• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God is everywhere; is God in Hell?

Bird123

No, we are not. We die. God allows certain ones to live forever, but since He is the Creator and Giver of life, He can take away life. He does however promise a resurrection.
"For since death came through a man, the resurrection of the dead comes also through a man." 1 Corinthians 15:21. Since the Bible speaks of death coming through a man, what man do you think it means?

These are stories religion has created. Religion is mankind's attempt to Understand God. I have found no religion that understands God. On the other hand, pieces exist in all religions.

Perhaps you should ask yourself why you want these stories to be the truth. What are they really teaching you? Is that who you really want to be?

The choices are all yours!!

That's what I see!! It's very clear!!

Thief

Rogue Theologian
However, I find we need to keep in mind a parable is an illustration or a story and Not a real happening.
The real happing is found at John 11:11-14 that the dead are sleeping. In a sleep-like state.
Jesus learned that 'sleeping conditions about the dead' from the old Hebrew Scriptures, such as:
- Psalms 6:5; Psalms 13:3; Psalms 115:17; Isaiah 38:18; Ecclesiastes 9:5
as per op title....

you think?...God is down there...in the grave with them?

eternal darkness is physically real
no form of light follows anyone into the grave
really dark down there

but hey......God was God...….in the darkness
before He created light

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
All God's children will be educated.
And you know this how?
Just like all the physics of this world add up completely, so does the people factor. The people factor is much more complicated simply because there are many more variables. If you short cut, then choose to hate, how can you ever hope to Understand what it's all about.

You see the world as a mess. I see it as a MASTERPIECE!! Which do you think God really created??

There is so very much you have not Discovered and are blind to. If you choose, like religion, to value the petty things like blaming, judging, hating, condemning and such, how can you ever hope to understand what a Higher Level is?

That's what I see. It's very clear!!

There is order to chaos once you understand the order. HIGHER LEVEL THINKING!!
You are misinterpreting what I said. The world has serious, serious problems, and you and I are not going to solve them. There are laws and commandments. If I believe in some things then I should observe the rules. God created Adam and Eve to live in a wonderful, beautiful place. So anyway, tell me how you hope to change the world. Since you say it's a masterpiece, why would you want to change that?

YoursTrue

These are stories religion has created. Religion is mankind's attempt to Understand God. I have found no religion that understands God. On the other hand, pieces exist in all religions.

Perhaps you should ask yourself why you want these stories to be the truth. What are they really teaching you? Is that who you really want to be?

The choices are all yours!!

You say no religion understands God, but you do? By the way, excuse me, but I don't have the time to answer all your posts. Have a nice day.

Prim969

To me Not problematic because the ' and came out.... ' is Not speaking about the dead but the living people who witnessed that earthquake, they are the ones who ' came out....'
The living have bodily functions in motion.
The corpses ' arose ' (were Not resurrected) so it was the living who were recognized.
So, it was No resurrection for the saints or holy ones because they would Not be resurrected before Jesus.
No temporary resurrection done or caused by an earthquake.
Saints / holy ones would Not be resurrected to heavenly life before Jesus would take future kingly power.
Jesus was Not resurrected the day he died. The day Jesus died he went to the grave - Acts of the Apostles 2:27.
Uravip2me it doesn’t matter that Jesus was 3 days in the tomb before he arose. he was still the first born of the resurrection whose death has brought us forgiveness and eternal life through his sacrifice and resurrection. Any other resurrection prior to that was only temporary. Now these are the facts. All the earliest church fathers that do write about Mathew 27:50-53 and there are quite a few including Ignatius who was a contemporary in the apostle Johns time do verify that the description given in Matthew 27: 50-53 as being a historical account. That when Christ died a earthquake did happen, the temple curtain was rent in two and that tombs of many saints were broken open and that many saints did come forth fully resurrected. The only disagreement amongst the church fathers on this is to whether the resurrection body that the saints received at the time was a permanent or a temporary one. But all are agreed that the saints who were dead amongst the tombs came out fully alive or fully resurrected so there is no misunderstanding of what the early church believed on this. So why should one believe contrary to what they believed on the matter. Listed below is some verification of that.. Ignatius 70-115 AD Ireneus 120AD -200AD Clement of Alexandria 155AD-200AD Tertillian 160AD - 222AD. Hippolytus 170AD -235AD Origen 185 AD - 254 AD. There are of course many more in latter centuries as well.Such as a Saint Augustine 354AD-430AD all the way up to the reformation the same viewpoint was held by John Calvin and many others too. All did hold that Mathew 27: 50-53 was a historical account. It should be noted that at the moment of our Lords death the sacrifice was complete. Christ had paid the full price he was the first born from the moment of death not from when he arose.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I might be able to provide what I believe is a reasonable defense of what I believe, the big question that I can't answer is "Are you reasonable enough to understand my defense whether or not you're willing to believe it yourself?"

I believe logic is my forte.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I believe you have no basis for your assessment.

I believe my assessment is based upon the fact that you made statements without providing a basis for them. I can state elephants are pink but my statement without a basis is just fantasy.

Muffled

Jesus in me
ms could be called hell weak
For the evil, God IS hell. And Satan is the accuser.

I believe you are talking about a metaphoric hell which represents that which is most painful for us. So final exams could be called hell week because it is a painful experience.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
I believe my assessment is based upon the fact that you made statements without providing a basis for them. I can state elephants are pink but my statement without a basis is just fantasy.
I believe the basis for the statements is well enough known as common knowledge. Your analogy fails, because pink elephants are not a commonly-known phenomenon. All elephants known are grey.
However, there is biblical precedent for hell not being a place, since, in the Judaic theology, there is no such place as "hell." There is also ample theological and biblical precedent for us having our being in God. If you're unaware of those well-known precedents, that constitutes a failure on your part, not mine. We don't have to provide a "basis" for stating that the earth is round. Likewise, we don't have to provide a "basis" for stating that our lives are "in God." That's a basic precept of Christianity.

Bird123

And you know this how?

You are misinterpreting what I said. The world has serious, serious problems, and you and I are not going to solve them. There are laws and commandments. If I believe in some things then I should observe the rules. God created Adam and Eve to live in a wonderful, beautiful place. So anyway, tell me how you hope to change the world. Since you say it's a masterpiece, why would you want to change that?

Who do you think made your laws and commandments? It certainly was not God.

Adam and Eve is just a story. Come back to reality.

God's system works for everyone. It's so simple. Be who you must! It's a part of the plan. Listen to the advice of others but walk your own path! Life's lessons are best learned that way.

Control is one of the petty things mankind holds so dear. Do you wish to control others?

If you want advice to make the world better, I say copy God. What does God do? God places truth around us all. It waits for us to Discover it. God doesn't control your actions. God places people around you to interact with. You might just be surprised what interaction with others accomplishes. There are parts of God's system we are not capable of doing, however we change the world by being who we are rather than being controlled or controlling others.

I do my best to place truth and knowledge in people's lives. Everyone I meet I point them in the right direction while being open to anything I can learn from them. I make no demands on people's actions, however I will move a grain of sand every time I see them. I have discovered people do change in time. They usually think it was their idea all along.

God's system returns our actions to us. This is not to punish. It is to teach us what our actions really mean. When one Discovers all sides, intelligence will make the Best choices. Don't you see? There has never been a need to define good or evil simply because in the end only the best choices will be viable.

There is Genius behind everything God does. God's system also teaches everyone to Love Unconditionally. In time, one realizes Unconditional Love is what one wants to return. Those wonderful actions also return to teach us what they mean as well.

There is much to learn. This could never be accomplished in one mere lifetime. Since there is no time limit, it will take many many lifetimes before one advances far enough that a physical body would no longer be necessary.

People tend to take adversity personally. There comes a time when learning becomes impossible. That is the reason for death. Death is no more than a change.

After death one will experience God's Unconditional Love. It is a Love that heals all hurt. It feels so good, so complete one would do anything for it. This is the time of judgement. Experiencing God we see where we are and where we need to be. We judge ourselves. At some point we choose to go back to school and are born into a new physical body to continue the lessons.

Like I said, making judgement calls without all the information can lead one astray. One can choose to value all those petty things mankind holds so dear or one can walk toward the Higher Level and God. In time, everyone will learn it all regardless of the choices. On the other hand, through our choices, we choose the lessons we are to learn. Does one really want Blaming,Judging, Hating, Condemning, Intimidation,Coercing, Controlling, Labeling, Classing and such returning to our doors?

Like I said. There is genius behind everything God is doing. The dynamics behind God's system are simply amazing. There is so much to Discover.

Bird123

You say no religion understands God, but you do? By the way, excuse me, but I don't have the time to answer all your posts. Have a nice day.

God hides nothing. On the other hand Discovery takes work. The learning never ends. God is not something to be believed in or accepted. God is to be Discovered. On the other hand, Discovering God is not what it's all about. Since everyone already knows God, it's no big deal. I am one who just had to know the Real Truth.

Religion values beliefs because that is all they have. Science will Discover God before religion will. Why? Religion does not correct errors. They think there are none. Science will correct errors and whether science believes it or not, science is walking toward God, not away.

I make no demands about anyone answering my posts. Yes, I know seems it's hard to find the time to do all we want. We will just have to muddle through best we can. It's all good!!

YoursTrue

God hides nothing. On the other hand Discovery takes work. The learning never ends. God is not something to be believed in or accepted. God is to be Discovered. On the other hand, Discovering God is not what it's all about. Since everyone already knows God, it's no big deal. I am one who just had to know the Real Truth.

Religion values beliefs because that is all they have. Science will Discover God before religion will. Why? Religion does not correct errors. They think there are none. Science will correct errors and whether science believes it or not, science is walking toward God, not away.

I make no demands about anyone answering my posts. Yes, I know seems it's hard to find the time to do all we want. We will just have to muddle through best we can. It's all good!!

It's been interesting hearing your ideas, and have a good evening.

Terry Sampson

I might be able to provide what I believe is a reasonable defense of what I believe, the big question that I can't answer is "Are you reasonable enough to understand my defense whether or not you're willing to believe it yourself?"
I believe logic is my forte.
  • My question was: "Are you reasonable enough to understand my defense whether or not you're willing to believe it yourself?" My question was not: "Are you rational enough to understand my defense whether or not you're willing to believe it yourself?"
    • Your response tells me that you believe that you're rational enough to understand my defense." I'm glad to hear that you believe logic is your forte; let's see if you're as reasonable as you are rational.
I observe that the cosmos certainly seems to me to consist of things moving through the void. Would you agree?