• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Growing a beard for religious reasons - why?

The_Fisher_King

Trying to bring myself ever closer to Allah
Premium Member
For those of you who grow a beard for religious reasons, why do you do it? I'm interested in answers beyond the simple 'for religious reasons' or 'because God says so' or 'because my holy book says so' type. Not looking to debate here, just curious and looking to learn from others' perspectives. Thank you.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Because beards are cool? :D

Probably has something to do with sex differentiation. A lot of faiths ban cross-dressing, so it could be something along these lines. As simple as men have beards because men have beards.

Last edited:

ManSinha

upload_2020-5-24_10-21-58.jpeg

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
For those of you who grow a beard for religious reasons, why do you do it? I'm interested in answers beyond the simple 'for religious reasons' or 'because God says so' or 'because my holy book says so' type. Not looking to debate here, just curious and looking to learn from others' perspectives. Thank you.
My beard is not required as a Falun Gong practitioners:) but honestly the more involved in spiritual life i become, the longer my beard become too :)

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Beside the specific commandment not to shave, the idea of *growing a beard* in Judaism has several mystical dimensions. The most straight forward approach comes from Numbers 15:38. The whiskers are the fringes, and the human body is the garment for the soul. Thus growing a beard is a reminder that each person is a fusion of body and soul, matter and spirit.

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

Beards are perceived by many as a symbol of wisdom and sage-hood.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Beards are perceived by many as a symbol of wisdom and sage-hood.
But not by those who actually have beards.
And I mean real beards, not the "thick shadow" that a lot of people call beards.

Real beards show an abundance of patience.
The longer it is, the more patience.

ManSinha

Could you expand a bit on that?
Oh come on - it is self explanatory - for us Sikhs - it is a reference to the RIshis of ancient India that mostly always had a beard and the addition of the weaponry by the 10th Master creating a Sant-Siphahi or Saint-Soldier. The images of all the 10 Masters are represented as having beards.

The_Fisher_King

Trying to bring myself ever closer to Allah
Premium Member
Oh come on - it is self explanatory - for us Sikhs - it is a reference to the RIshis of ancient India that mostly always had a beard and the addition of the weaponry by the 10th Master creating a Sant-Siphahi or Saint-Soldier. The images of all the 10 Masters are represented as having beards.

So one grows a beard in imitation of the Masters? Any reason why did they grow beards?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
But not by those who actually have beards.
And I mean real beards, not the "thick shadow" that a lot of people call beards.

Real beards show an abundance of patience.
The longer it is, the more patience.

Patience is a virtue of a sage, so the logic still works.

I had to cut my goatee back about two inches because I got tired of the face mask riding up and the goatee looking like a rat's nest when I took it off.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Patience is a virtue of a sage, so the logic still works.
Fair enough

I had to cut my goatee back about two inches because I got tired of the face mask riding up and the goatee looking like a rat's nest when I took it off.
My wife was kind enough to make me a mask that eliminated that problem.

My current avatar is a pic of me.
Except the beard is about three inches longer since that pic was taken.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
My wife was kind enough to make me a mask that eliminated that problem.

I see quite a few with beards sporting a mask that drops to the neck, sort of like a half-face balaclava.

Unfortunately, at work there is only one kind of approved face mask to be worn by team, and I make it a point to wear the same one when I'm in the stores so they know I'm right there with them. It plays havoc on facial hair.

My current avatar is a pic of me.
Except the beard is about three inches longer since that pic was taken.

Nice!

I'll have to wait for retirement to grow one that long.