• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Has the influence of religion improved civilization?

jonathan180iq

Has the influence of religion enhanced civilization?

I'll give you a soft yes.

For a while, it was all we had. And advancements that were made under the song of that muse deserve to be credited to it.
However, the advancements and improvements made outside of religion are happening exponentially compared to their counterparts.
So while religion gets some cred, it's markedly less than scientific advancement.

rusra02

Premium Member
This topic came up in another thread and thought it was deserving of it's own thread. So the title for discussion is in the thread title.

Has the influence of religion enhanced civilization?

For context, has the development of civilization over the millennia been advanced in part through the influence of religious thought and practice?

I have thoughts on it which I'll post later. I'm new to this forum, so I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong section or if this topic has been discussed extensively before. Thanks and look forward to the discussion.
I believe the overall record of religion has been abysmal, even horrifying. One has only to remember the crusades, inquisitions, human sacrifice, the wars fought in the name of religion, and the evil conduct of religious leaders and adherents to see the sad results of false religion.
On the other hand, true religion, IMO, has always served to uplift and dignify it's adherents, and most importantly, to draw them close to the true God.

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I think it is incredibly hard to tell. Mainly because the impact is so intrinsic to the way we have developed. Its like asking if we never had grain. Something would have taken its place.

I have heard it argued that it at one time worked in the place of government which allowed a system of authority that was not challenged and allowed us to work together under a banner of some sort. However I don't think the same logic can be applied today in our current dynamic.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Overall, I think religion has done at least a bit more good than harm, but this is not uniform the world over or with all religions. It does tend to serve as a "glue" that helps to hold a society together by providing common morals and values-- and a good reason to eat and drink.

SpeaksForTheTrees

Has the influence of religion improved civilization?
My guess would be a no it doesnt improve civilization today and cant see how it could of ever improved civilization.
I think the influence of an "ouch" probably influenced civilization a lot more than what could be no more than a pack of untruths.
Civilization built on a maybe by narsasistic humans.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
For context, has the development of civilization over the millennia been advanced in part through the influence of religious thought and practice?

The whole core of modern Western Civilization's culture is most recently descended from European Christianity, itself descended from various pre-Christian cultures which varied depending on the region. (VERY broadly speaking, mind). American culture still has strong amounts of puritanical elements even among people who aren't part of any religion, let alone puritan ones.

This involves all the good and the ill. But this does, of course, beg the question: what constitutes "advancement of civilization's development"?

I believe the overall record of religion has been abysmal, even horrifying. One has only to remember the crusades, inquisitions, human sacrifice, the wars fought in the name of religion, and the evil conduct of religious leaders and adherents to see the sad results of false religion.
On the other hand, true religion, IMO, has always served to uplift and dignify it's adherents, and most importantly, to draw them close to the true God.

What rdeligious atrocities were unlesshed among the masses that were completely independent of and uninfluenced by politicians?

On the other hand,
The whole core of modern Western Civilization's culture is most recently descended from European Christianity, itself descended from various pre-Christian cultures which varied depending on the region. (VERY broadly speaking, mind). American culture still has strong amounts of puritanical elements even among people who aren't part of any religion, let alone puritan ones.

This involves all the good and the ill. But this does, of course, beg the question: what constitutes "advancement of civilization's development"?

Can you describe some of America's puritanical elements Europe has been successful abandoning?

rusra02

Premium Member
What rdeligious atrocities were unlesshed among the masses that were completely independent of and uninfluenced by politicians?
Religion and politics have been having an immoral relationship for centuries. Religions meddling in politics is well known and continues until now. Hiding behind the pantaloons of her political paramours and blaming them for her atrocities will not free false religion from the bloodguilt she has brought upon herself, IMO. (Revelation 18:3-5,24)

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I really wish someone could give me clear comparison parameters.

Historically, religion (however we define it, no small decision in itself) was present pretty much everywhere. That does not necessarily have the implications nor the attributes often projected into it, but it is still true.

Which hypothetical alternative are we talking about?

A humanity with no brain bicameralism at all which never developed the odd notion that it needs a mythical voice to listen to?

A self-destructive community of barbarians who just don't care about each other (and therefore would hardly ever reach three whole generations)?

There are so many other alternatives. But the question is truly about what one understands by the word religion, not about religion itself.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Can you describe some of America's puritanical elements Europe has been successful abandoning?

Consider that our culture's media tends to be perfectly fine with violence, but seems to have this phobia of sexuality. I understand that many European countries have it in the much more reasonable reverse.