• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God's language in Genesis?

dfnj

Wow, that is an amazing conjecture. If it cannot be understood by literal meaning then what is the point of writing at all? just to confuse us?they certainly succeeded n that. Why can't they write it in a manner that does not require translation? How many days are there in an Adamic cycle?what, exactly is it anyway? What does the manifestation of God look like? What is the basis of the 7000 year cycle? Sorry but you appear to be on another level of existence or know something or think you know something outside of this reality.

With only things words I can do practically nothing. God on the other hand....

PruePhillip

The God I met does not Hate, does not judge, is not vengeful, does not murder, nor any of the other man made negative emotions man has endowed the Divine with. So please. continue asking the right questions, that leads you to the truth,

Just today I watched a video that left me a little shaken. Vespasian/Titus and the destruction
of the Jewish temple AD 70. Details included the burning alive of thousands of women and
children. Somewhere between 600,000 and 1,000,000 people trapped inside Jerusalem,
starving, killing, eating one another - and this was before the Romans even began their fight.

I recall where Jesus wept for Jerusalem, and said that even her children would be destroyed.
The Jews did not know the time of their visitation.
Now that's VENGEANCE..

(and after this two thousand years of exile, evicted from over 120 countries and suffering
innumerable pogroms, crusades and holocausts. Now with their return to Israel it's the
Gentile's turn to suffer.)

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Wow, that is an amazing conjecture. If it cannot be understood by literal meaning then what is the point of writing at all? just to confuse us?they certainly succeeded n that. Why can't they write it in a manner that does not require translation? How many days are there in an Adamic cycle?what, exactly is it anyway? What does the manifestation of God look like? What is the basis of the 7000 year cycle? Sorry but you appear to be on another level of existence or know something or think you know something outside of this reality.

The beautiful thing about the Bible is I believe that many mysteries are enshrined in it which are fascinating to discover. They are so accurate that only God could have inspired the authors.

There is even an entire chapter in the Book of Revelation which speaks about Muhammad, the twelve Imams, Ali and the Caliphate but it is in symbolical language yet indisputable once it is understood. The symbolic language in many instances is to separate the sincere from the insincere. These are tests for those who claim to believe.

Like with Jesus. The Jewish priests were tested when Christ didn’t appear as a powerful worldly general and crucified Him not realising when the Bible spoke of the sovereignty of the coming Messiah it was referring to a heavenly not earthly sovereignty, that is the power to change and transform hearts and minds not to conquer countries.

But as the Jews did not understand the spiritual reality of the prophecies they crucified the very messiah they were waiting for.

Chris Lovel

searcher
It's a great set of questions... According to Judaism, God was speaking in Hebrew. Whom he is speaking to is up for debate. There are legends about it. But, I think it makes most sense that God was speaking to Himself.

Further:

If God creates through speech, and we are created in God's image, then our own choice of words when speaking to each other is rather important, isn't it?

I am always amazed at how people believe every word written in the Bible. e.g. God created man in his image. FYI God is not male. May I suggest the truth is the other way round, man created God in his image. Let's look at the facts, here we have an omnipotent entity that is supposed to be unconditional love yet man has endowed it with: Hate, your God is capable of hate, NO! only man is. God is vengeful, why would a loving omnipotent entity seek revenge, that is not loving. God is fearful, you fear unconditional love? only man who does not understand unconditional love would be fearful. God is jealous, really? of what? The Divine has no needs so what is there to be jealous of? man is a jealous being. It goes on, punishment, for what? what can you do to the divine that would in any way affect it and that requires punishment, man will punish. How about cruelty, violence, murder, cruelty, all man made negative emotions and actions. I rest my case

Chris Lovel

searcher
God is not speaking in Genesis. It is an anthropomorphic cultural human view of God speaking. God does not have a language nor a culture as many diverse conflicting human religions claim.

God is God.

We are the fishes and God is the sea.

Wow, you seem to know a lot about God, God is not speaking in Genesis, God does not have a language nor a culture, where did you learn all this sage knowledge? As for "We are fishes and God is the sea" , I must admit I do not feel like a fish, in fact I know I am not, so where does that leave you? I have the impression that people seem to relate to more to a God if one makes it, (no God is not male) more human, big mistake. During my Near Death Experience, along with millions of others) I came face to face with unconditional love that is the Divine. (God) It was not the God the Bible would have you believe. May I suggest you do a little more research before espousing your inaccurate knowledge of God and misleading other that apparently cannot think for themselves

Good-Ole-Rebel

Nonetheless what I said stands, no problem.

OK.

God is the Author of the book of Genesis. As is the Bible which consists of 39 books in the Old Testament and 27 in the New Testament. Thus when it says God is speaking in Genesis or anywhere else in the Bible, then God is speaking.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
Genesis 1:3 says

And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light

He also says stuff in Genesis 1:6, Genesis 1:9, Genesis 1:11, Genesis 1:14, Genesis 1:20

But here are my questions:
  1. When God spoke in these verses, what language did he use?
  2. And who was he talking to? Why did he speak?
  3. Also: in what language did Adam and Eve speak to each other in?

Dear Eddi,

When my daughter once asked me something similar, I told her that God “speaks” in concepts, not in words.

She asked how we knew that a concept was from God and not from ourselves. I said that Divine concepts feel like Eureka moments and shift your perspective in ways that alter your behaviour towards the outside world.

She pointed out that hatred does that too. I was sad to hear that she knew that - she was not old. “True,” I said, “but a Divine perspective will not leave you hating; it leaves you understanding something from a multitude of perspectives, therefore increasing your compassion and humility, even towards your enemy.”

She said, she did not think God had spoken to her yet.

But between us, I think that if I asked her today, she’d say differently.

Yours humbly,
Hermit

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I am always amazed at how people believe every word written in the Bible. e.g. God created man in his image. FYI God is not male. May I suggest the truth is the other way round, man created God in his image. Let's look at the facts, here we have an omnipotent entity that is supposed to be unconditional love yet man has endowed it with: Hate, your God is capable of hate, NO! only man is. God is vengeful, why would a loving omnipotent entity seek revenge, that is not loving. God is fearful, you fear unconditional love? only man who does not understand unconditional love would be fearful. God is jealous, really? of what? The Divine has no needs so what is there to be jealous of? man is a jealous being. It goes on, punishment, for what? what can you do to the divine that would in any way affect it and that requires punishment, man will punish. How about cruelty, violence, murder, cruelty, all man made negative emotions and actions. I rest my case
Hi Chris, Thank you for the reply. I think you are making some incorrect assumptions about me and my beliefs. You raise many important issues, but, I'm not sure that this is the right thread to debate these specific issues ( Scriptural accuracy, God's gender, God's OmniBenevolence, etc ).

Sincerely,

MNoBody

The language of Love is universal...apparently humans know not of love ......but at times it comes through regardless of the language, the race, the beliefs....despite all those mostly limiting and dividing features....love still is....whatever language "God" may use, that will be its distinguishing quality...by that it is known.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
OK.

God is the Author of the book of Genesis. As is the Bible which consists of 39 books in the Old Testament and 27 in the New Testament. Thus when it says God is speaking in Genesis or anywhere else in the Bible, then God is speaking.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Classic 'circular reasoning' based on a religious agenda. Elmer Gantry has been resurrected.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Wow, you seem to know a lot about God, . . .

No I do not 'know a lot about God.'
I believe by the evidence that IF God exists God is universal without language nor culture that defines different religious beliefs over the millennia.

. . . God is not speaking in Genesis, God does not have a language nor a culture, where did you learn all this sage knowledge? As for "We are fishes and God is the sea" , I must admit I do not feel like a fish, in fact I know I am not, so where does that leave you? I have the impression that people seem to relate to more to a God if one makes it, (no God is not male) more human, big mistake. During my Near Death Experience, along with millions of others) I came face to face with unconditional love that is the Divine. (God) It was not the God the Bible would have you believe. May I suggest you do a little more research before espousing your inaccurate knowledge of God and misleading other that apparently cannot think for themselves

Actually I make no specific claims concerning the the 'knowledge of God' as others who claim their religious beliefs define God as 'only' the real God in their religion, language and culture. I make no such claim.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
It's said, falsely I believe, that Christianity "evolved" from Judaism.

I never made the claim you did believe this. In fact it is obvious that you do not believe this. I believe over the millennia of hundreds of thousands if not millions of years humans have evolved physically and spiritually by the evidence including the spiritual evolution demonstrated in the Bible.

Those ancients who gave us the Hebrew bible was quite prescient
in their Messianic vision, and seeing that the Jewish people would
not be like the Akkadians, Edomites, Moabites etc but a unique
people who would maintain their genetic, cultural and territorial
heritage long after all their fellow peoples were gone.
And in the same light, so too was the religion of the Jews unique.

By the evidence they are all fallible humans, and no more unique than any other culture in the history of humanity.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
The big problem is these people had no concept of the nature of the universe and the divine so they wrote these stories that have no relationship to reality. We know far more about the nature of the Divine (God) now than they ever did 2000 years ago
They didn’t have scientific knowledge of the physical universe, but their spiritual wisdom regarding the spiritual nature of the universe is vast.

your assessment of knowledge here is without basis.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
They didn’t have scientific knowledge of the physical universe, but their spiritual wisdom regarding the spiritual nature of the universe is vast.

your assessment of knowledge here is without basis.

No more vast and enlightened than the other religions and spiritual traditions of the world such as Buddhism and Native American spiritual traditions,

sojourner

Wow, that is an amazing conjecture. If it cannot be understood by literal meaning then what is the point of writing at all?
First, its point is that it’s a written record of the collected myths, stories, poetry, and Tradition of the Judaic people and early Christians. Second, much of it is mythic. Myth is symbolic, allegorical and metaphorical.

just to confuse us?they certainly succeeded n that.
You, perhaps. Many scholars don’t find it “confusing” because they understand the cultural, historic, and literary implications of the texts.

Why can't they write it in a manner that does not require translation?
Why can’t you learn ancient Hebrew and Koine Greek?

you appear to be on another level of existence or think you know something outside of this reality.
Appearances aren’t everything.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
No more vast and enlightened than the other religions and spiritual traditions of the world such as Buddhism and Native American spiritual traditions,
Victor Matthews, Don Benjamin, Richard Lowery, Juris Zarins...

A partial selective list does not justify the wisdom of any religion or world view over another. The list can approach infinity with the diverse individuals from many cultures and religions,

sojourner

Anthropomorphism is a biblical reality.

sojourner

OK.

God is the Author of the book of Genesis
A biased belief — not a studied assessment.

A partial selective list does not justify the wisdom of any religion or world view over another. The list can approach infinity with the diverse individuals from many cultures and religions
He asked for examples; I gave him a couple of the ones I happen to be familiar with. And these are hardly religious views — nor do they represent particular religious world views.