• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God of love...

I am sure you have heard this question before, please indulge me and explain it again. If God is a god of love, how can he send me to hell because I don't accept Jesus. I am a better behaved man than most. What is the reason for me being sent to eternal anguish? How can God be called a god of love if he sends the majority of the population to hell?

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Creating fear in someone gives you power over them. Not important if the fear is real or not. Enough if they just believe in it.
[the God you talk about is human created to have power over them and earn some money in the process]

Last edited:

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
I am sure you have heard this question before, please indulge me and explain it again. If God is a god of love, how can he send me to hell because I don't accept Jesus. I am a better behaved man than most. What is the reason for me being sent to eternal anguish? How can God be called a god of love if he sends the majority of the population to hell?

You do understand, I assume, that there are religions other than Christianity and that even within Christianity there are different beliefs regarding what happens after death.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Do you believe such a place and feelings exist in order to actually experience hell?

whirlingmerc

God loves His holiness. He can satisfy that by having you glorify God leaning on His work on the cross being redeemed and paid for by His Son.... or he can satisfy that by showing judgement sending you away from the enjoyment of His glory

It is consistent

PureX

Veteran Member
The idea is that we send ourselves to hell by refusing to acknowledge and appreciate that divine love, and by not allowing ourselves to become a living expression of it, as we were intended. The anguish happens because of what we have made of ourselves through our choices in life, and then once dead, we have no way of correcting it.

I'm not saying I agree with this as a scenario, I'm just saying that this is the reasoning behind the idea of 'eternal damnation'.

whirlingmerc

The idea is that we send ourselves to hell by refusing to acknowledge and appreciate that divine love, and by not allowing ourselves to become a living expression of it, as we were intended. The anguish happens because of what we have made of ourselves through our choices in life, and then once dead, we have no way of correcting it.

I'm not saying I agree with this as a scenario, I'm just saying that this is the reasoning behind the idea of 'eternal damnation'.

Being better behaved than most? It's not like God has to grade on a curve.
Does a person love and thank God purely? Do they even live up to the rules they apply to others?
No

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle

According to some(outlawState), we were made to not understand, with zero possibility of understanding, and thus are doomed to hell.

Seems like the authors put passages in the Bible to make them superior to those that either try and fail to grasp the concept of god, or believe in something else.

God loves His holiness. He can satisfy that by having you glorify God leaning on His work on the cross being redeemed and paid for by His Son.... or he can satisfy that by showing judgement sending you away from the enjoyment of His glory

It is consistent
Jesus paid the price for what?

These Christians merely mumble what they were told or what they rationalized without thinking about the reality of real eternal punishment. Indoctrinated.

Last edited:

PureX

Veteran Member
Being better behaved than most? It's not like God has to grade on a curve.
Does a person love and thank God purely? Do they even live up to the rules they apply to others?
No
We will never be 'perfect'. But we are told that we can trust in God's forgiveness to make up for the inability, so long as we are willing to admit to our flaws and failures, and keep trying.

Also, it's not really about 'good or bad behavior', it's about the state of mind and heart that fuels the good and bad behavior. When we consistently and persistently allow the spirit of fear, greed, and selfishness to govern our thoughts and behaviors over the course of our lifetime, this spirit poisons us, and becomes us. And we can never recover. (Thus, we fall into an eternal hell of our own making.) But if we are willing to recognize this shortcoming within ourselves, and keep trying to think and act on the spirit of love, forgiveness, kindness and generosity, that also exists within us (this spirit being called the "Christ within"), doing so can heal us and save us from ourselves. And act as an antidote to that poison that would otherwise condemn us for all eternity.

Religious Christianity is not just about eternal punishment, it's also about how to be saved from that eternal punishment. And the key is to understand that we have the power to choose. Thus, we are responsible for the ultimate result. Not God.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
I don’t believe God does that. I believe that God is love and, because of that, God will gather all people to God.

WalterTrull

Godfella
Would you like to buy a bridge? I have a great one. It's on sale!!