• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Haredi sub-DIR

Tumah

Veteran Member
Is there a way to switch the Hassidic sub-forum to Haredi and maybe make Hassidic a sub-forum of that sub-forum? Otherwise, it doesn't make sense to have a separate Orthodox DIR and Hassidic DIR

Orthodox
↓
Haredi - Modern - left-wing
↓
Hassidic - Litvak - Yekke - Oberlander - Sephardic - Yemenite...

It doesn't make any sense.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I would suggest posting the identical OP in the Site Feedback forum.

(BTW: It's really nice having you on board.)

Tumah

Veteran Member
I would suggest posting the identical OP in the Site Feedback forum.

(BTW: It's really nice having you on board.)

I did, over a week ago
was just wondering why there is a Hassidic DIR but not a Haredi DIR in the Jewish DIR. Hassidism is a subgroup within Haredi and Haredi is a subgroup within Orthodox. There is Orthodox and there is Hassidic. If there should be a Hassidic DIR, then shouldn't there also be a Lithuanian, Oberlander, Yekke, Sefardic, and Yemenite subgroups since those can also fall into the Haredi umbrella term?

I got no response.

Thanks!

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
It's something that can be discussed here as well, I think, much like we did with CMike's rewritting of the Orthodox summary. This is our DIR, after all.

I agree with Tumah that the current set-up makes little sense in the grand scheme of things, and I know Avi has asked about a Renewal DIR. Maybe we should put our heads together and suggest some changes to the Admins.

Tumah

Veteran Member
At the very least it's misleading.
I pointed out some issues in the Orthodox summary too, but no response there either.
It doesn't really matter, I'm just saying...

Avi1001

reform Jew humanist liberal feminist entrepreneur
It's something that can be discussed here as well, I think, much like we did with CMike's rewritting of the Orthodox summary. This is our DIR, after all.

I agree with Tumah that the current set-up makes little sense in the grand scheme of things, and I know Avi has asked about a Renewal DIR. Maybe we should put our heads together and suggest some changes to the Admins.

Yes, Metis did a thread on Renewal. I still think a Renewal DIR is a good idea.

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
Thing to remember is there's only so many sub-forum slots to go around across the whole RF.

At six, with a small population, we have quite a few now. Some are virtually dead.

Thing to do maybe is to combine two or more similar viewpoints/traditions in one sub.

Tumah

Veteran Member
Thing to remember is there's only so many sub-forum slots to go around across the whole RF.

At six, with a small population, we have quite a few now. Some are virtually dead.

Thing to do maybe is to combine two or more similar viewpoints/traditions in one sub.

So maybe combining the Hassidic DIR and Orthodox DIR (or just removing the Hassidic one) would free up a slot for someone else.

Avi1001

So maybe combining the Hassidic DIR and Orthodox DIR (or just removing the Hassidic one) would free up a slot for someone else.

Some of the sub-DIRs have few threads (e.g. Humanistic and Reconstructionist) and could be combined.

Creating these sub-DIRs uses almost no incremental memory, maybe just a few bits, you can ask Dantech. So this is no excuse not to create new subs.

Last edited:

CMike

Is there a way to switch the Hassidic sub-forum to Haredi and maybe make Hassidic a sub-forum of that sub-forum? Otherwise, it doesn't make sense to have a separate Orthodox DIR and Hassidic DIR

Orthodox
↓
Haredi - Modern - left-wing
↓
Hassidic - Litvak - Yekke - Oberlander - Sephardic - Yemenite...

It doesn't make any sense.
How are Haredim left wing?

CMike

I don't have strong feelings on this topic, but I would be happy with reform, conservative, and orthodox.

Tumah

Veteran Member
How are Haredim left wing?

Sorry for not being clear, I was listing categories across and the sub of the underlined category was on the line below. So within Orthodox you have haredi, modern and left-wing, then within haredi you have chassidish litvish yekkish...

Avi1001

Sorry for not being clear, I was listing categories across and the sub of the underlined category was on the line below. So within Orthodox you have haredi, modern and left-wing, then within haredi you have chassidish litvish yekkish...

You have left-wing Orthodox ? Do we have anyone like that here ?

Avi1001

Yes, check out Rabbi Avi Wess and Open Orthodoxy.

Thanks, Tar, I had heard there was a new liberal wing in Orthodox, but I had not seen this before.

Avi Weiss, must be a relative of mine (Avi) :)

Do any of the Orthodox here sympathize with "liberal Orthodoxy" ?

Interestingly, I could tell you why this is very understandable for me. I believe liberal beliefs and Judaism fit together very nicely. But for some reason it seems it has not been like this, until Avi....... Weiss :).

Last edited:

CMike

There are certainly orthodox liberal jews.

In my chabad synagogue the majority are politically conservative but unfortunately there are still some liberals.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member

Yeah, that's my concern as well. The vast majority of posts fit well into the general Judaism DIR, and most of the sub-directories are hardly ever used.