• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God's limited power

savethedreams

From a Christian Bible perspective,

Is god power limited to a degree?

He couldn't stop or didn't know Satan turned into a snake?
If he stop him before he started then it wouldn't happen...

There is so many cases in the bible , where god didn't step in and change. He allowed bad to happen to cried about it later...

I mean how power is this Christian god Yahweh-Elohim? Does he have the power to do anything and everything change scriptures, change the past, become an avatar, change him mind about the bible..or is he stuck by his word and cant change it?

idk it sounds weak

james2ko

savethedreams

Is god power limited to a degree?There is so many cases in the bible , where god didn't step in and change. He allowed bad to happen to cried about it later...

God's is omnipotent (all powerful) (Revelation 19:6; Isaiah 46:10-11) He simply chooses not to exercise it on mankind at this time, in order to allow His plan to unfold.

Last edited:

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony

There is so many cases in the bible , where god didn't step in and change. He allowed bad to happen to cried about it later...

I mean how power is this Christian god Yahweh-Elohim? Does he have the power to do anything and everything change scriptures, change the past, become an avatar, change him mind about the bible..or is he stuck by his word and cant change it?

idk it sounds weak

The god of the bible is completely limited in his power and his knowledge.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
What A_E said.

Kinda hoping it wasn't the case when I first opened a bible...but the god of the bible seemed to be clueless as to the goings on of its creation and it lacked the ability to control what was happening or even the ability to know what was going to happen.....Not an all knowing, all seeing, all powerful to me....:confused:

james2ko

Kinda hoping it wasn't the case when I first opened a bible...but the god of the bible seemed to be clueless as to the goings on of its creation and it lacked the ability to control what was happening or even the ability to know what was going to happen.....Not an all knowing, all seeing, all powerful to me....:confused:

Is this not making a hasty generalization and begging the question? God claims He is (all powerful, all knowing, all seeing) and you think He isn't. If Einstein, Darwin, ----fill in the blanks with those you admire--- or anyone with much greater minds than ours, were to say something contrary to what we think or believe, would we not be compelled to take a closer look?

Last edited:

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
The interesting thing about the Bible is that, at the beginning, God is portrayed as very active in the world, and very human-like. As the story progresses, God retreats further and further into the background, until God no longer talks directly to people. God becomes more powerful and less human-like, and human beings "step up to the mic."

gnostic

The Lost One
sojourner said:
The interesting thing about the Bible is that, at the beginning, God is portrayed as very active in the world, and very human-like. As the story progresses, God retreats further and further into the background, until God no longer talks directly to people. God becomes more powerful and less human-like, and human beings "step up to the mic."

Not unless you are one of those Christians who believe in the whole shebang that Jesus IS GOD.

If Jesus is God, then why become human in order to deliver his message, instead of through the normal proper channel of using prophets?

smokydot

Not unless you are one of those Christians who believe in the whole shebang that Jesus IS GOD.

If Jesus is God, then why become human in order to deliver his message, instead of through the normal proper channel of using prophets?

You need some filling in on the NT.

Jesus didn't become human to deliver the message that he was God.

gnostic

The Lost One
smokydot said:
You need some filling in on the NT.

Jesus didn't become human to deliver the message that he was God.

So he wasn't born of woman, and died on the cross, like any human could?

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist

idk it sounds weak
The power of God is that which man invest in him. God is the acting principle of the raw power of man's mind. if your god is a women hater, you will be a women hater, if your God is love, you most probably be the kind of man who will always be 'slapped around', if your God is a desert war God, you will be a successful conqueror, etc.

Beta

Jesus as the Son of God was born human in order to identify with us in our sufferings under false rulership (satan). He did more than just deliver a message , he did what no other Human could do.
And who has ever listened to Prophets or considered them perfect and infallible ??? :shrug: ALL Humans (while in the flesh) are lacking in completely understanding God !

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Jesus as the Son of God was born human in order to identify with us in our sufferings under false rulership (satan). He did more than just deliver a message , he did what no other Human could do.
I think Jesus did what many other men have done, get crucified for rubbing the Roman authorities the wrong way. ironically the Romans have used Christianity later as state religion, but by then Jesus has become the banner for conquering armies, and mega churches, so his fundamental message was lost in the pages of time.

Beta

I think Jesus did what many other men have done, get crucified for rubbing the Roman authorities the wrong way. ironically the Romans have used Christianity later as state religion, but by then Jesus has become the banner for conquering armies, and mega churches, so his fundamental message was lost in the pages of time.
You are not looking beyond the grave or the physical events.
If anything is lost it is to those who only see Jesus as a man.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
You are not looking beyond the grave or the physical events.
All we have is the physical.
If anything is lost it is to those who only see Jesus as a man.
Those who see Jesus as a man are those who want to discover the roots of history, those who see Jesus as Divine are those who have been indoctrinated for a certain belief about a Jewish man from Galilee and never considered the simple more logical option, a man which the majority of people around him, both the Romans and the Jews of his time, considered to be a man, a mortal.