• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Heating With Woodburning

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Sure....why not....anything to get people in this thread.
But woodburning is a more complex issue.

Hasn't wood burning become more whimsy than necessary? Is it cost effective? Maybe as a viable back-up in case the grid goes down? And the biggie, bustin' wood at our age is not as fun as it use to be.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
There are many many wood stoves available.
Some are high efficiency with cleaner discharges.
Others are low efficiency, & very dirty.
The high efficiency types use different methods to burn unburned exhaust gases ....
- Catalytic element
- Ceramic chamber
- Metal burn plate on top with secondary air input

I prefer the 3rd option because it's more durable & maintainable.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Hasn't wood burning become more whimsy than necessary? Is it cost effective? Maybe as a viable back-up in case the grid goes down? And the biggie, bustin' wood at our age is not as fun as it use to be.
I have an unlimited source of free firewood.
All it requires is work.
And yes, when the power goes out, I have heat.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
There are many many wood stoves available.
Some are high efficiency with cleaner discharges.
Others are low efficiency, & very dirty.
The high efficiency types use different methods to burn unburned exhaust gases ....
- Catalytic element
- Ceramic chamber
- Metal burn plate on top with secondary air input

I prefer the 3rd option because it's more durable & maintainable.
What about pellet stoves? I know nothing about them but a family friend of mine has one. They love it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
What about pellet stoves? I know nothing about them but a family friend of mine has one. They love it.
They work well.
I know someone who uses one, & finds it cost effective.
I'd have one if I didn't have free firewood.

Notanumber

A Free Man
I used to install wood burners as part of my business until the Hetas regulations came in and created more red tape and expense.

The one important aspect that I realised at that time was that problems arose when they were used for central heating.

If they had a big water jacket, they couldn’t burn hot enough to burn cleanly. Therefore, if I were installing one now it would be for space heating only.

Notanumber

A Free Man
That, & pallets & construction lumber dumped on my property.
(Pallets are a lot of work to fit in a wood stove near my green leather chair.)

That reminds me of my late father who was a farmer. He used to come in with half a tree and stick one end on the open fire with the other end on a stool. He would keep feeding it in as it burned.

He had a panic attack when I installed a gas fire one Christmas Eve, but he soon realised the benefit when we had the warmest Christmas ever.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
That reminds me of my late father who was a farmer. He used to come in with half a tree and stick one end on the open fire with the other end on a stool. He would keep feeding it in as it burned.
That is hard core.
If I tried it, I'd fill the house with smoke from a failing fire.
Even if it worked, it would be horribly inefficient because
of uncontrolled unburned air heading up the flue.

Notanumber

A Free Man
That is hard core.
If I tried it, I'd fill the house with smoke from a failing fire.
Even if it worked, it would be horribly inefficient because
of uncontrolled unburned air heading up the flue.

It was inefficient but that didn’t stop him. We only got a bit heat when the last bit reached the fire and we finally got to see some flames. Up until that point, all we got was an increase in the cold drafts rushing in from all the nooks and crannies in an old farmhouse to compensate for the increased up draft in the chimney, which at least got rid of all the smoke.

The beauty of the gas fire was that it stopped these cold drafts as well as heating all parts of the room by convection rather than relying on radiation. This is where modern wood burners benefit over open fires.

The youths of today don’t know they are born. We had to scrape the ice from off the inside of the windowpanes most winters.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The youths of today don’t know they are born. We had to scrape the ice from off the inside of the windowpanes most winters.
You had panes in your windows?
Our windows were just holes in the walls from throwing empties at it.