• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God is disproven by science? Really?

Audie

Veteran Member
Yes it’s One Story from Genesis to Revelation.

The Bible is unique in its diversity and harmony.

Written over a span of 40 generations and about 1,600 years, by more than 40 authors from varying walks of life, on three continents (Asia, Africa and Europe) and in three languages (Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek), the Bible is unlike any other book in the world. It includes history, poetry, prophecy, law, parables and preaching, and it covers a broad range of subject matter (including hundreds of controversial topics) from the nature of God to the origin of man.2

Considering the diversity of its writers and subject matter, one might expect at least some conflict or inconsistency in the content and themes presented in the Bible, and yet...

• the Bible is one complete epic story centered around one extraordinary character.
  • the Bible addresses numerous topics and themes throughout the text with incredible harmony and resolution. (For instance, the paradise lost of the first book of the Bible becomes the paradise regained of the last book of the Bible. The access to the Tree of Life, which was closed in the first book of the Bible, is opened forevermore in the last book of the Bible.)
Like the instruments in a symphony, each writer of the Bible is quite different from the others. When you hear an orchestra playing with flawless harmony, you naturally assume that it is being directed by an accomplished conductor. Why should we think any differently in regard to the Bible, which is far more complex in content and scope than any symphonic score?
All the better if so.

Makes it all baloney.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
I’ll remember that the next time I read an old autobiography or history book. Thanks for keeping me abreast.
Use it next time you're reading Harry Potter, so you will realize that you can't confirm the stories in the book with other stories in the book. Rather, you need some sort of independent verification. Otherwise, all you have are stories in a book. You don't even have the eyewitness testimony you keep claiming you have (not that eyewitness testimony is all that great to begin with).

Also, if you're reading an old history book and it says that Abraham Lincoln died and was raised from the dead, you'd be prudent not to take that claim at face value, right? You might want to seek independent verification of that supposed fact.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Well, here we go again, based on a few posts I read in this thread. Does anyone really KNOW what the first living form was? And how it came about? So let's say there's a

It's just too detailed and coordinating in my opinion to be fiction. Nope. As far as I am concerned, it's true. But that's me and I leave the judging to God to see what will happen in the future.
The Harry Potter novels are very "detailed and coordinating" but that doesn't make them true.

Also, lots of passages in the Gospels are just straight up plagiarized from other Gospels.
(E.g. Matthew and Luke copied a lot from Mark.)

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
To you it’s not and just your opinion. But according to the facts listed in Lesson 1 shows that it is.
It's your opinion that the Bible is unique.
This is just one fact:
Many famous writers will write approximately one page a day to complete a new book every year. In contrast, the Bible took around 1500 years to complete.
And .... ?

It took Victor Hugo 12 years to write Les Miserables. So what?

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member

Written over a span of 40 generations and about 1,600 years, by more than 40 authors from varying walks of life, on three continents (Asia, Africa and Europe) and in three languages (Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek), the Bible is unlike any other book in the world. It includes history, poetry, prophecy, law, parables and preaching, and it covers a broad range of subject matter (including hundreds of controversial topics) from the nature of God to the origin of man.2

Considering the diversity of its writers and subject matter, one might expect at least some conflict or inconsistency in the content and themes presented in the Bible, and yet...

• the Bible is one complete epic story centered around one extraordinary character.
  • the Bible addresses numerous topics and themes throughout the text with incredible harmony and resolution. (For instance, the paradise lost of the first book of the Bible becomes the paradise regained of the last book of the Bible. The access to the Tree of Life, which was closed in the first book of the Bible, is opened forevermore in the last book of the Bible.)
Like the instruments in a symphony, each writer of the Bible is quite different from the others. When you hear an orchestra playing with flawless harmony, you naturally assume that it is being directed by an accomplished conductor. Why should we think any differently in regard to the Bible, which is far more complex in content and scope than any symphonic score?
:shrug:

Everyone seems to think their holy book is unique, by the looks of it.
Problem is, "unique" doesn't equal "true."

:shrug:

Everyone seems to think their holy book is unique, by the looks of it.
Problem is, "unique" doesn't equal "true."
What people think and the reality are different:

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Yeah, you all say your holy books are unique. So what? You don't think someone else's holy book is unique? Big deal. They don't think yours is.

You didn't address my point:
What does "uniqueness" have to do with truth?

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
You’re comparing 1 man 12 years with 1500 years and many authors with 1 story?
I'm trying to figure out why you seem to think unique = true.

The Bible is filled with many different stories, not just one. And even when it comes to that "1 story" there are multiple different accounts with conflicting details.

Still trying to figure out why any of this makes the Bible claims true.

I'm trying to figure out why you seem to think unique = true.

The Bible is filled with many different stories, not just one. And even when it comes to that "1 story" there are multiple different accounts with conflicting details.

Still trying to figure out why any of this makes the Bible claims true.
Yes many different stories about God our Father and Creator, how He loves us and redeemed us from the devil who had the power of death but not anymore! So awesome!
What you’re saying about the Bible is like if I talked to your family about your life and told them you weren’t real and their stories were bogus because they recounted different aspects of the years of your life when in reality if you take all the different perspectives you get a better picture of the whole story or your life in this instance.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Yes many different stories about God our Father and Creator, how He loves us and redeemed us from the devil who had the power of death but not anymore! So awesome!
What you’re saying about the Bible is like if I talked to your family about your life and told them you weren’t real and their stories were bogus because they recounted different aspects of the years of your life when in reality if you take all the different perspectives you get a better picture of the whole story or your life in this instance.

I'm not sure how this addresses my point at all.

I'm not sure how this addresses my point at all.
You said this:

They aren’t conflicting stories, different sides of the same story, Harmony of the Gospels, each writer tells the same story,’different perspectives same as if your family was describing your life and different things that happened, none will have the exact take on it but all will be true.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
You said this:

They aren’t conflicting stories, different sides of the same story, Harmony of the Gospels, each writer tells the same story,’different perspectives same as if your family was describing your life and different things that happened, none will have the exact take on it but all will be true.
You cut out the rest of what I said, which contained actual point in it. I'm responding to your claim that the Bible's supposed "uniqueness" is somehow a demonstration of it's truth.

What I said in full:

"I'm trying to figure out why you seem to think unique = true.

Still trying to figure out why any of this makes the Bible claims true."

And in the post before that:

"Yeah, you all say your holy books are unique. So what? You don't think someone else's holy book is unique? Big deal. They don't think yours is.

You didn't address my point:
What does "uniqueness" have to do with truth?"

What does "uniqueness" have to do with truth?
Well the Bible is unique and true for example in Proverbs it says the twisting of the nose will produce blood.

”For as churning cream produces butter, and as twisting the nose produces blood, so stirring up anger produces strife.”“
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭30‬:‭33‬ ‭NIV‬‬

So the original was that the Bible was unique to all other Books and since you changed to the above question I will assume you agree with the Bible is unique now you are asking about truth.

What is truth?

Last edited:

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Well the Bible is unique and true for example in Proverbs it says the twisting of the nose will produce blood.

”For as churning cream produces butter, and as twisting the nose produces blood, so stirring up anger produces strife.”“
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭30‬:‭33‬ ‭NIV‬‬
Why do you think unique = true? What's the connection? What does truth have to do with uniqueness?

Okay, I just twisted my nose and no blood came out. Oops. Do you think that the Bible containing one possibly true fact means that the entire thing is true, like including the fantastical miracle claims. Of course you don't, right?

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I can't see how? 1 is not 2. inside is not the same as outside. ...

There are a great many variations in scripture, but that does not mean nor imply that the scriptures as a whole are fake.

I think if you read it, it can be synthesized. Sometimes we take things too literal like, "1a Now on the first day of the week Mary Magdalene came early to the tomb, while it was still dark,”. This statement doesn’t preclude that more people are with her was the “other Mary”.

Why do you think unique = true? What's the connection? What does truth have to do with uniqueness?

Okay, I just twisted my nose and no blood came out. Oops. Do you think that the Bible containing one possibly true fact means that the entire thing is true, like including the fantastical miracle claims. Of course you don't, right?
The word for twisting your nose is wringing, forcing,churning you do that your nose will bleed.
Does unique mean true, not necessarily for everything but in the context of what we are talking concerning the Bible, Yes it’s one of the tests of authenticity of the message that God gave us to know Him and His plans, thoughts, character, love and lengths He goes to demonstrate this.
Of course the miracles are true, I’ve witnessed them and received them. What are miracles to us are nothing for God, that’s what He does. I don’t even think He considers them miracles, we just do, because we can’t do them without Him.

Last edited:

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member

So is Star Wars.

You are just repeating your claims and not at all addressing the points I raised.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
You as a bible believer believe the claims of / about the bible over the claims that muslims believe of / about the quran.

Shocking!

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
The word for twisting your nose is wringing, forcing,churning you do that your nose will bleed.

So what?

Does unique mean true, not necessarily for everything but in the context of what we are talking concerning the Bible, Yes it’s one of the tests of authenticity of the message that God gave us to know Him and His plans, thoughts, character, love and lengths He goes to demonstrate this.

A muslim will say the same about the quran.
You can't both be right. You can both be wrong though.

Of course the miracles are true, I’ve witnessed them and received them. What are miracles to us are nothing for God, that’s what He does. I don’t even think He considers them miracles, we just do, because we can’t do them without Him.
Yeah, every religious believer of most, if not all, religions thinks his / her particular god performed "miracles" in their life.
Again: you can't all be right. But you can all be wrong.