• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God Has A Name.?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
No it isn't. That's his son's name. God has no name. To put a name to him is an insult and trying to define a god that cannot be defined.

Not really. Per Biblical Scripture, the title /a specific Title, JHVH, used for the Hebraic Deity, is used as a name.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Not really. Per Biblical Scripture, the title /a specific Title, JHVH, used for the Hebraic Deity, is used as a name.

I agree with the Jews and that Hashem would be more appropriate since the OT is the foundation of christian thiuht and what jesus taught. Wouldnt a christian agree with a native speaker of Hebrew rather than their interpretation of the word?

But god has no name. You can place a name to have a personal connection but just by being god, having a name ad we have names is defining god. How can a human (apostles included) define god?

OT people been trying to find the word for god and were punished. Moses asked and obeyed keeping I AM as a descriptive name. Jesus repeates Moses in scripture.

Why would I believe a christian when a native hebrew speaking jew knows more about Hebrew than anyone who studies it?

Language is beyond just words and meaning. I am studying language and know this first hand. It belongs to native speakers only. Interpretations cannot replace the nature of language.

What is the logic of giving the creator a name?

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
The God of heaven, Creator, Living Fire, LORD God, I Am, Elohim, El-Elyon, JEHOVAH,etc. All these are titles but God of those titles have a name. ( By Scriptures Do You Know This Name.? )
'And the LORD shall be king over all the earth: in that day shall there be one LORD, and his name one.' Zechariah 14:9

KJV Bibles at Psalms 110 mentions two (2) LORD/Lord's.
The LORD in all upper-case letters stands for the Tetragrammaton YHWH
The Lord is some lower-case letters stands for the Lord Jesus.
So, LORD/Lord, Creator, and even the word God is a title and Not a personal name.
Hallowed be God's name ( YHWH from the Tetragrammaton ) - John 17:6; John 17:26

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
297.gif
I don't always look too much into posts unless people stay in conversations and don't debate; but this got me
Eh? The Deific title, JHVH, is used as a name, in the OT/Tanach. It has to be, otherwise various verses which address G-d, would be redundant.
//because they use more than one title.
It is a specific Title, hence a 'name'.

The Significance of Names
In Jewish thought, a name is not merely an arbitrary designation, a random combination of sounds. The name conveys the nature and essence of the thing named. It represents the history and reputation of the being named.

This is not as strange or unfamiliar a concept as it may seem at first glance. In English, we often refer to a person's reputation as his "good name." When a company is sold, one thing that may be sold is the company's "good will," that is, the right to use the company's name. The Hebrew concept of a name is very similar to these ideas.

An example of this usage occurs in Ex. 3:13-22: Moses asks God what His "name" is. Moses is not asking "what should I call you;" rather, he is asking "who are you; what are you like; what have you done." That is clear from God's response. God replies that He is eternal, that He is the God of our ancestors, that He has seen our affliction and will redeem us from bondage....
~Judaism 101 and so on.

Names (not title like Hashem) are very important in many cultures. However, because god is a mystery and the nature of him cannot be defined-we do not know god and not the center of the universe-Jews do not call him by name. I agree with them because those who are native in Hebrew language would know a lot more than a Christian who most likely is learning Hebrew second hand from translators. If you are not in Jewish culture, then language means nothing.

I know this as a fact because I am in a education and future career in the language field. I must know the meaning and culture behind the language native speakers use. It can't be debated.

A 'name' is how one is addressed. It is clearly a 'name', in usage. Per Bible, the 'name', is used in conjunction with /a another Title. This means that the 'name', is intended to specify which Deity, is being referred to. That's a 'name'.

A title is not a name. Lord is a title. Carlita is a name. Someone can call me Lord if I am god. However, because I am not, I don't earn that title (by Christian standards), so one calls me by my "human" name Carlita.

A title does not always be in conjunction with a name. Queen Elizabeth is not the same as Queen Synetric (if you're a woman). Lord King Henry is another. Lord Buddha is yet another.

Elizabeth, Henry, Gautama, and you are not God (rather than god), proper noun. I can call you by name because you are not the creator of the universe so describing you by name in many cultures is okay. God is a totally different story. You're idolizing god by describing him. I AM is not a name; as per above quoted.
Haha. Really? Being sarcastic this time. Gosh, don't debate with me. It's in the gospels and Jesus is quoting what his father said to Moses.

If you dont believe me, you're saying that the father did not tell Moses that he said his nature is I AM. You are saying jesus is a lier. I highlighted the verse years ago but when I google it it keeps giving me peoples interpretation of scripture. This is a point blank verse. When I find it, I'll show it to you. It doesnt matter either way, though. Either you believe that jesus said the father told moses that he said to moses I AM or not.

I have no idea what this means. Aside from the fact that I don't call myself a ''Christian'', I could worship a tree, and it wouldn't change my argument.

We have a big problem here. If you don't call yourself Christian-someone who has a relationship with christ-then how can you defend the Christian belief insofar that what we say are opinions and interpretations of scripture not based on what we personally believe?

Ridiculous.

I can't even laugh at this. Disregard religion for a minute.
http://www.lexiophiles.com/uncategorized/the-relationship-between-language-and-culture
1. Relationship between language and culture
2. American Deaf Culture (and how ASL/language influences Deaf culture if not defines it)
3. Deaf culture and language
4. World Association of the Deaf
5. Role of Hebrew language and culture

This is not even up for debate. Without language and other aspects of culture, the culture and community that makes it up dies. Language and communication and religion interrelate with one another. Ask any person who has strong ties with their ethnic background and history.

I mean, we can debate everything else, but I am surprised you don't know this as a fact regardless of your religious views.

The Judaic/Hebraic Deity, is a specific Deity, that in my beliefs, can have other 'titles'. Merely the fact that other 'names' //or rather titles, can be attributed to the Deity, does not mean that one would not have a specific name for a Deity.
Remember you and I are not Christian. In my belief, god has no name. God is life. God is a title of how people relate to life and personification of it to relate and live life the best they can. AND their culture, religion, and language makes up their definition or understanding even without definition of their deity or deities.

In Judaism, unless a Jew corrects me, god is not described or defined. Christianity tries to describe god by the name of jesus so they can relate to the father. Without jesus they can't relate to the father; they feel they are separated from him. Most god of abraham religions have a unique and personal tie with the creator without jesus. In judaism, I agree with the jews that god is a mystery, divine, and creator (as per their scripture not my belief) and because of this it is an insult to call him anything. Especially attributing the nature of god to a human as well.

If I were a practicingJew or Muslim, I would be insulted that anyone would describe god in that way. However, just at the moment, scriptural, it doesn't make sense even if it did mention god's name. It describes his natures (love, compassion, according to Christianity) by titles not a personal name. God being person (or object) of worship. Lord, Master, etc are titles not names.

What you believe is different than scripture. However, I cant change your belief, I can just say what makes sense but the language doesn't influence culture part, I just had to laugh. No offense.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
297.gif
I don't always look too much into posts unless people stay in conversations and don't debate; but this got me

~Judaism 101 and so on.

Names (not title like Hashem) are very important in many cultures. However, because god is a mystery and the nature of him cannot be defined-we do not know god and not the center of the universe-Jews do not call him by name. I agree with them because those who are native in Hebrew language would know a lot more than a Christian who most likely is learning Hebrew second hand from translators. If you are not in Jewish culture, then language means nothing.

I know this as a fact because I am in a education and future career in the language field. I must know the meaning and culture behind the language native speakers use. It can't be debated.

A title is not a name. Lord is a title. Carlita is a name. Someone can call me Lord if I am god. However, because I am not, I don't earn that title (by Christian standards), so one calls me by my "human" name Carlita.

A title does not always be in conjunction with a name. Queen Elizabeth is not the same as Queen Synetric (if you're a woman). Lord King Henry is another. Lord Buddha is yet another.

Elizabeth, Henry, Gautama, and you are not God (rather than god), proper noun. I can call you by name because you are not the creator of the universe so describing you by name in many cultures is okay. God is a totally different story. You're idolizing god by describing him. I AM is not a name; as per above quoted.

Haha. Really? Being sarcastic this time. Gosh, don't debate with me. It's in the gospels and Jesus is quoting what his father said to Moses.

If you dont believe me, you're saying that the father did not tell Moses that he said his nature is I AM. You are saying jesus is a lier. I highlighted the verse years ago but when I google it it keeps giving me peoples interpretation of scripture. This is a point blank verse. When I find it, I'll show it to you. It doesnt matter either way, though. Either you believe that jesus said the father told moses that he said to moses I AM or not.

We have a big problem here. If you don't call yourself Christian-someone who has a relationship with christ-then how can you defend the Christian belief insofar that what we say are opinions and interpretations of scripture not based on what we personally believe?

I can't even laugh at this. Disregard religion for a minute.
1. Relationship between language and culture
2. American Deaf Culture (and how ASL/language influences Deaf culture if not defines it)
3. Deaf culture and language
4. World Association of the Deaf
5. Role of Hebrew language and culture

This is not even up for debate. Without language and other aspects of culture, the culture and community that makes it up dies. Language and communication and religion interrelate with one another. Ask any person who has strong ties with their ethnic background and history.

I mean, we can debate everything else, but I am surprised you don't know this as a fact regardless of your religious views.

Remember you and I are not Christian. In my belief, god has no name. God is life. God is a title of how people relate to life and personification of it to relate and live life the best they can. AND their culture, religion, and language makes up their definition or understanding even without definition of their deity or deities.

In Judaism, unless a Jew corrects me, god is not described or defined. Christianity tries to describe god by the name of jesus so they can relate to the father. Without jesus they can't relate to the father; they feel they are separated from him. Most god of abraham religions have a unique and personal tie with the creator without jesus. In judaism, I agree with the jews that god is a mystery, divine, and creator (as per their scripture not my belief) and because of this it is an insult to call him anything. Especially attributing the nature of god to a human as well.

If I were a practicingJew or Muslim, I would be insulted that anyone would describe god in that way. However, just at the moment, scriptural, it doesn't make sense even if it did mention god's name. It describes his natures (love, compassion, according to Christianity) by titles not a personal name. God being person (or object) of worship. Lord, Master, etc are titles not names.

What you believe is different than scripture. However, I cant change your belief, I can just say what makes sense but the language doesn't influence culture part, I just had to laugh. No offense.
:D
I think that this is getting into semantics. I don't think that we are /necessarily, disagreeing with each other enough, to further the debate.

Tumah

Veteran Member
Still not His name. What is His name. That is the question.
Ex. 3:15 "And G-d further said to Moses, 'So shall you say to the children of Israel, 'YHWH, the G-d of your fathers...this is My Name..."

So yeah. Its the Tetragrammaton.

Jedster

Is this discussion only for Biblical people? , and what is the guarantee that they were told His actual name?

Unfortunately, this thread is in the Biblical debates DIR, which is a pity since 'The Name' is talked about in many sacred texts of other belief systems.
Nanak & Kabir ,for instance, talk about it often when they are advising people to look within themselves.

Last edited:

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
Unfortunately, this thread is in the Biblical debates DIR, which is a pity since 'The Name' is talked about in many scared texts of other belief systems.

Just a guess on my part, but I suspect you meant sacred texts.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
He has , or for convenience sake , one can say He has limited Himself with His knowledge of all consequences.
I cannot believe in a limited god like that. I am simply not able.

I think humans invent such limited god images because fictional characters are easier to manipulate and use for human purposes.
Tom

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I've read nearly all the Bible.
It is quite clear to me that naming g-d Jesus is a total abrogation of The First Commandment.
Tom

This is a common opinion of non-theists, however. It's sort of like asking a vegan, what the best hamburger is, in a restaurant.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
This is a common opinion of non-theists, however. It's sort of like asking a vegan, what the best hamburger is, in a restaurant.
Not really.
Muslims and Jews are theists you know.
I would argue that Jesus was a Jew and therefore would have agreed with people like Tumah and not you.
Tom

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Hence, you are just sort of making this up as you go along.

You are proving my point, not refuting it.

Last edited:

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
So Jesus just wants to disagree with me personally?
Nobody knows what Jesus thought about anything. I am not claiming to speak for Him.
When I read the Scripture I find a few things repeated over and over. "You will have no gods before Me".
But when I read Christian theology, none ascribed to Jesus, I see a new god. One not known to Adam, Abraham, Moses, or the prophets.
Looks totally like idolatry to me.
Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.