• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

GOD - what's your take on Him

tomspug

Absorbant
Well, I chose to believe in God because of what I was taught about Him, which appealed to me at the time (being raised in a Christian home). Since then, I have found affirmation for my faith by receiving constant answers to prayer. To me, prayer is the number one affirmation of faith. The prerequisite of prayer, of course, is faith. So it's not something you can PROVE before believing in God, but it is something that affirms it. That's the tricky thing about faith. There's no way to justify it BEFOREHAND. It's an investment.

I see the fact that I am still a Christian after all of the things I have prayed for and been through is a good justification of faith. I think prayer is a major factor in general.

autonomous1one1

Premium Member
Wow. I think I only understood the 'Greetings kadzbiz' part.
:) Yes, I always try to tell it like it is rather than be mysterious. :) Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction. There are some who might understand.

Best Wishes my Christian friend,
a..1

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
It doesn't matter what faith you follow or why you follow it. What I want to know is what has GOD done for you to believe in Him?
God DOES nothing. It is all "me". But I believe I am a-part of god, and that therefore, my doing is god's doing.

EDIT: Wait, I didn't really answer the question.

attempt 2:
God does nothing, and so it is not something that GOD did. I believe god exists because of what I have heard, read, written, seen. In one word; experienced.

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
Super Universe said:
Okay, I'll make it extremely simple for you. An infant smiles and laughs when I tickle his feet. To me, this proves God exists because if not there would be no happiness at all.

Following that logic:

A girl feels intense pain when I poke her with a sharp object . To me this proves there is an equally powerful Devil (God of Evil), because if not there would be pain at all.

kadzbiz

By consoling/strengthening/continuing to love even at my darkest...Because, I did not...

But HOW did He console & strengthen you? What makes you believe it was anything but you who did these things?

What He has done for me to believe is give me senses and a mind. My senses and my mind see God in everything, much like Maggie 2's post above.

Maggie's post was nice. I am of a similar view. But your senses and mind are a production of your own body's physical make up. Why do you attribute this to God?

God has given me life.......God has comforted me in times of sadness........I had fasted and prayed that we could find some new people to teach.........Another example is when we were studying our 'Preach My Gospel' guide and for one week the things we learned each day was directly applicable to that day. IN one instance we were walking down the road past a house. A scripture we had read earlier that day popped into my head. Then I felt that we should go to the house and talk to the people there. I was about to tell my companion but just before I did he spoke up and said that he felt we needed to go to that house......

Your parents gave you life. God has comforted you how exactly? The other examples you give could also be attributed to the power of "The Law of Attraction", which I do believe in.

Greetings kadzbiz. For me to believe, God gave God by overcoming the last step in dissolution of estrangement.

You may be mysterious, but it doesn't help me understand you.

Well, I chose to believe in God because of what I was taught about Him, which appealed to me at the time ....... the fact that I am still a Christian after all of the things I have prayed for and been through is a good justification of faith. I think prayer is a major factor in general.

I wonder if you had never been made aware of God (practically impossible these days) but had the presence of mind to think positively about your wishes, needs, goals, etc, whether you would have achieved the same outcome?

tomspug

Absorbant
I wonder if you had never been made aware of God (practically impossible these days) but had the presence of mind to think positively about your wishes, needs, goals, etc, whether you would have achieved the same outcome?

You'd think that, wouldn't you? If I didn't have God, my life would be a mess. If I was perfect and didn't need God, maybe yes, everything would have turned out the same. I doubt it though, especially with where my faith has led me. I don't expect you to understand, but I can assure you that I do not believe that anything I have accomplished was because of my own actions.

If you have further questions, I'd prefer you PMing me because I'm not comfortable sharing my actual experiences for everyone to see.

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
tomspug said:
You'd think that, wouldn't you? If I didn't have God, my life would be a mess. If I was perfect and didn't need God, maybe yes, everything would have turned out the same. I doubt it though, especially with where my faith has led me. I don't expect you to understand, but I can assure you that I do not believe that anything I have accomplished was because of my own actions.

It is hard to reason situations like this. For example, if you are trying hard to achieve something and pray about it, and you succeed greatly, is it because God helped you or because your prayers helped you to focus your concentration? There is a reason why scientists, when they test new drugs, use double-blind trials.

Personally, I have found that praying to God, Lucifer, Satan, or Set helps my concentration a little (at least why I was practicing with knives).

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
It doesn't matter what faith you follow or why you follow it. What I want to know is what has GOD done for you to believe in Him?

I don't believe in an all-powerful creator god, but if such a deity exists that jealously and possessively demands this kind of belief from us, he or she is surely in need of a Big Squishy Hug for suffering so much. :rainbow1:

Peace,
Mystic

tomspug

Absorbant
It is hard to reason situations like this. For example, if you are trying hard to achieve something and pray about it, and you succeed greatly, is it because God helped you or because your prayers helped you to focus your concentration? There is a reason why scientists, when they test new drugs, use double-blind trials.

Personally, I have found that praying to God, Lucifer, Satan, or Set helps my concentration a little (at least why I was practicing with knives).

The thing is, though, that would make sense if your prayers always ended being answered in the way you expect them to. But most of the time, they aren't. God takes you in a totally different direction that you didn't even consider. God answers prayers, but usually not in the way you expect.

Answered prayers does not always equal 'gives you what you want'.

autonomous1one1

Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by autonomous1one1
Greetings kadzbiz. For me to believe, God gave God by overcoming the last step in dissolution of estrangement.
Wow. I think I only understood the 'Greetings kadzbiz' part.
...You may be mysterious, but it doesn't help me understand you.....
:)Greetings. My post wasn't meant to be mysterious. It is a direct answer to the OP but its impossibility for understanding without background makes it seem mysterious. Thanks for your interest, I will try to explain more.

My view is that there is estrangement from God just by nature of one's conventional self-identity as a finite human being. However, there is a breakthrough experience that overcomes the estrangement and oneness with God is realized. I have posted the description many times that 'the being realizes identity with the Source of all being.' This is a breakthrough because it involves an extraordinary way of knowing, expands awareness, and overcomes the subject-object (self-world) structure and space-time of finitude. As another RFer, Zenzero, has posted, 'seer and that seen merge.'

As you might recognize, this experience
often is described as a mystical experience. One can follow paths of knowledge & contemplation, meditation & stillness of the mind, and love & good works but not be assured of the breakthrough. In my case, the final was a step that I did not expect or control and seemingly was 'given.' Before this experience, this 'dissolution of estrangement,' I was agnostic, viewed myself as finite only, and sought only understanding. Whether the last step is thought by others to be deep from within or from God is irrelevant because the two had merged to one.:)

Hope that helps. Thanks again for your interest.
a..1

wednesday

Jesus
If God is who he says he is why must he take our loved ones away from us? Why must poverty destroy his own people? Why do we massacre each other?

If theres a God he doesn't live here anymore in my opinion

maggie2

But your senses and mind are a production of your own body's physical make up. Why do you attribute this to God?

I don't think I said that I attribute my senses to God. What I did say is that I sense God in part through my senses, through what I see and taste and smell and so on.

Again, I'll say that I see God as the energy that infuses all of life. Therefore, I see God in all people and things.

kadzbiz

.....If I didn't have God, my life would be a mess. ......

Only if you allowed it.

Because it seems 'right'.

An exceptional answer. Well done.

......Answered prayers does not always equal 'gives you what you want'.

How do you ascertain if a specific prayer has been answered or if destiny just played itself out then? Why attribute change to an influence of God?

Which God/Goddess are you talking about?

Indeed, an excellent question.

I don't think I said that I attribute my senses to God. What I did say is that I sense God in part through my senses, through what I see and taste and smell and so on.

Again, I'll say that I see God as the energy that infuses all of life. Therefore, I see God in all people and things.

I was quoting stephenw, not you maggie2. :)

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
Your parents gave you life. God has comforted you how exactly? The other examples you give could also be attributed to the power of "The Law of Attraction", which I do believe in.

Without God's protection I woulsd surely die. If God were to stop keeping the life giving forces within my body going. My body would cease to function. Also I was(as well as everyone else on this earth) a spirit child of God before I came to this Earth. My parents are mearly the parent of my physical body.

During times of sorrow or fear. I feel comforted in prayer or reading the scriptures. I attribute this to God.

The Law of Attraction? Isn't that when two opposites attract and two of the same polarities repel?

kadzbiz

Without God's protection I woulsd surely die. If God were to stop keeping the life giving forces within my body going. My body would cease to function. Also I was(as well as everyone else on this earth) a spirit child of God before I came to this Earth. My parents are mearly the parent of my physical body.

During times of sorrow or fear. I feel comforted in prayer or reading the scriptures. I attribute this to God.

The Law of Attraction? Isn't that when two opposites attract and two of the same polarities repel?

We will all die. Christian children as well as old athiests. I have always advocated that religion and the bible can be a good thing for people, as long as they don't negatively impact on anyone else. The OP was just to discover WHY people here at RF had their belief in God.

Your definition of the Law of Attraction is partly correct, but not what I was refering to. Law of Attraction also known as The Secret

Rolling_Stone

The neat thing about God is that he doesn't have to do anything to give me me except BE. In the words of the immortal Stan Lee: " 'Nuff said."

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
We will all die. Christian children as well as old athiests.

Yes. I believe God does the same thing I said with other people as well not only myself. And not only believers. But of course God has His plans for everyone. So if I was to die or be seriously injured today then that would also be considered part of the plan as well.

I have always advocated that religion and the bible can be a good thing for people, as long as they don't negatively impact on anyone else. The OP was just to discover WHY people here at RF had their belief in God.

I agree. I believe that most religion is for the betterment of mankind. Even if it doesn't agree with mine as long as it helps people become better.

Your definition of the Law of Attraction is partly correct, but not what I was refering to. Law of Attraction also known as The Secret

I'll have to read those links.