• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God Has Your Back

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Is one of the things you get from your religion a feeling of security/safety that God is watching over you?
Is this part of the motivation for your religious practice?

peter_rescued_slide.jpg

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
No. I believe God is probably conscious of me(and everyone else). But I'm not sure God has the power to intervene in most affairs.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Is one of the things you get from your religion a feeling of security/safety that God is watching over you?
No to both as I tend to feel that God is more likely a reflection of everything and vice-versa [pantheistic or panentheistic]. Do I have evidence for this? No-- just a "leaning".

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
No. I believe God is probably conscious of me(and everyone else). But I'm not sure God has the power to intervene in most affairs.

If God doesn't intervene it seems one could safely ignore God.

What other benefits do you find from your religious practice? I assume people have reasons for their religious practice. How does your religious practice satisfy those reasons IOW?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
No to both as I tend to feel that God is more likely a reflection of everything and vice-versa [pantheistic or panentheistic]. Do I have evidence for this? No-- just a "leaning".

Like looking in a mirror?

syo

peter_rescued_slide.jpg
I have lucky charms for that. :cool:

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

peter_rescued_slide.jpg

I see God does as God Wills.

What we are to do is submit to what God has willed for us.

It may be as that unfolds, we do not see we are being looked after.

Faith has shown me that at every decision, there is guidance available, it is up to us to see that guidance and embrace it.

Making the wrong choices is part of life.

Regards Tony

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

There was a time when I was homeless. Had no family or friends. I was ready to give up but offered my life to God instead. I felt God's presence in that moment and it gave me the faith that God had a plan for me.

The idea that someone was watching over me allow me to boldly go forth into life even though, at the time everything seemed stacked against me.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I see God does as God Wills.

What we are to do is submit to what God has willed for us.

It may be as that unfolds, we do not see we are being looked after.

Faith has shown me that at every decision, there is guidance available, it is up to us to see that guidance and embrace it.

Making the wrong choices is part of life.

Regards Tony

Why do as God wills? Why is this something we should submit to?

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Why do as God wills? Why is this something we should submit to?

I can not answer that for you. I am not the one to ask. It also has many answers as it is really the question of Faith.

If it was a question a child asked, I could reply with a thought.

I could ask a child to consider why they would obey their parents and what benefit they see that obidence would bring about and then ask what is the result of disobedience. The answers would be relative to that child's Nature and Nurture.

So why is it something you could consider, along with others, I see only you and they can know.

Regards Tony

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member

What other benefits do you find from your religious practice? I assume people have reasons for their religious practice. How does your religious practice satisfy those reasons IOW?

Depends on what 'practice' you speak of.

Meditation or the repetition of a mantra certainly can having calming benefits. It also is a good practice for concentration. At the very least, it can be a time to reflect on one's life/day/deep thoughts. The poses in Surya Namaskar help my sore muscles in the morning, and the sun rays help wake me up.

Hindu scriptures are fun. Reading of scripture is never dull or boring for me. Ever read the Mahabharata? One wouldn't have to be religious to enjoy it...

Otherwise, the ideas and philosophies I have found in my religion have been good for building my strength, acceptance, and the way I handle the events life hands me. It has enabled me to respond in peace(more often than not), instead of fear or agitation when something goes wrong.

I do have a relationship with God(as I know him/her), but its similar to a relationship that I would share with a friend. I don't ask my friends to get rid of my health problems, I call a doctor. I wouldn't ask my friend to ensure that my tire doesn't completely deflate on the road, I'd see a mechanic. Likewise, I don't tend to ask God for such favors, other than to ask for patience in dealing with such issues. Is God listening? I think so. If he/she is not, it doesn't matter because dwelling on a positive amidst a negative(strength in a scary situation) is better than dwelling on a negative amidst more negatives(I'm too frail to handle this! Save me!)

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I'm just trying to understand what you mean by reflection. :)
Much like seeing multiple paintings by an artist doing what (s)he likes best, the world and the entire universe is sort of a reflection of God, in my extremely hesitant opinion, much like Spinoza and Einstein hypothesized. Matter of fact, I tend to think Hinduism may have a better concept of this that do the Abrahamic religions.

Samosas, anyone? ;)

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
They do say in India "Guru is God", so in that sense God does watch over me
My Guru for sure has my back. This is not my feeling, but a 100% sure knowing
(knowing in the sense of many, many, many actual experiences)

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
^^^^^ This!

I've written this sentiment before in these forums, but I'll do it again now, because it fits.

When I was very young and going to Sunday school, there was a little song sung about "God sees the little sparrow fall." And even at that young age, I told the leader that if God sees it fall, but doesn't do anything about it, then why should we care about God?

They asked me to leave, and told the Children's Aid not to bring me back. I wasn't good for the indoctrination of others, I suppose.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Is this part of the motivation for your religious practice?.................
In Scripture we find that God was watching over Jesus.
Jesus was feeling secure in answering Satan when Satan 3 times tempted Jesus and Jesus rebuked him, " Go away Satan...." - Matthew 4:10
Jesus let Satan know who to worship at Luke 5:8 from Deuteronomy 6:13.
Jesus would have No reason to say that if he did Not feel secure and feel safe that his God was watching out for him, watching over him.
So, we too can feel secure and safe because if we oppose the Devil he will also flee from us - James 4:7
Thus, because of Jesus feeling secure and safe that God was watching over him is also part of the motivation for my religious practice.