• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God is everywhere; is God in Hell?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I believe I will have to look that one up. I enjoy SciFi. No doubt people like the idea of playing god.

I consider that a very good idea, excellent SF author, Surface Detail is up there in the books i can read over. My favourite book, one i have read several times and still find if fresh is Excession, another of his. Take away the M and leave Iain Banks, under that name he wrote fiction.

coconut theology

coconuts for Jesus
Did Jesus or Moses say that G-d is a physical being,please?
If yes, then please quote from them? Right, please?

Regards
There are several places, of which I cited in the reply, you quoted in response. So, let's begin with Genesis 1. Consider the words, "likeness" and "image". These two words mean two differing things. When followed through the Bible, they will show what they mean, and how they are used. I have left two such verses, but do not stop at those two, and consider every last verse that uses those two words, and you will see how they are defined by scripture, and how they are then used in Genesis 1, to describe God.

Gen_1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Gen_5:3 And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness, after his image; and called his name Seth:

Exo_20:4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:​

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Neither heaven nor hell are places. They are states of being. One cannot be separate from God, for we are all in God. However, one can "close one's eyes" and ignore God, thus "shutting oneself out."

Firemorphic

Activist Membrane
Well, is he? For those who believe in an omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent God and believe in Hell, especially a literal one, is God there? I don't think it matters if Hell is literal or figurative. It's a place where condemned and punished souls are sent by God. Even if Hell is separation from God, where do the souls go? Is God not there also. Please explain the seeming paradox to me. How can an omnipotent and omnipresent God not be somewhere. To me, that negates God’s omni-everything. So, given that God is everywhere, as we were taught by Sister Mary Discipline of the Sisters of No Mercy, is God in Hell along with the tortured souls he sentenced there? Does he exist there?

YES

But the correct phrasing is that Hell is in God, as with heaven, earth, the universe etc.
Nothing can exist absent from God.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
If God isn't everywhere then He isn't answering your prayers because He is spending all His time with me.
Gosh, I wonder who has been answering my prayers, then? Maybe you're just kidding around. It's hard to tell sometimes when people are serious and when they're not. I never implied that God doesn't answer my prayers or isn't with me, because I believe He does and is. I don't believe He's in Hell though, and since I don't believe He is just a spirit that exists everywhere at once, I see His power, influence, love, etc. as being everywhere He wants them to be, even though I believe that, physically, He is "in Heaven," where the Bible says He is.

Well, is he? For those who believe in an omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent God and believe in Hell, especially a literal one, is God there? I don't think it matters if Hell is literal or figurative. It's a place where condemned and punished souls are sent by God. Even if Hell is separation from God, where do the souls go? Is God not there also. Please explain the seeming paradox to me. How can an omnipotent and omnipresent God not be somewhere. To me, that negates God’s omni-everything. So, given that God is everywhere, as we were taught by Sister Mary Discipline of the Sisters of No Mercy, is God in Hell along with the tortured souls he sentenced there? Does he exist there?

Yes, God is indeed everywhere, even the furthest stars are upheld by God. God is indeed in Hell and there is no place where He is not. This is because God is a consuming fire. (Hebrews 12:29), He is the fire in Hell. To understand Hell, you must first be able to understand the nature of God’s fire. God’s fire is a purifying fire, it is also a fire of judgement against sin. Because God is a holy God, who is pure and without sin, God’s fire will immediately locate and convict people of their sin. See Isaiah 6:1-8. Isaiah was God’s prophet, pure and holy except for one sin, that is, he had a foul mouth, and when he appeared before God in all of God’s splendour, God’s fire immediately located his bad mouth. An angel took a coal from Gods’ altar and touched his mouth and healed him.
But imagine if souls die without being saved, they are full of unrepented sin, they are thrown into Hell into the midst of God’s fire. Hell is God’s Spiritual rubbish dump. These are souls who didn’t want God, and they will forever get their wish. God will respect the decisions they have made. On the other hand, there are those souls who have voted with their hearts to accept Christ as Saviour, they are the ones, who are cleansed of their sin, and who go to be with the Lord in Heaven. Notice in Heaven at the end of days, described in Revelation 22, that the temple will be no more, because God is in the centre of the Holy city, New Jerusalem, and His brilliance will be the light of it. Imagine the burning power of that brilliance, but it doesn’t cause Jerusalem’s inhabitants any harm because they are now perfected, holy and sinless. But all those who have chosen to reject God, will be kept out of the holy city, in a place of punishment. (Rev.21:8, 22:15). Hell and God’s fire is a huge subject. Pray that it has wetted your appetite.

coconut theology

coconuts for Jesus
Neither heaven nor hell are places. ...
Yeah, that is Jesuit teaching, which is counter to so simple a statement by the real Jesus:

Joh 14:2 In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.
Joh 14:3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.

2Ch_6:30 Then hear thou from heaven thy dwelling place, and forgive, and render unto every man according unto all his ways, whose heart thou knowest; (for thou only knowest the hearts of the children of men:)

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
There are several places, of which I cited in the reply, you quoted in response. So, let's begin with Genesis 1. Consider the words, "likeness" and "image". These two words mean two differing things. When followed through the Bible, they will show what they mean, and how they are used. I have left two such verses, but do not stop at those two, and consider every last verse that uses those two words, and you will see how they are defined by scripture, and how they are then used in Genesis 1, to describe God.

Gen_1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Gen_5:3 And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness, after his image; and called his name Seth:

Exo_20:4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:​
These are all third person narratives none of them is:
  1. G-d said "I am a physical Being"
  2. or Moses said "G-d said 'I am a physical Being' " or
  3. Jesus said "G-d said 'I am a physical Being' ".
Right, please?

Regards

Terry Sampson

Space/Cosmos/Time is all creation of G-d. G-d (Allah) is attributive and needs no Space/Cosmos/Time for His existence. Right, please?
Regards
I understand what you're saying, but I don't agree with what you're saying. Ergo, you and I have an irreconcilable difference, and your Allah is not my God, never has been and never will be.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Yes, the definition of the lake of fire is ' second death ' such as Jeremiah 51:39; Jeremiah 51:57 speaks of 'perpetual sleep'.
Since the wicked will be ' destroyed forever ' (Psalms 92:7) then second death is that perpetual sleep Not waking up.
So, in Scripture 'fire ' stands for that destruction or ' second death.'
Remember: Satan was never in any hell, biblical hell or otherwise.
Jesus will ' destroy ' sinner Satan as per Hebrews 2:14 B.
So, the torment or everlasting punishment is: everlasting destruction ---- 1 Thessalonians 1:9; Matthew 25:46

"tormented day and night for ever and ever." (Rev. 20:10)

No, the second death is the result of the unbelievers getting their bodies back and resurrected. They then are judged and tossed into the lake of fire where they die again. This is why it is the second death. Death is but a separation of the body from the spirit/soul. The spirit/soul of the unbeliever in the lake of fire is left in the lake of fire after the body dies again. Thus the spirit/soul shall exist there for ever. No such thing as 'perpetual sleep'.

Unless there is an experience of 'torment' then there is no torment. Your explanation is nonsense.

Concerning satan, he will be. (Matt. 25:41)

Good-Ole-Rebel

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I understand what you're saying, but I don't agree with what you're saying. Ergo, you and I have an irreconcilable difference, and your Allah is not my God, never has been and never will be.
How does one know that G-d/YHVH/Allah is not one's God,never has been and never will be?It is by discerning the attributes of G-d/YHVH/Allah that one could confirm or deny in this connection. Right, please?

Regards

Terry Sampson

How does one know that G-d/YHVH/Allah is not one's God,never has been and never will be?It is by discerning the attributes of G-d/YHVH/Allah that one could confirm or deny in this connection.
Clever Muslim, you say things and say that I said them.
  • Judaism and Islam share the same concept of God, but do not share the same God. YHVH and Allah are not the same. YHVH has children; Allah does not.
  • Judaism and Christianity share the same God, but do not share the same concept of God.
  • Christianity and Islam do not share the same God and do not share the same concept of God.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Clever Muslim, you say things and say that I said them.
  • Judaism and Islam share the same concept of God, but do not share the same God. YHVH and Allah are not the same. YHVH has children; Allah does not.
  • Judaism and Christianity share the same God, but do not share the same concept of God.
  • Christianity and Islam do not share the same God and do not share the same concept of God.
G-d could have and does have different names due to the different languages they speak, so the real discernment of Him lies in understanding His attributes, not the proper-name in vogue in them.
I have been talking with many Jews, they are comfortable with G-d's name of Allah.
Judaism people (Jesus was a Jew) and Quranic G-d's concept is not different.
The Arabic-Christian Bible uses frequently the name Allah as God.

Right, please?

Regards
"Allah (/ˈælə, ˈɑːlə, əlˈlɑː/;[1][2] Arabic: ٱلل‍َّٰه‎, romanized: Allāh, IPA: [ɑɫˈɫɑː(h)] ( listen)) is the Arabic word for God in Abrahamic religions. In the English language, the word generally refers to God in Islam.[3][4][5] The word is thought to be derived by contraction from al-ilāh, which means "the god", and is related to El and Elah, the Hebrew and Aramaic words for God.[6][7]

The word Allah has been used by Arabic people of different religions since pre-Islamic times.[8] More specifically, it has been used as a term for God by Muslims (both Arab and non-Arab) and Arab Christians."
Allah - Wikipedia

coconut theology

coconuts for Jesus
These are all third person narratives ...
Right, please? ...
You are quite mistaken. God said, "Let us make ..." is not third person. It is the Father speaking to the Son, in context. It is a direct conversation being recorded.

Also, your self-made regulation in what the Bible (KJB) needs to have said is non-sequitur to what it does say. 'You' are not the criteria, nor standard of it.