• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Has anyone here actually "converted" do a different religion while you've been on RF?

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Wow, that's a big move - congratulations.

Was it a wrench for you leaving Buddhism behind?

Not really. I had been seeing what remained as an institutionalized cultural patriarchy and homophobia, and that I found myself more and more uneasy to reconcile with my own journey.

My aim is to appreciate the teachings more without the label. I found that to be the case after I left Christianity 20 years ago. The Gospels were studied with much more love and ease than when I identified myself as a Christian. I also contemplated much more in my own life what I could glean from the Bible after shedding the baggage of having to live up to a certain mold of what that was supposed to mean. I am looking to have a similar experience with the Dharma now.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Not really. I had been seeing what remained as an institutionalized cultural patriarchy and homophobia, and that I found myself more and more uneasy to reconcile with my own journey.

My aim is to appreciate the teachings more without the label. I found that to be the case after I left Christianity 20 years ago. The Gospels were studied with much more love and ease than when I identified myself as a Christian. I also contemplated much more in my own life what I could glean from the Bible after shedding the baggage of having to live up to a certain mold of what that was supposed to mean. I am looking to have a similar experience with the Dharma now.

That all sounds fab to me. I look forward to reading about it as your journey continues to unfold :)

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Has anyone here actually "converted" do a different religion while you've been on RF?
If so, what role would you say conversations here at RF played in that decision?

Not entirely, though you could say my inner universalist has come out. I stumbled on RF looking for information on Hinduism, which I had already adopted, and a good forum. But because I was previously intrigued with Buddhism and Taoism I've started exploring them, and have incorporated limited (compatible) aspects of Tibetan Buddhism with Hinduism. I'm also taking a closer look at Jesuism via writings like The Sermon on the Mount According to Vedanta (Swami Prabhavananda), Living Buddha, Living Christ (Thich Nhat Hahn), Revelations of Christ (Paramahansa Yogananda), and the Jefferson Bible. Taoism just seems to go with everything... like basic black. :D

MatthiasGould

Alhamdulillah!
I think for me although my interest in conversion to Islam was already there, the internet in general, as well as this forum specifically, helped me to research Islam further, and proved a massive help in really deeply studying the faith even though I don't yet know Arabic, as it would have proven difficult for me to access appropriate materials otherwise.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
No. I became a Christian and then I joined a Church about a year later- back in the early 80s. I have changed very little since then.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Than what ? you tell :)

I'm not the one who claimed to know what the definition is, you were. I know what 'religion' doesn't mean, and that would be the definition you provided, which would exclude many religions, non-theistic Buddhism among them.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
Before RF, I was just drifting, believing in some kind of deity.

During, I converted to Islam but soon had doubts. My main issues comes with some views and aspects, as I'm quite a liberal-ish person. I would find it tough to be in a community that doesn't share my views.

Now I can't say I left Islam behind because I still often think about it. I don't really know what's best for me. I don't know the truth and even if it was in plain sight, I don't know if I'd listen to it because I want things that perhaps I'm not ready to change for or I'm too set in my views. There's a lot to think about.

It's probably one of the hardest thing for me, in present time.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
RF basically allowed me to understand and apply the appropriate label to my beliefs. :)