• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

GOP Ohio state lawmaker refuses to wear face mask because faces are the 'likeness of God'

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I think that's slightly better than the woman in the news who
cut a hole in her mask so she could breathe more easily.
7ZVYZV4SRVC53J3ZPNZNRNU5JE.jpg
The poster woman of compromise.

Honestly that's not quite what I pictured it would be.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Just yesterday had a good friend diagnosed as COVID-19 positive. This friend was very diligent about wearing a mask, washing her hands, keeping the distance, etc., etc.
But it didn't matter; she still got it. Now she has to stay indoors while wearing a mask (as if it matters now) for the next few days. Meanwhile, I have been to same stores and places I frequented before the scare, and I didn't take a single precaution. I am totally virus free. What gives?

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Government leaders are expected to behave in a responsible, professional manner. Not like superstitious children.
I wonder if he would expect his doctors to wear masks if he had to go in for surgery.

Again, for the knee jerkish among us, I was referring to Windwalker's post.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Just yesterday had a good friend diagnosed as COVID-19 positive. This friend was very diligent about wearing a mask, washing her hands, keeping the distance, etc., etc.
But it didn't matter; she still got it. Now she has to stay indoors while wearing a mask (as if it matters now) for the next few days. Meanwhile, I have been to same stores and places I frequented before the scare, and I didn't take a single precaution. I am totally virus free. What gives?
Catching the plague is probabilistic.
Your friend improved her odds with safety measures.
You worsened yours by being careless.
But we're all still playing the odds with exposure & genetics.

It's like the centenarian who says she owes her long life
to cigarettes & whisky. The cigarettes are still a bad idea.

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
(as if it matters now)
In many other countries, I didn't read of much debating if asymptomatic people really existed or not. They just started telling people to wearing masks because asymptomatic is being reported, and them not to avoid catching it but to refrain from passing it to others. And really, it's what that are designed and used for. So the stuff of the person wearing it doesn't get on/in others. They'll catch moisture, but they aren't airtight sealed off.
As I explained to a friend, it's just deadly enough to be a scary problem with it being new. And we have no way of knowing who this will be bad for.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
You do realize that most masks are meant to prevent the wearer from spreading it, not from getting it, right?
Not all carriers show symptoms. She might've caught it from you.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
As I explained to a friend, it's just deadly enough to be a scary problem with it being new. And we have no way of knowing who this will be bad for.
Or in what way. Even those who don't die face pain,
hospitalization, & possible long term ill effects.

Btw, a friend (crazy anti-big-business fundie right winger)
went to Menards the other day. He was incensed that they
required him to wear a mask. Menards sells them for a buck
each....pretty reasonable. But he refused! He went back to
his truck to make one from a paper towel. By the time he
finished, they were closed. How dare they! He's the customer!
I try to counsel him on getting along, but for him it's about
being in the right. No compromise!
Should I suggest that he move near you to get away from this?

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Catching the plague is probabilistic.
Your friend improved her odds with safety measures.
You worsened yours by being careless.

It's like the centenarian who says she owes her long life
to cigarettes & whisky. The cigarettes are still a bad idea.

Except for the old lady....

BSM1

What? Me worry?
You do realize that most masks are meant to prevent the wearer from spreading it, not from getting it, right?
Not all carriers show symptoms. She might've caught it from you.

Sooo...you saying that no matter what you do, you might already have it? So what difference does it make what you do? If I have it, why should I care if you get it? You see the problem here; no matter what you do you still may get the virus so why completely disrupt your life and destroy your livelihood? For the record, I haven't seen this friend since Thanksgiving.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Why the hell would she want to?
Being healthier is better than the alternative.
I'm not saying she made the wrong choices.
She did what she wanted.
Instead of her goals, it's an example of how one can beat
the odds doing unhealthy things. But they're still unhealthy.