• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Haredi sub-DIR

Flankerl

Then why do you have this huge problem with letting your political views outside of this DIR?

In fact how about us jews on this forum try to relate to eachother as jews and leave the god awful political ******** of the United States of America that some people actually call "political discourse" out of it?

Just an idea. Because i begin to miss the times when this DIR was in some kind of coma that was sometimes disturbed by trolls and awoken by honest questions.
Now more often then not its about politics. The one topic this forum shouldnt be about.

And all this bickering. "Hey what do you do for a living? Depending on your answer i'll give an underhanded remark on how stupid you are in a way that wont get me in trouble."

Yeah tikkun olam for us and the world...

Iam ******? Yeah iam. Now i'll go to bed only to see more bickering in the morning. Fantastic.

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
Some of the sub-DIRs have few threads (e.g. Humanistic and Reconstructionist) and could be combined.

Creating these sub-DIRs uses almost no incremental memory, maybe just a few bits, you can ask Dantech. So this is no excuse not to create new subs.

The custom forum software RF uses only allows X sub-dirs, so yes there's an 'excuse'.

Avi1001

reform Jew humanist liberal feminist entrepreneur
The custom forum software RF uses only allows X sub-dirs, so yes there's an 'excuse'.

Thanks for the explanation. You did not say what X equals, but I guess it does not matter too much, since we do not use these subs often and most of the posts are in the general Judsism DIR anyway.

In this case, CMikes suggestion of: Orthodox, Conservative and Reform is not bad, because it keeps things simple and gives you back some of those X subs.

We could place a sticky in each sub explaining how that sub is subdivided, like Tumah suggested :).

Just my thoughts.

Last edited:

CMike

Then why do you have this huge problem with letting your political views outside of this DIR?

In fact how about us jews on this forum try to relate to eachother as jews and leave the god awful political ******** of the United States of America that some people actually call "political discourse" out of it?

Just an idea. Because i begin to miss the times when this DIR was in some kind of coma that was sometimes disturbed by trolls and awoken by honest questions.
Now more often then not its about politics. The one topic this forum shouldnt be about.

And all this bickering. "Hey what do you do for a living? Depending on your answer i'll give an underhanded remark on how stupid you are in a way that wont get me in trouble."

Yeah tikkun olam for us and the world...

Iam ******? Yeah iam. Now i'll go to bed only to see more bickering in the morning. Fantastic.
:ignore:

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Here's a suggestion:
Orthodox DIR (with relevant sub-directories)
Conservative DIR
Reform DIR
Other Jewish Movements DIR (with subsections for Reconstructionist, Renewal, Humanist, and any others that are needed)
Parashat HaShavuah DIR

Avi1001

Here's a suggestion:
Orthodox DIR (with relevant sub-directories)
Conservative DIR
Reform DIR
Other Jewish Movements DIR (with subsections for Reconstructionist, Renewal, Humanist, and any others that are needed)
Parashat HaShavuah DIR

I suggest the Parsha be a "sticky" under general Judaism DIR.

The subs for this whole site are divided by religious areas, not other content. The Parsha could also be a sub under general Judaism DIR.

Please see "Sidd's Cafe" in Buddhism. This is a similar issue.

Last edited:

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
I suggest the Parsha be a "sticky" under general Judaism DIR.

The subs for this whole site are divided by religious areas, not other content.

Please see "Sidd's Cafe" in Buddhism.

Sub-DIRs (which is what we're discussing) can be for specific content within a religion's main DIR. It would function just the same as the Reform DIR, in that particiption would be limited to Jews discussing the weekly Torah portion. The section would contain many threads (one for each week, most likely) and could not be contained within a single stickied thread.

It's nothing like 'Sidds Cafe'.

Avi1001

Sub-DIRs (which is what we're discussing) can be for specific content within a religion's main DIR. It would function just the same as the Reform DIR, in that particiption would be limited to Jews discussing the weekly Torah portion. The section would contain many threads (one for each week, most likely) and could not be contained within a single stickied thread.

It's nothing like 'Sidds Cafe'.

It could also be a sub under general Judaism DIR. That is a better fit then with the major Jewish movements.

Avi1001

Avi, that is exactly what I suggested.

Everything I listed would be a sub-DIR under the Jewish DIR.

Sorry, I think you are misunderstanding my suggestion (or perhaps I am misunderstanding yours).

I am suggesting the Parsha not be a sub. I am suggesting it be a sub-sub. That means one level further down below the major movements.

I will draw it like Tumah did:

1) Judaism

A) Orthodox
B) Conserv.
C) Reform
D) Other

Then there are separate threads the next level down. This is where Parsha should go, either as a "sticky" or in a sub-sub folder.

Just my thoughts. Have a great day, guys.

Last edited:

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
The sub-DIRs are the folders we have access to, and I've already explained why a "sticky" won't work. But either way, this part of the discussion is fairly pointless; the software will determine how it is created.

What do you think of my suggested division of sub-DIRs?

Tumah

Veteran Member
The sub-DIRs are the folders we have access to, and I've already explained why a "sticky" won't work. But either way, this part of the discussion is fairly pointless; the software will determine how it is created.

What do you think of my suggested division of sub-DIRs?

I think there are only three Orthodox Jews here, so I don't think we need to divide that. I hear making a parshah DIR, but does that follow the format that other DIRs are taking? Rather than making one long parshah thread, is stickying the current parshah within the Judaism DIR every week an option?

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
I think there are only three Orthodox Jews here, so I don't think we need to divide that.

Heh, it's the same for all of them. We're a very small population here.
To be honest, I think we could forgo the movement DIRs and just post under the general Judaism DIR.

I hear making a parshah DIR, but does that follow the format that other DIRs are taking? Rather than making one long parshah thread, is stickying the current parshah within the Judaism DIR every week an option?

Using a DIR basically turns it into a folder where all the individual parashah threads would go. That way the ones being actively discussed aren't mixed in with other subjects and they are all in one place.

Tumah

Veteran Member
Heh, it's the same for all of them. We're a very small population here.
To be honest, I think we could forgo the movement DIRs and just post under the general Judaism DIR.

I hear you.

Using a DIR basically turns it into a folder where all the individual parashah threads would go. That way the ones being actively discussed aren't mixed in with other subjects and they are all in one place.

Right, the thing is 1. If that doesn't follow the general format of other DIRs, then it might not be appropriate to do that here. Meaning, do other DIRs have subDIRs for some non-denominational topic? 2. I can see someone not so familiar with Judaism saying something along the lines of, "So I'd like to know if Parshah Judaism is the right one for me."

Akivah

We've already got enough divisions in Judaism. Let's just have one DIR for all Jews.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Right, the thing is 1. If that doesn't follow the general format of other DIRs, then it might not be appropriate to do that here. Meaning, do other DIRs have subDIRs for some non-denominational topic? 2. I can see someone not so familiar with Judaism saying something along the lines of, "So I'd like to know if Parshah Judaism is the right one for me."

Yes, some of them do. And we can always place a sticky in it that explains exactly what its purpose is.

Avi1001

After reading all the arguments I vote in favor of Tar's proposal !

Let's roll, dudes :).

Last edited:

Avi1001

Hey Tar, two more suggestions:

1) Rather than call the sub, "Other Jewish Movements", how about just using their names, i.e., "Renewal, Reconstructionism, Humanism...." .

2) Also, what about including some of the emerging streams in this "Other" sub, such as: JuBu, HinJuBu, Jewish Agnostic, Jewish Atheist, Jewish Naturalist ? These could be lots of fun :). I would love to hear Metis and punkd views on these stream names.

Last edited: