• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Goverment Shutdown

Shaul

Premium Member
Hate to break it to ya. But Mexico has already said they are not paying for and trump can kiss Mexico’s a** :D
Hate to break it to you but they will have to renegotiate the trade deal, regardless their public posturing statements. They hold the weaker hand in the negotiations.
:p

Prometheus85

Hate to break it to you but they will have to renegotiate the trade deal, regardless their public posturing statements. They hold the weaker hand in the negotiations.
:p

So why is trump asking Congress for 5 billions dollars (and ultimately shutdown the government because he didn’t get his 5 billion) for the wall if Mexico is supposed to pay for it?

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Because your reasons are all anti-Trump.
To look at half a picture is to miss the whole.

You should know better. I'm criticizing the idea, and I'm noticing that BOTH parties have rejected the idea. Sometimes ideas are just bad.

Shaul

Premium Member
So why is trump asking Congress for 5 billions dollars (and ultimately shutdown the government because he didn’t get his 5 billion) for the wall if Mexico is supposed to pay for it?
For several reasons. If the Democrats in the House fold on this they are sorely weakened and are more likely to lose House control next year. Also, if the wall funding is already in place it strengthens President Trump’s hand in the US-Mexico negotiations. It also means the wall implementation happens sooner. Just some of the reasons. Mexico will still pay for it, one way or another.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
So what is your solution? Have the Dems give the President $5 billion of taxpayer money on a wall that is unneeded and the majority of the country is against? How about trump and republicans take the 1.6 billion on border security and open the government, which is what the Dems propose?

I think the whole thing is a pointless distraction, from both sides of the aisle.

One thing that so many people seem to be forgetting is that, in the endless back-and-forth over "whether or not there should be a wall on the border" is that...there already are walls, fences, and barriers along the border. This question has been decided already, by both parties and across multiple administrations. "Whether or not there should be a wall on the border" is not really what this issue is about, and Americans who keep getting distracted by that are falling into a trap of deception and discord.

In an overall budget totalling over $4 trillion, $5b is really just pocket change. I doubt that it's motivated by any genuine concern about saving the taxpayers' money. It doesn't seem likely a battle over pork, either. If that was the case, a deal could have probably been reached. Politicians might say, "Give me some pork for my district, and I'll give you a favorable vote." That's how they get re-elected.

But I don't think it's even about that. If it was, they would have made a deal by now.

If the Democrats are offering a $1.6 billion border security package, and Trump wants $5 billion, then that's a difference of $3.4 billion. So, they can split the difference right down the middle. But I doubt that anything like that is in the works.

Both parties ostensibly believe that there should be some measure of border security. That much they can agree upon. The Democrats aren't complete fools; they know the potential dangers of an unsecured border, so they certainly agree on some security at the border. The dispute is not over "if," but "how much." It seems the Democrats' complaint here is that Trump wants to take the concept of border security to an extreme level. "The Wall" has become more symbolic in what it means to the people. A wall, in and of itself, is a pretty innocuous thing.

Another thing that gets rarely brought up are the Border Patrol checkpoints scattered throughout the border states. They're a real pain in the butt. They can hold you there and search your vehicle if they want. If you're on a bus, they can search your luggage and any bags you brought on board. Everyone is so worried about "walls" out in the middle of nowhere, that few people bother to notice the erosion of Americans' civil liberties. With increased militarization along the border, those who live close to the border are practically under martial law. That's what it's been coming to.

At least in my neck of the woods, there have been various groups and a lot of talk about how insecure and dangerous the border is. There's a certain history that goes along with all of this. And there have always been a fair number of people who have been obsessed about the border. I can't even remember all of the various groups and individuals who set themselves up as self-proclaimed vigilantes along the border. Even a wall would never be enough for them.

Prometheus85

For several reasons. If the Democrats in the House fold on this they are sorely weakened and are more likely to lose House control next year. Also, if the wall funding is already in place it strengthens President Trump’s hand in the US-Mexico negotiations. It also means the wall implementation happens sooner. Just some of the reasons. Mexico will still pay for it, one way or another.

There are no US Mexico negotiations lol Mexico isn’t paying for no wall. Were are u getting this stuff form?

Prometheus85

Um, Mexico will be paying for it. And I don’t ever watch Fox News. So there.

Trump just said that Mexico is paying for the wall via a trade deal. Then went on to say how he needs money to pay for the wall from Congress. He obviously has no idea what he’s talking about, (just like u)

Prometheus85

@Shaul how is trump gonna shut down the government and make Americans pay for a wall he said Mexico was gonna pay for? If Mexico is going to pay for the wall he wouldn’t need congress to appover any funding.

Trade deal?
This makes no sense.

At best, Americans will be more productive under the trade deal, so they'll pay more taxes...but that's still AMERICANS paying for the Wall.

Trumps supporters are not that smart

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Who’s to blame for the government shutdown and why.

There was a budget to fund the government worked out between the Republicans and the Democrats and passed by both Houses of Congress. It was sitting on Trump's desk, waiting to be signed. If he had signed it, the Government would not have been shut down.

He didn't sign it.

So who would you say is responsible for the shutdown?

Audie

Veteran Member
I disagree. This shut down started before the dems took the House, also The root cause of the shutdown was not a bipartisan failure of “job performance,” but rather, the president’s decision to deliberately inflict suffering on the American people, as a means of coercing a coequal branch of government into doing his bidding.
Gwacious, and how Americans do suffer.

Audie

Veteran Member
Hey, man, had Obama said “Give me $5 billion to put up a wall, and republicans refused calling the wall a waste of tax payer money and Obama and the dems shutdown the gov in retaliation would you still say both sides? or would you have called it out for the narcissistic stunt it’d have been? Because that’s what this wall is.

Refuse?
Hell, if he'd done that, the Rs wouldda said,
"Really!!?? Only 5? Sure you dont want 6.2 B??
No, here, take 8. Make sure it works!"