• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Got vintage?

xkatz

I also forgot to mention a set of "Russian dolls" my grandpa got when he went to the USSR. It's a set of 5, with (from largest to smallest) Gorbachev, Brezhnev, Kruschev, Stalin, and Lenin.

I'll see what I can do.

Here's some some of them look like:

I googled those up. From what I understand they're worthless as far as value goes.

I also collect bills and coins, and have some money from the Japanese occupation of the Phillipines. I also have some not-so-vintage (but out of print) money from the Saddam Hussein era.

During college, I had a Mickey Mantle autographed baseball but my deadbeat roommate stole it and sold it for drug money.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Actually Dan, my very first job was as an archaeologist. :D

I was 6 or 7 years old living in Chicago, and not far from our house there were railroad tracks at a point where a couple of the rail lines converged.

Back then, most of the railroad tracks in the city were bordered on both sides by several yards of open land that had lain for the most part undisturbed (except by previous generations of 6 and 7 yr olds) so if you dug in the ground deep enough you never knew what you'd find. My brother and I found all kinds of old porcelain electrical converters, antique soda and milk bottles (the square ones), an occasional old coin or bottle top, even an occasional rusty horse shoe, all kinds of stuff from way-back-when. And remember, when you're 6 or 7 years old anything that's the same age as your parents, or even older, is an artifact from remotest antiquity. :D

I can still remember how much fun it was making those discoveries, feeling like you'd been transported back in time to a time when the whole world seemed like the setting for a Steinbeck novel: holding something in your hand that may have belonged to a Great Depression Era hobo or railroad worker (or a bank robber trying to make his get-a-way by freight train :D) , or just some other 6 or 7 yr old who'd probably become a grandfather or great-grandfather by the time you got a hold of it.

Living history, can't beat it.

Last edited: