• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Halloween, celebrating Satan's birthday?

Starsoul

Truth
is that really so? what do people actually think of halloween and do people celebrate it so religiously just because its fun, and everybody's doing it?

the following narrative is taken from a source, I just wanted to know why people celebrate halloween, and if it really is a part of any organized religion or anything else, or even just a fun holiday, how do people celebrate something on such a vast scale without specifying its importance....The narrative is not in any way related to my personal views..Its an excerpt from a christian's article.

Celtic New Year

October 31 is the most important day in the satanic year. [It is known as the devil's birthday.] It marks the Celtic new year. It was the end of the growing season. It became a festival of death. On this day, the god of the Celtics was to have called up the spirits of the wicked dead who had died during the past year. At the same time, other evil spirits arose and went about the countryside harassing the people. On October 31, the Celtics expected to be harassed by ghosts, evil spirits and demons; and it was no fun and games to them. They would light bonfires to guide the spirits to their own town and to ward off evil spirits.
DRUIDS

The Celtics had priests called druids. On October 31, the druids went from house to house demanding certain foods, and all those who refused were cursed. The people were tormented by means of magic. As they went, the druids carried large turnips which they had hollowed out and on which they had carved demon faces as charms. Each one was believed to contain the demon spirit that personally led or guided that priest: his little god.
DIVINATION

Those who practiced fortune telling and divination found that this was the night that they had the most success. They called upon satan to bless their efforts. One form of divination was to put apples in a tub and bob for them. The one who first successfully came up with one without putting them in his teeth was to have good luck throughout the year. They would then peel the apples and throw the peeling over their shoulders and then quickly look around. They expected to see a vision or an apparition of the one they were to marry.
SACRIFICES

These things happened several centuries before CHRIST. Sacrifices were made to the gods, especially the god of death - Samhain (pronounced Sah win). Sacrifices all the way from vegetable to human were offered. This went on and on, and, in some parts of the world, still goes on today.
8th CENTURY

In the 8th century, the Pope, in an effort to get the people to quit the festival of Sam hain, invented All Saints Day (Nov. 1). This was an attempt to get the people to turn away from the horrible observance of Sam hain. All Saints Day was intended to honor the martyrs of the Roman persecutions. It did not work! It never works to Christianize a pagan holiday. The holy and the profane do not mix.
THE MIDDLE AGES

In the Middle Ages, there was a great revival of satanic practices and witchcraft and magic - like there is today. During this time the belief developed that witches traveled on broomsticks to the black Sabbaths to worship satan on October 31. They were guided by spirits in the form of black cats. The Druids worshiped cats believing them to be reincarnated evil people.
CHURCH INVOLVEMENT

This festival of death has survived all the efforts of the church to stamp it out. The church is joining the opposition by celebrating this festival.
All Saints Day became All Hallows Day. Hallow means holy or sacred. October 31 is the evening before All Hallows Day and came to be called in the western world all hallows evening and then all hallows een. Een is an abbreviation for evening. Finally, the word was reduced to the way we have it today, Halloween. That's where the name came from, and even if it is called all hallows evening, it has nothing to do with Christian faith, and it never did.
MODERN HALLOWEEN

Now let's look at the present day celebration of Halloween. Isn't the whole theme one of darkness, death, fear, threats, destruction and evil? There are witches, broomsticks, bats, owls, ghosts, skeletons, death, and monsters. You dress up your children as demons and witches and ghouls and monsters and werewolves and send them out into the street in the darkness to reenact the Druids' practice of demanding food from people under threat of tricks (or curses) if they don't comply.

You take, not a turnip, but a pumpkin and carve demon faces in it and decorate with it.

At Halloween there will be apple bobbing, divination, fortune telling, haunted houses, candles lit and spirits called up. There will be seances and ouija boards in the name of fun and excitement. There will be sacrifices of dogs, cats, rats, chickens, goats and even humans!
You say, "Well, we don't take it seriously." But the devil does and so does God. Particularly this is true when the Church which He purchased with His own precious blood builds houses of horror in its fellowship halls so that the little lambs who have been entrusted to its care can be terrified and opened up to invading spirits of fear and torment and confusion.

(Sourced )

Last edited:

Twig pentagram

High Priest
How in the **** does satan have a birthday? You have to actually be born to have a birthday. This is the type of thinking that sparked my rebel uprising. :fight:

Starsoul

Truth
It ain't a humurous post, neither targetting any religion, with undue respect, as it really isn't a part of any religion unless people THINk it is. You obviously couldn't say why halloween is celebrated ...or can you?

Last edited by a moderator:

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Celtic New Year

October 31 is the most important day in the satanic year. [It is known as the devil's birthday.] It marks the Celtic new year. It was the end of the growing season. It became a festival of death. On this day, the god of the Celtics was to have called up the spirits of the wicked dead who had died during the past year. At the same time, other evil spirits arose and went about the countryside harassing the people. On October 31, the Celtics expected to be harassed by ghosts, evil spirits and demons; and it was no fun and games to them. They would light bonfires to guide the spirits to their own town and to ward off evil spirits.

Isn't that a good thing?

Besides, times have changed.

The Celtics had priests called druids. On October 31, the druids went from house to house demanding certain foods, and all those who refused were cursed. The people were tormented by means of magic. As they went, the druids carried large turnips which they had hollowed out and on which they had carved demon faces as charms. Each one was believed to contain the demon spirit that personally led or guided that priest: his little god.

Source?

DIVINATION
Those who practiced fortune telling and divination found that this was the night that they had the most success. They called upon satan to bless their efforts. One form of divination was to put apples in a tub and bob for them. The one who first successfully came up with one without putting them in his teeth was to have good luck throughout the year. They would then peel the apples and throw the peeling over their shoulders and then quickly look around. They expected to see a vision or an apparition of the one they were to marry.

...Never heard that, before.

And they didn't call Satan; that concept didn't exist in that part of the world at the time.

SACRIFICES
These things happened several centuries before CHRIST. Sacrifices were made to the gods, especially the god of death - Samhain (pronounced Sah win). Sacrifices all the way from vegetable to human were offered. This went on and on, and, in some parts of the world, still goes on today.

But not much, anymore.

Samhain today isn't the same as Samhain ages ago.

8th CENTURY
In the 8th century, the Pope, in an effort to get the people to quit the festival of Sam hain, invented All Saints Day (Nov. 1). This was an attempt to get the people to turn away from the horrible observance of Sam hain. All Saints Day was intended to honor the martyrs of the Roman persecutions. It did not work! It never works to Christianize a pagan holiday. The holy and the profane do not mix.

It didn't? Source, please.

THE MIDDLE AGES
In the Middle Ages, there was a great revival of satanic practices and witchcraft and magic - like there is today. During this time the belief developed that witches traveled on broomsticks to the black Sabbaths to worship satan on October 31. They were guided by spirits in the form of black cats. The Druids worshiped cats believing them to be reincarnated evil people.

...again, source?

CHURCH INVOLVEMENT
This festival of death has survived all the efforts of the church to stamp it out. The church is joining the opposition by celebrating this festival.
All Saints Day became All Hallows Day. Hallow means holy or sacred. October 31 is the evening before All Hallows Day and came to be called in the western world all hallows evening and then all hallows een. Een is an abbreviation for evening. Finally, the word was reduced to the way we have it today, Halloween. That's where the name came from, and even if it is called all hallows evening, it has nothing to do with Christian faith, and it never did.

What's the point?

MODERN HALLOWEEN
Now let's look at the present day celebration of Halloween. Isn't the whole theme one of darkness, death, fear, threats, destruction and evil?

No. At least not for the sane.

You may be able to construe it as a way for us to confront and defeat our fears.

There are witches, broomsticks, bats, owls, ghosts, skeletons, death, and monsters.

They're all fake.

You dress up your children as demons and witches and ghouls and monsters and werewolves and send them out into the street in the darkness to reenact the Druids' practice of demanding food from people under threat of tricks (or curses) if they don't comply.

No, we don't. They dress up however they wish (and most of the time, it's as their favorite cartoon character.)

There are no real tricks in modern trick or treating. You either get candy or you don't. Simple as that.

You take, not a turnip, but a pumpkin and carve demon faces in it and decorate with it.

I carved L's symbol onto a pumpkin last year. ^_^

But, understand, demons feed off of fear, not fun. If there's fun and no real fear, they have no real power.

At Halloween there will be apple bobbing,

Yes. (Not at mine; I don't find it fun.)

divination, fortune telling,

Maybe, but not necessarily.

haunted houses, candles lit

You bet! That's all the fun of it!

and spirits called up.

Actually, no. I've never heard this to be a typical Halloween thing.

There will be seances and ouija boards in the name of fun and excitement.

...Ouija boards and seances? Again, I don't think that's very typical.

There will be sacrifices of dogs, cats, rats, chickens, goats and even humans!

Certainly not! I've never heard of blood sacrifices at Halloween parties.

You say, "Well, we don't take it seriously." But the devil does and so does God.

God can't tell the difference between a party and a real Satanic ritual?

Particularly this is true when the Church which He purchased with His own precious blood builds houses of horror in its fellowship halls so that the little lambs who have been entrusted to its care can be terrified and opened up to invading spirits of fear and torment and confusion.

Honestly, I don't think most Churches would decorate their Sanctuaries. (At least, I'd hope not; those rooms are meant for worship.)

Besides, demons feed off of fear. If there's no fear, and in fact fun, they have no power.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It ain't a humurous post, neither targetting any religion, with undue respect, as it really isn't a part of any religion unless people THINk it is. You obviously couldn't say why halloween is celebrated ...or can you?
"Satan's birthday" sure sounded funny. We celebrate Halloween because unlike other holidays:
- We get to wear costumes.
- We get candy.
- We don't have all the cost & familial drama of buying & giving presents.
- We've no perfunctory dinners with estranged uncles.
- Pumpkin pie.
- Ghoulish decorations.
- We don't need to send cards.
- Candy corn.
- Fall colors.
- The last holiday of the year with warmish weather.
- Happy children.
- The Simpsons Treehouse Of Horror episode.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
The point is, modern Halloween is a festival: one that could be seen as conquering fears by turning them into something fun and entertaining.

It also helps stem the natural depression that happens in winter, by, again, making it fun.

Fun is a GOOD thing, as long as it doesn't harm anyone.

And by the way, for me, a typical Halloween party is simply dressing up as something, and watching a Halloween-themed movie (my traditional film is "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!", and I'm trying to get "Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein" added.)

MissAlice

Christianity created satan not the pagans. :facepalm:

Good grief I'm surprised we still celebrate christmas and easter with it being satanic and all.

Last edited:

A Thousand Suns

Rationalist
Does it not logically follow that if a Muslim claims that Satan was born, that there must be a mother, & that Allah must be involved? From such a perspective,
how could it be otherwise? So, if a Muslim makes a humorous post about Satan & Halloween (one of our most beloved holidays), then I may respond in the same
spirit. If this is unacceptable, then I suggest putting the thread in a DIR to cast aspersions upon our holiday without challenge.

No---because it would be against the Definition of God

"Say: He is Allah,The One and Only.Allah, the Eternal, Absolute.He begets not, nor is He begotten.And there is none like unto Him."[Al-Qur’an 112:1-4]

God doesn't has son/mother/father etc

And no one is stopping you from debating logically----unless you abuse

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
No---because it would be against the Definition of God
"Say: He is Allah,The One and Only.Allah, the Eternal, Absolute.He begets not, nor is He begotten.And there is none like unto Him."[Al-Qur’an 112:1-4]
God doesn't has son/mother/father etc
And no one is stopping you from debating logically----unless you abuse
I wasn't the one who posited that Satan had a birthday.
If he had a day of birth, then he had a birth.
If he had a birth, then he'd have a mother.
Who was his mother? Who was his father?

Last edited:

Starsoul

Truth
I'm simply exploring the Islamic perspective. If you seek to dis our holiday, then you should expect vigorous discussion about it.
If Allah exists, I doubt he would be offended by my lowly opinions.
And i see a VERY rigorous and 'relevant' discussion coming my way, 'oh lets insult God!' Nobody is dissing your holiday, if you read my post carefully, i just wanted to know the 'why' behind it, if there is any.

I never used one word against the holiday in my own opinion, like athiests constantly attach insults with respect figures of the believers, its quite surprising they find a' Supposed' link of satan to their holiday offensive, esp. when they don't even believe in the existence of either God or satan.

If thats so, why do you feel its lowly to link it with satan, satan does not exists :shrug: So much for relating emotional reactions with believers huhh, very nice.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
And i see a VERY rigorous and 'relevant' discussion coming my way, 'oh lets insult God!' Nobody is dissing your holiday, if you read my post carefully, i just wanted to know the 'why' behind it, if there is any.

I never used one word against the holiday in my own opinion, like athiests constantly attach insults with respect figures of the believers, its quite surprising they find a' Supposed' link of satan to their holiday offensive, esp. when they don't even believe in the existence of either God or satan.

If thats so, why do you feel its lowly to link it with satan, satan does not exists :shrug: So much for relating emotional reactions with believers huhh, very nice.
And yet....my questions go unanswered.

blackout

Violet.
The christian god is certainly referred to as "father",
and "creator".
I think the islamic god is also at least referred to creator.
"Father", I'm not sure.

Any Father, All Creating god would ALSO be the father of Satan.
It's not rocket science.

Starsoul

Truth
I wasn't the one who posited that Satan had a birthday.
For the record, it wasnt I implying that its satan's birthday, it could just be the author's theory, the point of putting it up was that i've heard this a lot before, so i assumed other came across this as well. So maybe it had a link to stan somewhere even if not the birth.

if he had a day of birth, then he had a birth.
If he had a birth, then he'd have a mother?
Who was his mother? Who was his father?
Who was Adam's and Eve's mother and father, if you believe they were the first people to be created?
Just because i make a clay pot with my hands, i don't become its father/ mother.

If Adam can be created, so can satan. But the difference is that satan was created first( but not as satan, just another being made out of fire as is said in our belief, he chose to be satan to currupt mankind ) given all advantages and keys of the heaven, he chose to throw it all away in jealousy to man, he had a choice. Why am i repeating this, oh well so that you can hurl it all back with insults to my face, thats all you must have to throw back anyway.