• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hamas, innocent Palestinians, and the UN

We Never Know

No Slack
Hypothetically, what action could the UN take?

They could do what they are supposed to do.
Israel has been a member of the United Nations since 1949.

"The purposes of the United Nations, as set forth in the Charter are:

• to maintain international peace and security
  • to develop friendly relations among nations based on respect for the principle of equal rights and self-determination of peoples
  • to cooperate in solving international economic, social, cultural and humanitarian problems and in promoting respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms
  • to be a centre for harmonizing the actions of nations in attaining these common ends

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
One aspect perplexes me - the anomaly - concerning Gaza and its people. How is it that the Palestinians in Gaza are generally considered to be entirely innocent, and mostly they probably are apart from those who fervently support Hamas, but where the leadership of Hamas can carry out horrific crimes (as they did against Israel), with such not being justified by any prior equivalence in the history between the two sides (the sheer appalling brutality of this), given this was about as far distant from any decent morality as one can get?

We seem to have a situation where the civilians are constantly portrayed as the innocent victims all the time but where the associated leadership can carry out such war crimes - so a bit convenient. Is this a bit of an anomaly or even schizophrenic - it's not moral when others do such but it is when we do so? Unless of course the civilian population repudiated such actions. Never going to happen though, is it. And are those living in Gaza also in agreement with being used as pawns (very much sacrificial ones too it seems) in a larger game, involving Arabs or Muslims as a whole, in a vast game of political and/or religious chess?

Unless this is the future - a civilian population claiming innocence and distancing themselves from any leadership which can then do at the same time the most heinous crimes. Most convenient.

Last edited:

Sargonski

Much is being said in the media and RF about how Palestinians are innocent, subjected to apartheid, completely subdued by Hamas, and so on.

For the sake of discussion, let's say that's all true.

Note: I edited the following question after post #4, thanks @Orbit

Why has the UN taken no actions to remove Hamas since Israel unilaterally exited from Gaza? (it's been almost 20 years now)

I totally believe that life in Gaza is horrible. That's it's been horrible for years. If Palestinians cannot rise up to expel Hamas, then where is the UN to help them? The UN (in this case mostly driven by the Islamic faction called OIC), has plenty of time to endlessly condemn Israel, right? How about unseating Hamas instead. If the UN is all about human rights, Gaza seems like an urgent situation, and it has been for years now.

My uncharitable suspicion is that the OIC (Organization of Islamic Cooperation), views Palestinians as expendable pawns in their quest to eliminate Israel.

The US blocked the latest attempt by the UN to take action on human rights .. as it has done numerous times in the past. The UN has called out Israel on war crimes and crimes against humanity on a regular basis in this 7 decade long blood feud .. but every time it tries to do something US blocks it.

The Palestinians have the right to self defence against the occupier .. just like the good citizens of Ukraine. If we would have armed the Palestinians like we did the Ukrainians .. I would venture to guess that these problems would have been resolved long ago ...

Ponder This

Instead of endlessly condemning Israel, they could put some heat on Hamas, Hezhollah, Jordan, Iran and Egypt - all of whom share some responsibility for this mess.
It's true, the U.N. has passed many resolutions pointing out the many violations of Israel against its various neighbors. There's a substantial history of such violations. Israel has also ignored U.N. resolutions.

A resolution to condemn Hamas has been put before the U.N. There are reasons such resolutions have been vetoed. Obviously, there are member nations with reservations and the more member nations in the region you want to paint with condemnation the less likely such a resolution is to pass, but even the U.S. has vetoed such a resolution because it failed to "mention Israel's right of self-defence".

They are well known for not taking much action for anything imo.
If by "action" you mean "pass a resolution". The U.N. has passed many. In the case of Israel, it can be said that many U.N. resolutions have had very little effect on curbing violent behavior. Only occasionally will a U.N. resolution will have a noticable impact. Also, it takes time for a U.N. resolution to pass.

They could do what they are supposed to do.
Israel has been a member of the United Nations since 1949.

"The purposes of the United Nations, as set forth in the Charter are:

• to maintain international peace and security
  • to develop friendly relations among nations based on respect for the principle of equal rights and self-determination of peoples
  • to cooperate in solving international economic, social, cultural and humanitarian problems and in promoting respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms
  • to be a centre for harmonizing the actions of nations in attaining these common ends
Resolutions have been proposed and discussed. Resolutions are being proposed and discussed. That is the U.N. They are not a dictator that can instantly declare whatever it wants on a whim.
While Israel is a member state of the U.N., that doesn't mean that Palestine isn't also recognized by the U.N. as a non-member state.
Moreover, the U.N.'s method is not to be, itself, a cause of violence in the supposed aims of peace and security.
You say, they should do "what they are supposed to do". Doesn't "what they are supposed to do" include deliberation and discussion with the aim to promote friendly relations among nations, cooperation in solving international problems, and harmonzing the actions of nations in attaining common ends? Perhaps, the U.N. is already doing what the U.N. is supposed to do and doing it in the manner that it has been designed to do it.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
You say, they should do "what they are supposed to do". Doesn't "what they are supposed to do" include deliberation and discussion with the aim to promote friendly relations among nations, cooperation in solving international problems, and harmonzing the actions of nations in attaining common ends? Perhaps, the U.N. is already doing what the U.N. is supposed to do and doing it in the manner that it has been designed to do it.

I'm of the opinion that the UN is often coerced by the OIC, any thoughts on that?

ZooGirl02

The situation with Palestine is not good. I honestly feel very sorry for them, although I side more with Israel when it comes to the war going on. Hamas is a terrorist group, and they do need to be eliminated. Israel has a right to live free from the threat of attack. But then again, Palestine also has a right to live in peace, and they have a right to not be persecuted by the Israelis. I've read different things about mistreatment from the Israeli side, but that doesn't justify Hamas' actions.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I think that Turkey democratically elected this leader who said these things.

Turkey doesn't belong in the European Union. Because of the people who have this ideology.
We Europeans need to preserve ourselves from people who have this destructive ideology.

Last edited:

Colt

Much is being said in the media and RF about how Palestinians are innocent, subjected to apartheid, completely subdued by Hamas, and so on.

For the sake of discussion, let's say that's all true.

Note: I edited the following question after post #4, thanks @Orbit

Why has the UN taken no actions to remove Hamas since Israel unilaterally exited from Gaza? (it's been almost 20 years now)

I totally believe that life in Gaza is horrible. That's it's been horrible for years. If Palestinians cannot rise up to expel Hamas, then where is the UN to help them? The UN (in this case mostly driven by the Islamic faction called OIC), has plenty of time to endlessly condemn Israel, right? How about unseating Hamas instead. If the UN is all about human rights, Gaza seems like an urgent situation, and it has been for years now.

My uncharitable suspicion is that the OIC (Organization of Islamic Cooperation), views Palestinians as expendable pawns in their quest to eliminate Israel.
At the end of the day, underneath all of the bs is antisemitism! The double standard in how Israel is supposed to respond as a state to a massive attack on its civilian population reveals the pre-existing hatred for the Jews! Same Hitler different rationalization!

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Coerced? Why?

My claim is that the UN is often coerced by the OIC...

OIC stands for Organization of Islamic Cooperation. It has 57 member countries. It is a huge voting block in the UN. Not surprisingly, its agenda is to to further Islamic causes. So it coerces the UN to further its agenda, correct?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member

OIC stands for Organization of Islamic Cooperation. It has 57 member countries. It is a huge voting block in the UN. Not surprisingly, its agenda is to to further Islamic causes. So it coerces the UN to further its agenda, correct?
Yes.
Also considering the enormous economic power that those fundamentalist countries of the Gulf have.
And the number of bribable, treacherous individuals in the West.

Colt

Islam_percent_population_in_each_nation_World_Map_Muslim_data_by_Pew_Research.svg.png