• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God is cruel

Is God cruel?

• Yes

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • No

Votes: 21 65.6%

• Total voters

Shlomoh

There is an argument that has been around for thousands of years and it goes like this. If God can prevent misery but chooses not to, He is cruel. If He wishes to prevent misery but is unable, He is not all-powerful. In either way, He is not the type of Deity that we can look up to to protect us, either because He doesn't want to or cannot. Lots of people read the scriptures and read that God will not abandon a good person in time of trouble. Then when something horrible like the Holocaust happens, people have to start asking why wasn't so and so saved? Probably because he was not a good person. So then let's cast the blame on humans rather than God. But what's really wrong with casting blame where it belongs? If You God are not going to come thru with your recorded Biblical promises, don't make them. At least the Greeks knew better than to expect their gods to help them. Their gods were too self-involved and egotistical for that. It's probably one of the reasons that the ancient Greco-Roman world chose to be Christian, because our God DID make those promises of protection, even when people back then saw Christians being thrown to the lions. The fact is that God is neither cruel or not cruel. At best, He is unpredictable. Satan is more predictable because he tells the truth. He doesn't make promises that he doesn't keep. Sell him your soul, he says, and he will give you what you want. Every Faustian story makes that clear. You give your soul and he never promises you that in the end you won't be tortured. He tells the truth and he is cruel. But at least you know where you are at with Satan. With God you do not. How can you when you can't be sure how He will act or not act? So if you choose to follow God, stop having unrealistic expectation. Follow Him and let the chips fall where they will. And stop calling Him names. He may not want to or He may not be able to but for sure He is who he is, not who He says He is. In that way, He is very much like us, created in OUR image..

Spiderman

Veteran Member
There is an argument that has been around for thousands of years and it goes like this. If God can prevent misery but chooses not to, He is cruel. If He wishes to prevent misery but is unable, He is not all-powerful. In either way, He is not the type of Deity that we can look up to to protect us, either because He doesn't want to or cannot. Lots of people read the scriptures and read that God will not abandon a good person in time of trouble. Then when something horrible like the Holocaust happens, people have to start asking why wasn't so and so saved? Probably because he was not a good person. So then let's cast the blame on humans rather than God. But what's really wrong with casting blame where it belongs? If You God are not going to come thru with your recorded Biblical promises, don't make them. At least the Greeks knew better than to expect their gods to help them. Their gods were too self-involved and egotistical for that. It's probably one of the reasons that the ancient Greco-Roman world chose to be Christian, because our God DID make those promises of protection, even when people back then saw Christians being thrown to the lions. The fact is that God is neither cruel or not cruel. At best, He is unpredictable. Satan is more predictable because he tells the truth. He doesn't make promises that he doesn't keep. Sell him your soul, he says, and he will give you what you want. Every Faustian story makes that clear. You give your soul and he never promises you that in the end you won't be tortured. He tells the truth and he is cruel. But at least you know where you are at with Satan. With God you do not. How can you when you can't be sure how He will act or not act? So if you choose to follow God, stop having unrealistic expectation. Follow Him and let the chips fall where they will. And stop calling Him names. He may not want to or He may not be able to but for sure He is who he is, not who He says He is. In that way, He is very much like us, created in OUR image..
That is a very good post...now if you could make it easier on the reader and use paragraphs next time. Just a suggestion :)

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I think Lucifer is still a servant of God. God wanted an enemy so he created the perfect one. By being God's enemy, Lucifer serves him

rsd

ACBSP77
I really haven't been to this forum in ages. This morning I was posting on one of my FB groups basically the same question. And minutes later saw your post. I appreciate your concerns about God "listening" and "protecting" those who love them, but how they seem to loose out in the end. Still waiting for something that will explain this to me. Best of all I would like the answer to come to me in prayer. As I wish for you. To really understand 100% the "whys" to this mystery.

Mary Blackchurch

Free from Stockholm Syndrome
This sentence doesn't make any sense. Free will only involves the actions we take, not what happens to us. Not getting raped or murdered isn't an action.

And btw, responding to Deidre's post the way you did is just like responding to someone who said, "I like dogs" with, "Oh? So you think we should bite the heads off kittens and suck their guts out?"

So you have no will to live? :)

I am sorry for your lack of cognition. Let me water it down: A person who wants to live, and has that will to live, gets their will to live or be free from rape interrupted by the will of the murderer/rapist. Do they not?

As for the rest of your response regarding Deirdre's post, now it's you who has made zero sense. If you can't see that, I do have extra money and can supply you with a pair of spectacles.

Mary Blackchurch

Of course not, "to explain" is to use words.

Rather, I'm trying to point at truth with words. If I fail, fair enough.

The universal truth is not propositional, it's the value that informs the proposition. Propositional "truths" are mutable, as mutable as the world.

I don't wish to offend, but for all that it's worth, as a noun, or even as a suggestion "universal truth" is just as mutable.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
So you have no will to live? :)

Isn't living an action?

I am sorry for your lack of cognition.

I'm sorry your parents didn't teach you any manners.

Let me water it down: A person who wants to live, and has that will to live, gets their will to live or be free from rape interrupted by the will of the murderer/rapist. Do they not?

I think you're confused about what the term "will" means within the context of this discussion.

As for the rest of your response regarding Deirdre's post, now it's you who has made zero sense.

I'm sorry for your lack of cognition.

If you can't see that, I do have extra money and can supply you with a pair of spectacles.

Nah, just go on making a spectacle of yourself.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I really haven't been to this forum in ages. This morning I was posting on one of my FB groups basically the same question. And minutes later saw your post. I appreciate your concerns about God "listening" and "protecting" those who love them, but how they seem to loose out in the end. Still waiting for something that will explain this to me. Best of all I would like the answer to come to me in prayer. As I wish for you. To really understand 100% the "whys" to this mystery.
Yeah...I apologize to people I offended, it just hurts me to see how much agony so many people are in and I know there is one who can relieve their pain. That one is God.

Mary Blackchurch

Isn't living an action?

I'm sorry your parents didn't teach you any manners.

I think you're confused about what the term "will" means within the context of this discussion.

I'm sorry for your lack of cognition.

Nah, just go on making a spectacle of yourself.

Living is a state of being :grinning: but we were discussing "will" - not living.
Thank you for the sympathy regarding my parents and their lack of teaching skills, and also for my lack of cognition. I will bear those in mind.

I think the confusion lies with you, Mr. Quagmire. Are you aware that you threw in ad-hom in an attempt to make a point without doing so? But by all means, continue! For I feel sure that you will next be telling me of the lack of will to live in the little girl who was raped and murdered, because after all, she was making the appropriate action verb of living so her part of the deal was done. :tearsofjoy: But therein lies the point, doesn't it? Her will to do the action was intruded upon and taken from her. Thank you

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Living is a state of being :grinning: but we were discussing "will" - not living.
Thank you for the sympathy regarding my parents and their lack of teaching skills, and also for my lack of cognition. I will bear those in mind.

I think the confusion lies with you, Mr. Quagmire. Are you aware that you threw in ad-hom in an attempt to make a point without doing so? But by all means, continue! For I feel sure that you will next be telling me of the lack of will to live in the little girl who was raped and murdered, because after all, she was making the appropriate action verb of living so her part of the deal was done. :tearsofjoy: But therein lies the point, doesn't it? Her will to do the action was intruded upon and taken from her. Thank you

I'm sorry, I only speak Earthling.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Good ad hom and red herring all wrapped into one! But let me dumb it down for you then, mere mortal Earthling. A person in a coma who is on life support is living. It has nothing to do with "will"

You're the one who suggested it did.;) :God is cruel (see post#170)

Holding other people responsible for things they never said . . holding them accountable for things that you said . . .

. . . wow.

Can't wait to see what else is going on in there.

Last edited: