• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Health Care Lobbying

T-Dawg

Self-appointed Lunatic
Health insurers have the second lowest number? That can't be right...
From what I've heard on the issue, the makers of drugs and health products stand to gain from this bill (I guess universal healthcare means that more people will have access to their products, and it means that the government will be buying from them), yet it says they're spending the most to fight this bill...

Duck

From what I've heard on the issue, the makers of drugs and health products stand to gain from this bill (I guess universal healthcare means that more people will have access to their products, and it means that the government will be buying from them), yet it says they're spending the most to fight this bill...

Don't forget that HMOs ARE a branch of health insurers...think of them as the active branch while the insurers are the political branch.

Edit: I am also willing to bet that the "miscellaneous" number belongs to the insurer/hmo column as well. I also would not be surprised to find out that some of the more independent appearing (doctors/nurse organizations or even hospitals) organizations were financed by insurance companies to lobby for the insurance company's agenda. Kind of like how doctors are "not paid" by pharmaceutical companies to proscribe their new drugs...

Last edited:

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
From what I've heard on the issue, the makers of drugs and health products stand to gain from this bill (I guess universal health care means that more people will have access to their products, and it means that the government will be buying from them), yet it says they're spending the most to fight this bill...

The reason is fairly obvious if you look at other countries health care drug purchases.
The state in these countries control which drugs can be prescribed in their service.
Drugs are tested for effectiveness and the ones which don't work or are less effective than others but more expensive can not be prescribed.

Many drugs from the USA when tested in Europe are found to be costly but ineffective. Many others are leaders in their field. Under the American commercial system, provided they are safe they can all be advertised and sold.

Mostly, but not all the ineffective drugs, can be sold and used in the UK if prescribed by private doctors. Unfortunately the patient does not know the good from the bad.

Such control in a USA state system, would cost the Drug producers billions in lost sales of ineffective drugs.
No wonder they are fighting.