• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God or team of Gods

confused453

Why would the universe be created by one God, and not by a team of Gods?
I think team of Gods sounds more reasonable.

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I think it sounds more reasonable too, but I'm a Neopagan and thus a polytheist, so I'm obviously very biased on this.

On the other hand, I also feel playing the numbers game with the gods is sort of missing the point. Outside my window there is a forest. Or I can call it a bunch of trees. It's a singular entity if I call it a forest. It's a thing of many if I call it a bunch of trees. Whatever. It's a forest and a bunch of trees, yet neither of these capture what it really is.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Would would the universe be created by one God, and not by a team of Gods?

I take more the eastern (Hindu) thinking, so I would agree and disagree with your team of Gods thought.

God can be viewed as a team of gods, but these gods are not independant entities. They are still all aspects of the one God.

tempter

If a god is indeed supreme, it wouldn't be restrained by our own understanding of life. One god would suffice.
But gods are created by people, so in that regard, the more "gods" the better - the more it makes sense to us.

jasonwill2

I take the pantheist view, but that part of God split off of his uncreated self before the larger part became creation... so no. it only makes sense to me that the Universe is god, and that his other pieces overlook creation. Hence one god that splits into others. Though there are lesser gods that are transcendent souls of once living creatures in that system.

outhouse

Atheistically

before Israelites monotheism was 600+ years of polytheism and a group or should I say family of gods

El the father of all gods, Yahweh his son the warrior god, Asherah at times a consort to both El and Yahweh depending on which culture and time. and Baal worshipped more in peaceful times.