• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Guns at the Door

Thief

Rogue Theologian
If it happened as you described, for no reason , then the news reports would have been legion, imo
the event followed a natural emergency
a hurricane

the national guard was then going door to door
confiscating guns

affluent homes untouched by the disaster become targets
home invaders and scavengers are then targets

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
the event followed a natural emergency
a hurricane

the national guard was then going door to door
confiscating guns

affluent homes untouched by the disaster become targets
home invaders and scavengers are then targets
So the National guard decided to manacle that householder, eh. They were under orders and believed that their lives were in danger?
When a National guard reckons that their countryman us going to shoot them down, then they have every right. National guard's would not take such decisions upon themselves, they are under orders.
That householder was probably a reported person, maybe having shot at folks?

This is RF. If you want to make folks believe anything you would need to tell the marines, as Brit Navy folks say.... :)

Thief

Rogue Theologian
That householder was probably a reported person, maybe having shot at folks?
nope....

but likely to have guns registered
and having a home somehow still in good shape......
a target for looters and home invaders

the door to door was done to reduce possible shootings

no warrant

just martial law

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
nope....

but likely to have guns registered
and having a home somehow still in good shape......
a target for looters and home invaders

the door to door was done to reduce possible shootings

no warrant

just martial law

Look as if the land of America knows about its gun nuts.

So you do understand what martial law is, I suppose?

We have similar contingencies here and our authorities can close down and empty a complete area, whole streets, immediately and without much ado.

All those fat rich households, full of goods, full of guns, and prepared to point them, shoot them at any who need to enter for help or succour, those household who clearly don't understand how to bond as a community in severe times........... are they atheists or Christians or what?

Whoever they are I won't be spending any sleepless nights over them, rather for the scores of thousands who went without.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
and back to surrendering your firearms.....

anyone got realistic strategy?
keeping them that is

Shad

Veteran Member
So you do understand what martial law is, I suppose?

Habeas corpus. Merely declaring martial law does not mean law enforcement can do whatever it wants when it wants. As per the Constitution "The privilege of the writ of habeas corpus shall not be suspended, unless when in cases of rebellion or invasion the public safety may require it". The last war America fought was WW2.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Habeas corpus. Merely declaring martial law does not mean law enforcement can do whatever it wants when it wants. As per the Constitution "The privilege of the writ of habeas corpus shall not be suspended, unless when in cases of rebellion or invasion the public safety may require it". The last war America fought was WW2.
So, are you tellimg on the one hand that the US National Guard is a bunch of criminals, or on the other that the residents involved were so crazed as to be dangerous nut nases.??

Which, please?

But it seems to me like a National Guard Officeright have got it right.
:shrug:

Shad

Veteran Member
So, are you tellimg on the one hand that the US National Guard is a bunch of criminals, or on the other that the residents involved were so crazed as to be dangerous nut nases.??

Neither. I am pointing out martial law does not remove the rights of citizens nor due process. Martial law does not make an illegal act legal.

But it seems to me like a National Guard Office right have got it right.
:shrug:

Only because you do not know rights of citizens and the involved laws.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Neither. I am pointing out martial law does not remove the rights of citizens nor due process. Martial law does not make an illegal act legal.

So you hesitate to give a straight answer, but still lean towards criticising your National Guard actions during a serious situation?

Armchair critic?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

Ah........ I think that the OP was referring to the New Orleans disaster.

There were several and varying incidents during that dreadful crisis. The deaths, injured, homeless and lost folks' numbers were huge. The lacks of food, water, shelter and provisions were dreadful.

If a senior cop over-reacted in a few areas, then he over-acted. The one I read about resigned or retired within three weeks of the events.

I also read that the authorities were taking guns off the homeless before transporting them to safety.

Look...... in future, in such a disaster, why don't you just leave everybody with all their guns, both rich householders and starving masses? Good Luck with that.

Shad

Veteran Member
Ah........ I think that the OP was referring to the New Orleans disaster.

Yes. The declaration of martial law does not suspend any/all rights of the citizen in the case of a natural disaster. None of the edicts involved taking firearms from owners without cause. It did restrict the sales of firearms.

There were several and varying incidents during that dreadful crisis. The deaths, injured, homeless and lost folks' numbers were huge. The lacks of food, water, shelter and provisions were dreadful.

Sure. Hence why the declaration of martial law was focused on evacuation of survivors with movement edicts; forced evacs and closed zones.

If a senior cop over-reacted in a few areas, then he over-acted. The one I read about resigned or retired within three weeks of the events.

Sounds like being forced out which is more or a less misconduct based dismissal.

I also read that the authorities were taking guns off the homeless before transporting them to safety.

This is dependent on where they were going. Evacs do not fall under public square nor do all evac sites. If the evac was mandatory there is a problem. If voluntary then the citizen agreed to the terms.

Look...... in future, in such a disaster, why don't you just leave everybody with all their guns, both rich householders and starving masses? Good Luck with that.

A mob does not need guns to be a mob, just numbers.