that hell is the grave of mankind. The Hebrew word for hell is Sheol. This word means the grave/tomb/pit. It is only a place of punishment in that we, as sinners, will eventually have to die. The bible tells us the reason for death at Romans 5:12 12*That is why, just as through one man sin entered into the world and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men because they had all sinned
And death is the complete punishment for sin. The bible also tells us the condition of the dead:
Ecclesiastes 9:5 For the living are conscious that they will die; but as for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all, neither do they anymore have wages, because the remembrance of them has been forgotten

So we all end up in hell...even the righteous one will eventually end up in hell. But God has promised to bring the dead back to life and give them a 2nd chance at life in a world governed by him and this is called the 'Resurrection day'. He will give mankind the opportunity to live in a world where sin is not promoted. Mankind will be taught to love righteousness and they will learn to control and remove the badness from within....hence eventually they will return to the perfection with which God created our first parents Adam and Eve.

Jeremiah 31:33 prophesies about this time:
*“For this is the covenant that I shall conclude with the house of Israel after those days,” is the utterance of Jehovah. “I will put my law within them, and in their heart I shall write it. And I will become their God, and they themselves will become my people.” 34*“And they will no more teach each one his companion and each one his brother, saying, ‘KNOW Jehovah!’ for they will all of them know me, from the least one of them even to the greatest one of them,” is the utterance of Jehovah. “For I shall forgive their error, and their sin I shall remember no more.”

There are so many paths set before us that we struggle to find the right path to God and logically they cannot all lead to God. Yet this promise of God tells us that he himself will instruct us and we will have the opportunity to know him as an individual standing before him. His law will become apart of our 'heart' so that obedience to the laws will be a pleasure to us....not a struggle. A beautiful prophecy for the future is this:

Revelation 21:3*With that I heard a loud voice from the throne say: “Look! The tent of God is with mankind, and he will reside with them, and they will be his peoples. And God himself will be with them. 4*And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away.”

Last edited:

muziko

Hell is viewed as a separation of God while heaven is enjoying the closeness and love of the Almighty. The last part about adoring God for simply who he is really touched me. Thanks for posting that quote :)

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
I don't think a literal afterlife exists. Maybe more of one which is a state of being, but certainly not one of either everlasting paradise or torture. Hell, a part of me thinks there may not be an afterlife at all. Then again, I'm not dead, so I wouldn't know.

I've had these beliefs for a while and I'm not sure they would change even if I did convert to a religion that had a belief in a literal heaven or hell.

BruceDLimber

We ALL go on to the Next Life, which is more wonderful than we can imagine here and now!

Heaven is spiritual nearness to God; hell, spiritual separation.

As such, they both exist here and now as well as in the Next Life; and each of us is in one or the other at each moment as a function of "where our heads are at."

Further, the Baha'i scriptures go on to say that God, in His infinite Love and Mercy for us, will assist everyone--even those initially in the worst spiritual state--eventually to draw spiritually near to Him (thus achieving Heaven). Quote upon request.

Best! :)

Bruce