• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good to be here

forsaking_pride

Hey everyone

I was looking around trying to find a place to discuss religion, and came on this site. I am a Christian, but realize the many negative connotations that are associated with the religion. I want to be a true follower of Jesus, and live my life like He did, befriending the socially outcast, meeting people's needs (physical, emotional, spiritual), and to love like He did. Whenever I read through the Gospels, I am amazed at the love Jesus had for people, regardless of what others thought.

I am also a youth pastor at a small church in northern Minnesota. I am hoping to get some insights into how people view christianity and other religions, and hope that i can incorporate what i learn into my work at the church.

Book Suggestions:
Blue Like Jazz: Non Religious Thoughts on Christian Spirituality by Donald Miller
The Cross and the Lotus by Ravi Zacharias
Jesus, Among other Gods by Ravi Zacharias
Works by C.S. Lewis

john313

warrior-poet
forsaking_pride said:
I want to be a true follower of Jesus, and live my life like He did, befriending the socially outcast, meeting people's needs (physical, emotional, spiritual), and to love like He did. Whenever I read through the Gospels, I am amazed at the love Jesus had for people, regardless of what others thought.
Very admirable indeed. Remember when you are reading the bible, don't put too much weight on what Paul teaches. Paul was not a good man and is a self proclaimed deceiver.
I also recommend a vegan diet, what better way to come closer to God than to stop the needless killing of his animals, not to mention the great health benefits.
An idea some brothers were trying to make happen was a contest to see who can do the most good deeds in a day. However we cannot tell the deeds, so it is difficult to see who wins. If we were to tell of the deeds, then they would be nullified. We decided to try to build up our "book of good deeds" until we die, then see who wins when we get to heaven, God willing.
I try not to group people by having a negative connotation of christians in general due to the numerous branches of christianity. From speaking with different ones, I have found many believe different things. Some believe Jesus is God, some believe Jesus is the literal son of God, and some believe he was a messenger. I think many of the negative thoughts come from the outspoken christians believing that Jesus was God due to the teachings of Paul the Liar.

Lintu

forsaking pride,
Welcome! I like the way you think about Christianity, and I respect the goals you have for your ministry and day to day life. I hope you have a good time here!

Circle_One

Welcome Forsaking_Pride.

I must add, that although I have had many, many encounters with the kind of Christians who would make me think negatively of them, I do not, because I know those that condemn me or judge me for what I believe (or don't believe, as it were) are only a small minority and the majority of Christians are not like that.

Master Vigil

Welcome, I hope you get past the surface areas of christianity and get to the heart of it. And find the goodness in there that can be equated with every other religion. Good luck on your quest and welcome to the forums.

mrscardero

Kal-El's Mama
carrdero and I would like to
welcome11.gif
you
to RF

and please to meet you.

t3gah

forsaking_pride said:
Hey everyone

I was looking around trying to find a place to discuss religion, and came on this site. I am a Christian, but realize the many negative connotations that are associated with the religion. I want to be a true follower of Jesus, and live my life like He did, befriending the socially outcast, meeting people's needs (physical, emotional, spiritual), and to love like He did. Whenever I read through the Gospels, I am amazed at the love Jesus had for people, regardless of what others thought.

I am also a youth pastor at a small church in northern Minnesota. I am hoping to get some insights into how people view christianity and other religions, and hope that i can incorporate what i learn into my work at the church.

Book Suggestions:
Blue Like Jazz: Non Religious Thoughts on Christian Spirituality by Donald Miller
The Cross and the Lotus by Ravi Zacharias
Jesus, Among other Gods by Ravi Zacharias
Works by C.S. Lewis
Thanks for the book suggestions, forsaking_pride and welcome to Religious Education (ReligiousForums.com). :cool: