• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have you ever been conservative, or have your views ever changed?

TommyDar

I used to be very conservative in the past. Both in a religious sense and in a social sense. I believed people should get married to have relations, that abortion is wrong, that nearly everything is a sin. I had a very strict, conservative upbringing. In fact when I was a child in middle school, my siblings and I, we were not even allowed to listen to popular music in the house, had to be home by a certain times, and many other restrictions.

I also had what are considered for my country very conservative political views on the economy and foreign policy.

However today I'm actually quite liberal and I am a firm believer in the western idea of progressivism.

Reverend Richard

New Thought Minister
I used to be very conservative in the past. Both in a religious sense and in a social sense. I believed people should get married to have relations, that abortion is wrong, that nearly everything is a sin. I had a very strict, conservative upbringing. In fact when I was a child in middle school, my siblings and I, we were not even allowed to listen to popular music in the house, had to be home by a certain times, and many other restrictions.

I also had what are considered for my country very conservative political views on the economy and foreign policy.

However today I'm actually quite liberal and I am a firm believer in the western idea of progressivism.

Same here. I was born in the Southeastern U.S. "Bible Belt", and was raised and baptised as a conservative Christian. I was a staunch Republican for most of my life. However, over the last few years, I have become more of a social moderate rather than a social conservative. The tipping point for me was the presidency of George W. Bush. When I began to see how the Christian Right and the Tea Party was driving the poliltical machine in this country, I was done. I began voting primarly as a Democrat, who had a more socially liberal agenda.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I tended to vote moderate Republican until about twenty years ago. That's when I began really paying attention to politics, reading up on it, and doing a lot of thinking for myself about it. The more I learned, the more progressive I became.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I've always been a classical liberal. But in grade school, when I became aware of politics I saw only the narrow left v right
spectrum presented in the media. I had no political home, since the usual self-proclaimed liberals also wanted to restrict
liberties (especially economic) & their main party (Dems) supported pre-emptive war. I voted for McGovern (Dem) for
prez, but he wasn't really my guy. In college, I discovered the libertarian perspective, ie Jeffersonian style liberalism.
Now I'm home....a home full of losers, but they're my losers.

Last edited:

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
I've spanned the political spectrum.

I registered to vote at 18 as a moderate Republician, then shifted to the far right. Found the Libertarians in my late 20's. Over the last several years I've moved sharply to the left.

TommyDar

I tended to vote moderate Republican until about twenty years ago. That's when I began really paying attention to politics, reading up on it, and doing a lot of thinking for myself about it. The more I learned, the more progressive I became.

Yes, my educational process for me was a huge eye opener. I resided in Europe as well as the United States for several years and one of the things that drove me away from social conservatives in general are Republicans. They always gave a "bad taste in my mouth" as people say. When I first went abroad I was still a bit reserved and on the conservative side, but after a few years of dialogue I became more interested in politics and social issues and also became more liberal.

I eventually went to read for a doctorate in Political Sciences, and by the time I graduated I as fully progressive, liberal on nearly all the social issues.

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
I was never really interested in politics, despite my Dads efforts to cultivate me into a good little Republican. :D

Today I'm still largely non-political, but I'm definitely more left-leaning and I have an interest in the Green Party.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
I spent most of my life as a conservative Christian. About five years ago, I began to think about things for myself, instead of just accepting things I was taught. Now, the more I study and learn, the farther left I get.

Alceste

Vagabond
I voted for the Reform party in the first election I was eligible to vote. That might not mean anything to non-Canadians, but that is the party that took over the progressive conservatives and spawned our current disaster of a Prime Minister.

I grew up in a very conservative province, and absorbed some strange ideas. Mostly I voted for them because I agreed that the Senate should be reformed. (In Canada, Senators are appointed for life - I thought they should be elected). That was my sole experience of being a single issue voter - I soon discovered they hate immigrants, science, education, women and the environment (all near and dear to my heart), and they are making much more progress on those issues than they are on senate reform.

I snapped out of it as soon as I left Alberta. I traveled a bit and lived in a few other provinces. I would say I grew out of conservatism completely by the time I was 19. It's a simple-minded and ineffective political philosophy that routinely achieves the opposite of its aspirations.

Last edited:

lunamoth

Will to love
I have recently decided I am for the death penalty. This is a big change for my overall lifetime liberal view of things.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I used to be a far-far Right ultra Conservative; one of those type of far Right nuts that will talk about this being gods country and if you don't like it's a free country so you can leave.
Looking back I think it's scary knowing I was that type of person, because I was so blind and ignorant and so fully behind it, but as a consolation my past self would have broke down in tears and had a severe anxiety attack to know who I would become.
I was born into a religious family, and then was home schooled through a very Conservative and extremely biased Christian group, and that was when I turned into a monster of a Conservative. And when I got to see and experience some of the world, and learned that much of what I learned in the church was a lie, and a few other rough spots in life, my Conservative ways died a quick and fiery death.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I have recently decided I am for the death penalty. This is a big change for my overall lifetime liberal view of things.
A revolting ode to caution when imposing irreversible punishment.

I'm fine when the penalty's death
but not when applied with great breadth.
Call for great certainty.
Once the blood's spurt'n, ye
never can give back his breath.

lunamoth

Will to love
A revolting ode to caution when imposing irreversible punishment.

I'm fine when the penalty's death
but not when applied with great breadth.
Call for great certainty.
Once the blood's spurt'n, ye
never can give back his breath.

She was picking her daughter up from gymnastics, her 10-year old.

He, a convicted sex offender, took his tracking anklet off at home somehow.

He raped the daughter and killed the mother. And was only caught because they caught him running away through the woods back toward his home.