• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

GOP signals unwillingness to part with Trump

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
GOP signals unwillingness to part with Trump after riot (apnews.com)

PALM BEACH, Fla. (AP) — Donald Trump has lost his social media megaphone, the power of government and the unequivocal support of his party’s elected leaders. But a week after leaving the White House in disgrace, a large-scale Republican defection that would ultimately purge him from the party appears unlikely.

Many Republicans refuse to publicly defend Trump’s role in sparking the deadly insurrection at the U.S. Capitol. But as the Senate prepares for an impeachment trial for Trump’s incitement of the riot, few seem willing to hold the former president accountable.

After House Republicans who backed his impeachment found themselves facing intense backlash — and Trump’s lieutenants signaled the same fate would meet others who joined them — Senate Republicans voted overwhelmingly Tuesday for an attempt to dismiss his second impeachment trial. Only five Republican senators rejected the challenge to the trial.

So, the impeachment trial will still go on, but it doesn't appear there will be enough votes to get a conviction.

Trump’s conviction was considered a real possibility just days ago after lawmakers whose lives were threatened by the mob weighed the appropriate consequences — and the future of their party. But the Senate vote on Tuesday is a sign that while Trump may be held in low regard in Washington following the riots, a large swath of Republicans is leery of crossing his supporters, who remain the majority of the party’s voters.

“The political winds within the Republican Party have blown in the opposite direction,” said Ralph Reed, chair of the Faith and Freedom Coalition and a Trump ally. “Republicans have decided that even if one believes he made mistakes after the November election and on Jan. 6, the policies Trump championed and victories he won from judges to regulatory rollback to life to tax cuts were too great to allow the party to leave him on the battlefield.”

The vote came after Trump, who decamped last week to his private Mar-a-Lago club in Palm Beach, Florida, began wading back into politics between rounds of golf. He took an early step into the Arkansas governor’s race by endorsing former White House aide Sarah Huckabee Sanders, and backed Kelli Ward, an ally who won reelection as chair of Arizona’s Republican Party after his endorsement.

At the same time, Trump’s team has given allies an informal blessing to campaign against the 10 House Republicans who voted in favor of impeachment.

Trump has a boatload of money and appears focused on supporting Republican representatives and senators in the 2022 elections.

Trump, who craves the media spotlight, was never expected to burrow out of public view.

“We will be back in some form,” he told supporters at a farewell event before he left for Florida. But exactly what form that will take is a work in progress.

Trump remains deeply popular among Republican voters and is sitting on a huge pot of cash — well over $50 million — that he could use to prop up primary challenges against Republicans who backed his impeachment or refused to support his failed efforts to challenge the election results using bogus allegations of mass voter fraud in states like Georgia.

“POTUS told me after the election that he’s going to be very involved,” said Matt Schlapp, the chair of the American Conservative Union. “I think he’s going to stay engaged. He’s going to keep communicating. He’s going to keep expressing his opinions. I, for one, think that’s great, and I encouraged him to do that.”

"We will be back in some form."

His aides indicated that Trump is not currently planning to launch a third party.

Trump aides have also spent recent days trying to assure Republicans that he is not currently planning to launch a third party — an idea he has floated — and will instead focus on using his clout in the Republican Party.

Sen. Kevin Cramer, R-N.D., said he received a call from Brian Jack, the former White House political director, on Saturday at home to assure him that Trump had no plans for defection.

“The main reason for the call was to make sure I knew from him that he’s not starting a third party and if I would be helpful in squashing any rumors that he was starting a third party. And that his political activism or whatever role he would play going forward would be with the Republican Party, not as a third party,” Cramer said.

The calls were first reported by Politico.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
So, the impeachment trial will still go on, but it doesn't appear there will be enough votes to get a conviction.
Conviction was never a possibility. Everyone knew that I think. The second impeachment was significant in itself. Resulting investigations may be productive or not. I have zero expectations of a conviction, yet I feel the impeachment is important.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Trump has a boatload of money and appears focused on supporting Republican representatives and senators in the 2022 elections.

His aides indicated that Trump is not currently planning to launch a third party.
Shows how much distrust there is directed towards the Democrat party.

Instead of this constant pathological fixation on Trump, maybe it would be better advised to see how that division could be remedied to bring back the bipartisanship this country used to have.

Twilight Hue

Conviction was never a possibility. Everyone knew that I think. The second impeachment was significant in itself. Resulting investigations may be productive or not. I have zero expectations of a conviction, yet I feel the impeachment is important.
I think impeachment is pointless now.

There are more important priorities I think.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

Instead of this constant pathological fixation on Trump, maybe it would be better advised to see how that division could be remedied to bring back the bipartisanship this country used to have.

This is so true. This has been going on for 4 years and continues. It only pushed 50+% of the people further away.

I say 50%+ because those who didn't vote are upset at both parties and this just cements their position.

IMV, and rightfully so.

Maybe if they would put just as much effort into helping people, it would be better?

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
It is interesting to see those right of center blaming Democrats when most bi-partisan legislation was stonewalled by... ~checks notes~ a Republican Senate Majority Leader.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

The fact that there are 45 accomplices to Trump's crimes in the Senate does not deter me from wanting a trial. Throwing the actions of cowards, enablers, sycophants and accomplices of his into sharp relief is worthwhile.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
The fact that there are 45 accomplices to Trump's crimes in the Senate does not deter me from wanting a trial. Throwing the actions of cowards, enablers, sycophants and accomplices of his into sharp relief is worthwhile.
I am neutral on the trial. Its a political gamble, so if you feel that it moves justice forward then fine. I don't think it does. If you could convict, sure.

***adding***
To clarify: How much justice came from the questioning of Ollie North? What was the benefit of the Trial of Bill Clinton? There was no conviction in either case. Each person received instead a political boost.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
You have a bird in your hand, but you're going to risk dropping it if you try to walk into the bush to grab two more. Don't undervalue and perhaps squander what has been accomplished by the second impeachment. It is a conviction on its own if you use it properly.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

Apparently you must think that the Pubs can't do anything wrong, so just blame the Dems on this and many other things, right?

Audie

Veteran Member

Third party ruined Theodore Roosevelt's
political career.

Twilight Hue

What priorities are more important, do you think, than seeing to it that the rule of law is being applied to everyone fairly and equally?
The rule of law never was fair nor equal.

Biden or Trump or any high profile elite.

The system is made so each of these people are well above the law by design.

In reality, its a waste of time.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
Did you expect the GOP to be better than the seventy-four million Americans who endorsed Trump?
source.gif

Third party ruined Theodore Roosevelt's
political career.
source.gif

What priorities are more important, do you think, than seeing to it that the rule of law is being applied to everyone fairly and equally?
source.gif