• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Guns at the Door

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
btw.....as I recall....
it was our boys in uniform.....National Guard....
tasked with the duty of door to door confiscation
would you like to provide a link or citation for this...you seem to recall...seeing it on tv...could you be a bit more specific...maybe just this once?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
it didn't work down south

better homes have better means
and firearms

they put the home owner in zip cuffs and set them on the curb
the house was then searched

no warrant
I'm sure there will be a few lawyers out there willing to take up the case.

I mean if my rights were violated like that I'm pretty sure, eventually, a pretty sizable settlement would be the only recompense.

Twilight Hue

When you see what has already happened to Britain and Canada....... Former examples of free gun ownership. Not anymore.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Someone of authority knocks on your door
he will ask if you any guns
he will then ask you to surrender them
or be arrested

what will you do?
Given that I own no guns, I will probably just tell him so and hope there is nothing more to it.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Someone of authority knocks on your door
he will ask if you any guns
he will then ask you to surrender them
or be arrested

what will you do?

I'll tell him that he'd have to find the key to the lock box I lost about 6 years ago to get to it.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Depends why martial law was declared and the related laws around Habeas corpus. A hurricane is not grounds for it so any warrant-less action or without cause is illegal. The gun owner can refuse in such a situation.

*in the USA
that didn't happen down south
looting had taken hold

authorities were facing possible home invasions
and possible shootings

Stanyon

WWMRD?
What makes you think that most crime occurs in the inner city?

Most gun crime does occur in the inner city, data proves this. If impersonal numbers aren't your thing there are many cities that have "murder trackers" online to keep track of murders often with red dots pinpointing the location and the names, ages, sex, and race of the victims sometimes with pictures. Most murders tend to occur in poorer black areas and the victims are largely young black males. Additionally it is pretty much agreed among police chiefs around the country that %60 of all gun crime is gang or drug related, whether anyone likes it or not that appears to be the truth of the matter.
Look ten random larger U.S. cities up, you might learn something.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
When you see what has already happened to Britain and Canada....... Former examples of free gun ownership. Not anymore.
And yet, overall, the people of Canada are more free than the people of the United States. Funny how that worked out.

Kinda undercuts the whole "guns keep us free" argument, eh?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Most gun crime does occur in the inner city, data proves this. If impersonal numbers aren't your thing there are many cities that have "murder trackers" online to keep track of murders often with red dots pinpointing the location and the names, ages, sex, and race of the victims sometimes with pictures. Most murders tend to occur in poorer black areas and the victims are largely young black males. Additionally it is pretty much agreed among police chiefs around the country that %60 of all gun crime is gang or drug related, whether anyone likes it or not that appears to be the truth of the matter.
Look ten random larger U.S. cities up, you might learn something.
Ah - you've confused frequency with risk. You're not the first person to make that error.

And if you think there are no gangs or drugs in the suburbs or rural areas, I'd say that you've never been to the suburbs or rural areas... or you weren't paying attention when you did.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
Ah - you've confused frequency with risk. You're not the first person to make that error.
And if you think there are no gangs or drugs in the suburbs or rural areas, I'd say that you've never been to the suburbs or rural areas... or you weren't paying attention when you did.

I'm looking at confirmed cases of gun murder not guesswork or supposition, I suggest you do the same. Argue for the sake of argument and sidestep all you want but at least make a minimal effort to educate yourself.
Please

Twilight Hue

And yet, overall, the people of Canada are more free than the people of the United States. Funny how that worked out.

Kinda undercuts the whole "guns keep us free" argument, eh?
Oh I don't know about that. There are enough Canadians that I've come across that complain about loss of Freedom as much as their American counterparts. But then again it's only garnered from Southern Ontario, I can't speak obviously for the rest of the country and what the views are outside of what I hear on media and crosstalk.

Canada's obviously not a dictatorship as actually, it's still a pretty pleasant country overall, yet it's unquestionably getting more and more restrictive as time goes by. Same as here in the US. Personally I think both sides of the Border pretty much in the same boat.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
is there a consensus pending here in this thread?

do we give up the firearm on demand?
at the door

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
is there a consensus pending here in this thread?

do we give up the firearm on demand?
at the door
I'm still waiting for you to supply evidence that this actually happened someplace in the US south at some point in the past. Dates, name of event, source of news about this declaration of martial law and confiscation of firearms and arrest of those who refused to turn them over.

Otherwise, this is just a hypothetical discussion about how many of us are stupid enough to directly resist unjust authority in an emergency situation.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I'm still waiting for you to supply evidence that this actually happened someplace in the US south at some point in the past. Dates, name of event, source of news about this declaration of martial law and confiscation of firearms and arrest of those who refused to turn them over.

Otherwise, this is just a hypothetical discussion about how many of us are stupid enough to directly resist unjust authority in an emergency situation.
pick a name of a hurricane.....look south

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
pick a name of a hurricane.....look south
so, you're implying this happens every time a hurricane occurs anywhere in the American south?
on imposition of martial law
Martial law in the United States - Wikipedia

and, doing your citation work for you
www.nbcnews.com/id/27087738/ns/us.../nra-settle-suit-over-katrina-gun-seizures/

Following Hurricane Katrina, many states passed laws to prevent law enforcement from blanket actions, such as occurred in 2005 on the Gulf Coast.

It does not appear to have occurred anywhere else. Those who had their guns illegally confiscated either had them returned, or were compensated. While a number were arrested, except in cases of prior warrants, they were shortly released and charges were dropped...and many were compensated.

So your OP really hinges on the conditions of the moment, whether there is an emergency situation occurring.

I don't have firearms, but if I did, and it was in an emergency situation, I would turn over my weapons, and record names and any other identifying information for future lawsuits for violation of my civil liberties. The courts have not looked kindly on such overreach by law enforcement.

If law enforcement showed up without proper warrant and when no emergency was occurring and demanded this, I would point out their illegal action and refuse to comply...again, noting names and other details against future.

If they had what appeared to be a valid warrant, then I would comply...but I would doubt that any judge would approve of such a warrant, unless there were good reason to suspect I am a hazard. And again, I would note names and details for future use...